Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

8 hours ago, Captain... said:

But why the show of then jogging into the hotel? If he genuinely wants to keep fit, get a treadmill and while staying away at an exclusive hotel, I'm sure the hotel will allow him book out the gym for an hour. He's just an absolute charlatan, cultivating this image over years all for the honour of going down as the most dishonest, untrustworthy and disgraceful PM ever.

No arguments re his character profile ……… but we don’t know the context …….  he could have been late back ?   I’m struggling to believe that anyone would get out of a car and then jog back into the foyer just for show having not been for a run at all …..  you’d have to be so tone deaf, ignorant and arrogant ……..

Edited by st albans fox

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

No arguments re his character profile ……… but we don’t know the context …….  he could have been late back ?   I’m struggling to believe that anyone would get out of a car and then jog back into the foyer just for show having not been for a run at all …..  you’d have to be so tone deaf, ignorant and arrogant ……..

That is not the run of someone in a hurry, nor the wave of someone doing anything other than playing up to the cameras.

Edited by Captain...

Just now, Captain... said:

That is not the run but of someone in a hurry, nor the wave of someone doing anything other than playing up to the cameras.

The best I can do to defend him is that he was driven somewhere to have his run which denies him the photo op on his return to push his profile of fit/active man …… at best it clearly shows the need for those in positions such as his to alway play to the cameras.  A confident man would just stroll back into the hotel because they know what they’ve just done and care not for the photo op. 

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The best I can do to defend him is that he was driven somewhere to have his run which denies him the photo op on his return to push his profile of fit/active man …… at best it clearly shows the need for those in positions such as his to alway play to the cameras.  A confident man would just stroll back into the hotel because they know what they’ve just done and care not for the photo op. 

I feel like this all started with Cameron, he was spotted a few times out jogging whilst PM and that probably polled well. So now they are all at it. Johnson, Gove, Hancock, Hunt all "papped" out jogging.

15 hours ago, Daggers said:

635803484082445678-ThinkstockPhotos-94993320.webp.jpeg

You're not thinking of the bigger picture, that's job creation right there. Tree surgeon, timber yard and hospital workers to save the crushed limbs of the children crushed by the policies (mild collateral in the scheme of things). 

25 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

You're not thinking of the bigger picture, that's job creation right there. Tree surgeon, timber yard and hospital workers to save the crushed limbs of the children crushed by the policies (mild collateral in the scheme of things). 

But Boris the tree killed 4 people and smashed Moira's car and went through her living room window...

22 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Wee jimmy krankie has proposed a referendum in oct ‘23

with it being an easy argument that  brexit is exacerbating the cost of living crisis (hard to prove a negative), she has a decent chance of getting it through. 

Get it through in what way though? It wouldn’t be legally binding. If I’m in the Remain camp for it, I tell all my supporters to stay at home and completely ignore it. Make the result mean nothing.

10 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Get it through in what way though? It wouldn’t be legally binding. If I’m in the Remain camp for it, I tell all my supporters to stay at home and completely ignore it. Make the result mean nothing.

Yeah good point, wonder if it would even be recognised? There was no international recognised on the Catalonia vote a few years back.

33 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Wee jimmy krankie has proposed a referendum in oct ‘23

with it being an easy argument that  brexit is exacerbating the cost of living crisis (hard to prove a negative), she has a decent chance of getting it through. 

No way she gets a majority. 

I'm pro Independence, always have been but we won't get it. 

Brexit is a massive part of that. It was a sh!t show that caused no end of disturbance not to mention the arguable consequences of it. People will liken that to what may happen if we break free. Not to mention, public confidence in the SNP has fallen greatly the last few years. I myself don't much like what they've become but given my feelings on the Union, don't have much of a choice but to vote for them. 

If it does happen, it will be less than the 45% for that we got last time. No doubt in my mind. 

13 minutes ago, Dunge said:

if Westminster won’t agree to it then yes, it will have little legal basis 

but it will have huge political value AND if the British govt are in the business of chucking around international law like it’s a piece of kitchen waste then who is to say that some European counties wouldn’t recognise Scotland ???? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scotch said:

No way she gets a majority. 

I'm pro Independence, always have been but we won't get it. 

Brexit is a massive part of that. It was a sh!t show that caused no end of disturbance not to mention the arguable consequences of it. People will liken that to what may happen if we break free. Not to mention, public confidence in the SNP has fallen greatly the last few years. I myself don't much like what they've become but given my feelings on the Union, don't have much of a choice but to vote for them. 

If it does happen, it will be less than the 45% for that we got last time. No doubt in my mind. 

She can get a commitment from Brussels that they would accept an independent Scotland into the EU 

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

if Westminster won’t agree to it then yes, it will have little legal basis 

but it will have huge political value AND if the British govt are in the business of chucking around international law like it’s a piece of kitchen waste then who is to say that some European counties wouldn’t recognise Scotland ???? 

That’s exactly why if you’re in the Remain camp, you stay at home. An unofficial referendum result would only even have any symbolic credence if it beat something. If all the remainers stay home, the leave camp gets a massive % win but actually beats nothing, because nobody knows what the remain vote would be. They’d only be able to even claim any symbolic victory with over 50% of the possible vote, beating both remain and non-voters, and I’m pretty certain they wouldn’t get that. There would still be ambiguity. Who’s going to recognise Scotland as independent on the back of that?

Genuinely, the way to beat Sturgeon on this issue is to ignore her. She desperately needs for people to take her seriously to give her any legitimacy.

I start to get the feeling that the SNP and the Tories need each other. If Johnson stands firm on a potential referendum before the next GE, the chance of him winning increases. And the more popular he is, the more popular the SNP are. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

I start to get the feeling that the SNP and the Tories need each other. If Johnson stands firm on a potential referendum before the next GE, the chance of him winning increases. And the more popular he is, the more popular the SNP are. 

That is the potential irony in all of this.

33 minutes ago, Dunge said:

What about if it isn't legally binding in a limited and specific way?

18 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

She can get a commitment from Brussels that they would accept an independent Scotland into the EU 

She won't get that from Spain if they push ahead with an illegal referendum

14 minutes ago, Beechey said:

She won't get that from Spain if they push ahead with an illegal referendum

I doubt Spain would care that much. They will just say it's different from Catalonia.

Biggest thing remainers will lean on is that Scotland has to join both Schengen and the Euro if it rejoins the EU based on current EU rules, which means they'd have to be a hard border with both the remaining part of the UK and Ireland as it couldn't join both Schengen and rejoin the CTA and while Scottish and Irish citizens could move freely through both being in the EU, Scottish and British citizens couldn't, they'll be campaigns about all the families it would break up you'd imagine.

Edited by Sampson