Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

1 minute ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Just watched the Piers Morgan, Mick Lynch interview. Great to see Lynch perfectly calm and not rising to the obvious baiting Morgan was trying to get out of him. Morgan ends up embarrassing himself yet again and you can tell he’s disappointed he hasn’t managed to get lynch wound up. 

I don’t get it. Lynch is asking him why he has spent 2 mins questioning if he thinks he is as bad as that guy from thunderbirds. I just can’t work out what angle Piers is trying to get at. Absolute idiot. What relevance does a blokes Facebook profile pic have to do with anything ffs.

13 hours ago, Dames said:

The Daily Mail is nothing but a full blown Conservative Propaganda tool at this point. It serves only to stoke division and hatred. 

Agreed. The Daily Mail and The Sun are arguably even more poisonous and divisive than the government themselves. In the last few years, particularly since the EU referendum there seems to have been a relatively rapid shift from right wing views to far right propaganda - it's as though the gloves are off now, they're not even vaguely subtle about their racism and bigotry as they were in the past. In my opinion, they're an absolute cancer on British society.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ttfn said:

Watching Mick Lynch calmly and clearly set out why the strikes are happening to under-prepared presenters and whichever no-name sycophant has been rolled out by the government really puts into perspective the complete lack of knowledge, communication and competence in Westminster. 

For once the person with the facts on their side is holding the whip hand and it makes such a change from the last 5+years of those with the power obfuscating and outright lying to poison the well for everyone.

2 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Just watched the Piers Morgan, Mick Lynch interview. Great to see Lynch perfectly calm and not rising to the obvious baiting Morgan was trying to get out of him. Morgan ends up embarrassing himself yet again and you can tell he’s disappointed he hasn’t managed to get lynch wound up. 

1 hour ago, Tielemans63 said:

Mick Lynch is a hero

Been handing these idiot journos their arses back to them all day.

Long may it continue 

He’s been very impressive over the last few days.

1 hour ago, Tielemans63 said:

Agreed. The Daily Mail and The Sun are arguably even more poisonous and divisive than the government themselves. In the last few years, particularly since the EU referendum there seems to have been a relatively rapid shift from right wing views to far right propaganda - it's as though the gloves are off now, they're not even vaguely subtle about their racism and bigotry as they were in the past. In my opinion, they're an absolute cancer on British society.

Growing up I don't think I knew the Daily Mail existed. Daily Mirror was my Dad's choice. I wonder why.

2 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Why has Piers posted himself getting embarrassed on his own page? I assumed it was someone mocking his pathetic questioning! Same with that earlier Kay Burley clip. 

I think they both subscribe to the concept of "all publicity is good publicity" which of course is absolute bollocks. 

Or maybe they're just rampant narcissists

Or both 

10 hours ago, LVocey said:

The thing with Lynch is he shouldn’t be that impressive. He’s just a bloke who believes in his cause and knows what he’s talking about. But put him up against the piss-poor politicians and interviewers and he looks like a colossus.

this is just the start for me, it will be teachers next, then the police will try to force strike action.

Good on them, every nobhead who clapped them on a Thursday and is now grumbling about them needs to give their heads a wobble 

The thing is, usually news media go out of their way to vet the people they have on to make sure their anchors don't get embarrassed and there's not a risk to the angle or narrative they want to push. 

Good recent example of this that was discussed on here recently was the r/antiwork community going viral on social media because of people's (predominantly millennials) increasing frustrations with the western economy. 

Fox News went out of their way to find a trans/non binary stereotype on the spectrum that lived in their parents basement and hadn't ever had a job. Chatted a load of cliché waffle and made an arse of themselves and by extension a lot of people's very valid concerns. 

"Problem" (for the media) with the rail strikes is they don't really have much option on who they talk to. They have to talk to Lynch just as they had to talk to Crow. But while Crow's bull in a China shop approach made him easy to characterise as the generic, thick bully they wanted all union reps to be viewed as - Lynch in unflappable and stoic. 

It's fantastic to watch but I wouldn't get hopeful that it's any kind of turning point. When the news cycle comes back around they'll be straight back to having Piers Morgan debate some out of their depth student with their heart in the right place but their life experience sorely lacking. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

One fantastic thing that's come from all of this is that there seems to be a distinct lack of Pro-Tory comments in this thread now. I guess they've finally become totally indefensible

Noticed that!!..

