Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

21 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Someone do a drake meme. 

“Man holds regular parties against his own rules then lies about it for months”

vs 

“Man has a beer and curry within the rules and is honest about it”

Weird thing to bang on about it so much as surely they realise it just puts the pressure back on Boris if Starmer were to resign.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Weird thing to bang on about it so much as surely they realise it just puts the pressure back on Boris if Starmer were to resign.

Desperation to get through a days headlines. Ironically this isn’t even mentioned on the mail front page which is the most highly critical of Johnson for months. He’s in trouble now. 

On 01/07/2022 at 15:42, Bellend Sebastian said:

I've literally just made this up, but I like to think that Chris Pincher was made to go and grab a couple of blokes' balls to take the heat away from the Johnson getting sucked off by Carrie story as it happened on literally the day that came out.

If I were the Tory comms director I would totally do that. 'Chris you absolute f***wit, it's time for you to do your part in Operation Save Big Dog. You're a team player, aren't you? Get out there and grab those balls and grab them good. You can have another cabinet job when everyone's forgotten about it, probably the week after next?'

I absolutely believe this too.

3 hours ago, Daggers said:

I absolutely believe this too.

I wonder if we're getting to the stage where there are openings for those willing to take a bullet (not literally); a sort of professional fall on one's sworderer. Because if so, I'll admit to pretty much anything for cash!

53 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I wonder if we're getting to the stage where there are openings for those willing to take a bullet (not literally); a sort of professional fall on one's sworderer. Because if so, I'll admit to pretty much anything for cash!

Odd. I'm prepared to deny everything regardless of recompense. This is like Darth meeting Luke for the first time.

Interesting to see the mail on Sunday front page chucking out a bad headline for Boris ….. 

I know it will make some of you feel a bit ick but worth looking at the front pages of the mail this week to see if they have flipped against BJ.  Surely the end is nigh if that the case.

This was why the Labour left are a bit dim. More people vote for other parties than the Tories but the way boundaries work means they maintain and keep power. 

You can have 10 million people in London be for the train strikes but if a majority are against it in Shrewsbury, you get the same amount of seats as you would anyway. 

Labour have to appeal somehow to others, cos simply going after the same old voters won’t get you in power 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

This was why the Labour far left are a bit dim. More people vote for other parties than the Tories but the way boundaries work means they maintain and keep power. 

You can have 10 million people in London be for the train strikes but if a majority are against it in Shrewsbury, you get the same amount of seats as you would anyway. 

Labour have to appeal somehow to others, cos simply going after the same old voters won’t get you in power 

Corbyn's most ardent fans are so much like Trump supporters it's almost uncanny. Here they are raising money for a ****ing millionaire whose wealth already came from their taxes via an MP salary for 40 years.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Corbyn's most ardent fans are so much like Trump supporters it's almost uncanny. Here they are raising money for a ****ing millionaire whose wealth already came from their taxes via an MP salary for 40 years.

I just looked into this online as it was the first I'd heard of it....particularly as it misleadingly associates Corbyn's supposed need for a legal fund with his allegedly "shameful" treatment by Starmer & allies in the Labour Party.

As I thought, neither Starmer nor the Labour Party is suing Corbyn for anything. He's just had the party whip removed for openly challenging the findings of its anti-semitism investigation.

It seems the legal fund was established a couple of years ago - and most of the funds obtained back then. It was meant to fund the defence of a libel case due to be brought by a Panorama journalist, alleging Corbyn had libeled his professional integrity. However, that case was settled out of court when the Labour Party made a large compensation payment to the journalist.

The large sum collected has now reportedly been handed to Corbyn, who is looking after it in a dedicated bank account. But the fund organisers now want to use the funds collected for a different case, the one brought by a blogger/campaigner, again alleging libel by Corbyn about his behaviour at a meeting after he'd circulated the recording of Corbyn commenting that "Zionists" had "no sense of English irony". Corbyn has lost the initial appeal so it's now due to go to High Court.

Not sure what Mr. Tweedale is so "proud" about funding....and it seems to have sod all to do with fighting Starmer or Labour, as he implies.

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Labour making the smart choice, there. You can either be right or you can win. Plenty of the Red Wall voted for Brexit, as did Tories disillusioned with Boris and it's evident that this form of Brexit serves no one. If Labour can pivot, blame Tories for cocking it up (as the Tories blamed them for everything), then they're onto a winner. 

• Like 4

Good news for anyone who supports proportional representation in this country. Labour in Wales have voted to back a new system there which will involve voters electing six candidates each to represent larger constituencies.

https://nation.cymru/news/welsh-labour-vote-to-back-senedd-reform/

Hope this can be replicated at UK level. I've said it before on a previous version of this thread but Leicestershire & Rutland electing 10 MPs in total, rather than 10 areas electing one MP each, would deliver a much more accurate picture and mean far fewer votes are wasted. If recent elections are anything to go by, you'd get a far more equal split of Tory and Labour representing the counties' people than the 7-3 split we got in 2019. Plus, there's every chance other parties would be able to return MPs too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, weller54 said:

Starmer making a speech later about how Labour will 'make Brexit work '!!...

They should be backing a 'rejoining the EU ' campaign, so the Lib Dems will get my vote at the next GE.

You might as well vote for Boris then :doh:

40 minutes ago, bovril said:

Not a massive expert on the EU but I'm imagining we can't just rejoin the SM/CU on a whim anyway? We certainly can't rejoin the whole EU. 

It’s not like a gym membership then? 

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

Starmer making a speech later about how Labour will 'make Brexit work '!!...

They should be backing a 'rejoining the EU ' campaign, so the Lib Dems will get my vote at the next GE.

Even the Lib Dems don't support rejoining the EU in the short-term. They support rejoining the Single Market and have a long-term aspiration to rejoin the EU.

Although Labour don't go that far in the short-term, their policy might not be so different in the long-term: in the short-term, they're backing a closer UK-EU relationship in various ways: improving N. Ireland trade problem, membership of scientific research bodies, rights for touring musicians etc. In the longer-term, the hope will be that voters see the benefits of a closer relationship with the EU and the disadvantages of a Hard Brexit. Depending on events and voters' opinions, it wouldn't surprise me if Labour is backing membership of the Single Market or even a full return to the EU by the election after next.

Calling for the UK to rejoin the EU at the next election would be electoral suicide for Labour. Not only would it lose crucial votes in Red Wall marginals, it would also alienate people all round the country who simply didn't want the whole Brexit can of worms opened up again - including some Remainers. There's also the small  matter of whether the EU would want all the hassle of us rejoining immediately, after years of nightmare Brexit negotiations - highly unlikely.

It might feel good to call for us to rejoin the EU (I voted Remain myself and opposed the Tory choice of a Hard Brexit) - just as it felt good to Corbyn supporters to demand mass nationalisation and high public spending - but if the result of doing so is that we end up with yet another hideous Tory Govt, is the feeling of personal purity worth it? Compromise often achieves a lot more than purity....

If you're in a Con-Lab marginal constituency, a LD vote simply improves the chances for the Tories. Likewise, a Lab vote in a Tory-LD marginal.  That's unfair but that's our electoral system - and realistically the best chance of electoral reform to eliminate that problem is for Labour to be the biggest party at Westminster, but reliant on Lib Dem support. 

• Like 3