Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

9 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Maybe she thinks the dinosaurs should have negotiated better terms with the meteor instead of going on strike from life?

I bet she’s excited for this new Jurassic world documentary. 

She might have a point?...

Look what happened to inflatable dinosaurs!!

• Haha 2

The swing numbers are almost unprecedented. 

Regarding Dowden, he has repeatedly and wholeheartedly defended De Pfeffel’s conduct. We’re way past the stage of taking the moral high ground and claiming principle when abandoning the rapidly sinking ship. 

Johnson is easily Labour’s biggest electoral asset. His obstinance is destroying the Tories and I’m loving it.

13 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

I wouldn’t read too much into Dowden resigning; the wording of his letter implies he’s either positioned himself as the fall guy or he’s been positioned as the fall guy.

Disagree on the wording 

seems pretty clear to me what he’s saying 

In his comments from Rwanda, Johnson sought to blame these results solely on discontent over the cost of living crisis.

I wonder if he'll therefore seek to save his own skin (the only thing that matters to him) by trying to force the cabinet to hand out more cash to people affected by cost of living issues?

And maybe throw Sunak under the bus if he resists and wants a more balanced, trad Thatcherite budget and room to offer a pre-election tax cut (bribe) in 2023-24?

The Govt should indeed be doing more to alleviate cost of living issues. But this shouldn't be used as yet another ruse for "the greased piglet" (Johnson) to escape judgment and cling to power for narcissistic, self-serving purposes.

The cabinet chose not to act when 41% of Tory MPs voted no confidence in Johnson. Cabinet ministers who happily carry on with Johnson as PM after these results should be deemed unfit to take over as leader when he eventually falls.

In Rwanda, Johnson also mentioned "levelling up" again. What has this meant in practice? A bit of tinkering with free ports, a few pork-barrel projects in marginal constituencies.....and a massive bullshit slogan!

The truth is that 12 years of Tory Govt has produced the OPPOSITE of levelling up. It has produced a large INCREASE in inequality between the rich and the poor, the SE and the North etc.

In fairness, this has happened to varying degrees in most countries in the West. It's a function of globalisation and the centralisation of wealth/power with large corporations with most working people (and their unions) having reduced power.

But the increase in inequality has been WORSE in the UK than in most other countries in the West (it was already worse in the US - not sure how our trajectory compares with theirs, but it's worse than most other nations).

A while back, @ozleicester (I think) posted a good graph showing this - namely how over recent decades the share of output going to corporations has increased, while the share going to working people has fallen.

Of course, the Tory party has to implement various policies (e.g. "patriotic" & victim-blaming policies) to maintain an election-winning coalition. But it's central purpose is expressed in that graph and in the fact that the UK has become more unequal than other countries: to redistribute wealth from people to large corporations, with major trickle-down benefits for Tory ministers individually, for their party, for their mates and for the tiers of society whose interests they serve. A morally corrupt narcissist PM leads a cynical govt serving the interests of the elite (and its own interests).....the party needs to hoof Johnson out, then the country needs to hoof the Tories out.

Edit: Please post that graph again, Oz, if it was you that posted it. It deserved more attention than it got.

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Disagree on the wording 

seems pretty clear to me what he’s saying 

It read to me that he personally had to take responsibility for the by-election disasters, i.e. not Johnson. :dunno:

Ambiguity in what Dowden wrote. It could be read, as Party Chairman, he takes responsibility or by saying "someone should take responsibility" he means Johnson as Leader.

The fact is, we all know Johnson will not resign and he will carry on to oversee the worse General Election defeat ever known. What a ruddy clown, does he not realise there is no "safe" Tory seats now.

1 hour ago, Saxondale said:

It read to me that he personally had to take responsibility for the by-election disasters, i.e. not Johnson. :dunno:

He palpably failed to show any support to the leader in his letter 

he wrote that the activists deserve better - he isn’t writing his epitaph  - he has been banging on doors for the past few weeks and he knows what people are saying to him. (And the foot soldiers) 

he is plainly saying that the leadership has failed the party members and that someone has to take the rap because the leadership won’t 

there were rumours that he was going to be shuffled out anyway so may well be a cheap opportunist shot - but he does open the door for others if they have the bottle. 

Edited by st albans fox

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

Ambiguity in what Dowden wrote. It could be read, as Party Chairman, he takes responsibility or by saying "someone should take responsibility" he means Johnson as Leader.

The fact is, we all know Johnson will not resign and he will carry on to oversee the worse General Election defeat ever known. What a ruddy clown, does he not realise there is no "safe" Tory seats now.

I think Dowden's being given far too much credit.

In my opinion, the speed that letter was released after results came in makes me think it was agreed move that he goes if results were as bad as they were.

I may be wrong, it probably does Johnson no favours but just seems a little too streamlined for me, especially as he was down for all media this morning until his resignation.

34 minutes ago, LVocey said:

I think Dowden's being given far too much credit.

In my opinion, the speed that letter was released after results came in makes me think it was agreed move that he goes if results were as bad as they were.

I may be wrong, it probably does Johnson no favours but just seems a little too streamlined for me, especially as he was down for all media this morning until his resignation.

Remember, there are some in Parliament who are honourable although I agree they are a diminishing band.

2 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

None so blind........

They can see, they simply don’t give a flying fvck. For them it’s all about their (in Nad’s case) religious crusade. For others in cabinet it’s purely self interest. For all of them it’s Dunning Kruger. 

3 hours ago, weller54 said:

Screenshot_20220624_164609_com.android.chrome_edit_783232016478404.jpg

2 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

None so blind........

She is the biggest Tory/Johnson sycophant that's ever lived. Completely devoid of any thoughts or ideas of her own, a sheep in sheep's clothing. 

And her "novels" are shite.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Security probably means he needed to run somewhere away from the hotel.  The fella makes enough bad news on his own without us having to make stiff up. 

All that jogging he does he should look like a Racing snake rather than a tub of lard!!!

• Haha 1