And pro Brexit comments too!...

Be nice to hear from people who voted for it and hear their opinions.  Have they regretted voting out?

Would they be in favour of the UK rejoining the EU in the future?

If, on the other hand they think we're benefitting by Brexit, lets hear what those pluses have been?

Lots of friends and family I know that voted out are now keeping VERY quiet about it all.

48 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

One fantastic thing that's come from all of this is that there seems to be a distinct lack of Pro-Tory comments in this thread now. I guess they've finally become totally indefensible

I rather suspect there's plenty on the forum, but they choose to keep quiet, because lets face it - they get battered in here. lol

17 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Noticed that!!..

Be nice to hear from people who voted for it and hear their opinions.  Have they regretted voting out?

If, on the other hand they think we're benefitting by Brexit, lets hear what those pluses have been?

Lots of friends and family I know that voted out are now keeping VERY quiet about it all.

On the Tories, what we’re seeing at the moment doesn’t resemble a Tory party that I’d want to vote for. The lack of honour, the lack of integrity, the lack of any discernible plan, the Republican-esque focus on culture wars. They have had two really unfortunate situations to deal with in Covid and Ukraine, both of which have contributed a lot to current problems, but there are so few signs of competence out there, plus the increasingly erratic behaviour of the so-called Tory press, plus the fact that Labour have a moderate and electable leader - I can’t see why they should get my support right now.

Which I don’t see as a good thing. The Conservative party should stand for something after all - economic prudence, a society of achievement and ambition, personal responsibility and family values. It’s perfectly clear by now that all Boris stands for is himself, and the awful thing is the sheer number of Tory MPs who have joined him in that. I’m not writing the Conservatives off for the future, but they need a clearout, and that won’t happen until they lose a general election badly. If they keep on moving toward the Republicans, I can’t see them ever getting my vote back.

As for Brexit, I voted Brexit, still back Brexit and would vote for it again. I can’t say I’m happy about how it’s going, but I fully expected a period of turbulence. I still think breaking from the EU is a good thing on balance in the longer term, and would only have got harder the longer it went on.

I prefer not to engage in arguments about it anymore though. I’ve had enough misery on that front to last a lifetime. The arguments always end up going around in circles and have ended up with people I like and love getting angry at me for not backing down. It’s possible my health suffered from it. So aside from very occasional bits like this I try to avoid disappearing down that rabbit hole anymore.

Of course, it doesn’t help matters when you get people like Jacob Rees-Mogg scratching around for “benefits of Brexit”, only managing to display in the process that he hasn’t got any clue what he was campaigning for in the first place. To me, Brexit was - and remains - an opportunity for us to define ourselves, to have Brand Britain, one of independent scientific and technological excellence, one of military and diplomatic shrewdness, of being able to respond quickly and flexibly to world events, of being the leader in the global fight against climate change, of believing that Britain and British values are good for the world and worth promoting. Instead we have JRM bringing back imperial measurements.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we ended up back in the EU, given that nobody at the top table has any demonstrable vision for what Brexit Britain. It’s almost like they’re destroying the idea through their own incompetence. However, I can’t imagine the EU would let us back in without significant demands, including joining the Euro. So that argument feels like it’s hiding around the corner in a few years’ time, ready to blow up on society once again. I expect I’ll just shake my head at it sadly and try not to offer an opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LVocey said:

Does anybody know what time we can expect the by-election results to be announced?

They don’t usually get announced until the early hours or the next day, if I remember rightly. Normally the polls close at 10pm.

I don’t know whether there will be an exit poll, but again I don’t think they usually do them for by-elections.

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

Noticed that!!..

No no regrets, no we should never rejoin. The UK economy is outperforming the Eurozone last year and this year on WTO growth figures.

The handling of Brexit has been crap no doubt, but I suppose it was never going to be easy with so many on both sides of the channel against it.

There is no point shouting about it, lots of examples of poor implementation for people to point out so it’s a lose lose situation.

I would point out that the UK has remained important both economically and politically in Europe despite the doomsayers believing Europe = the EU and leaving would make us irrelevant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2