Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

11 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Yes, as someone who joins Generation Bootlick in a few weeks (if 60 is the threshold), I've never voted Tory in my life and hope I never will.

I know there's some validity in your generalisation, Dames, and a bit of poetic licence, but it would be unfair of me to describe young people as Generation ArseSit just because 50% don't vote, whereas 80% of pensioners do. 

It would be good to know why older people become more reactionary, a long-term trend. The current generation of (mainly) Tory-voting geriatrics weren't always like that. Perhaps you'll join Generation Bootlick in a few decades? :whistle:

I mean, take a 74-year-old.....

- Born 1948

- 1966 election: aged 18, mainly votes in a majority Labour Govt

- 1967: aged 19, grows hair, smokes pot and enjoys the Summer of Love

- 1970s: aged 22-32, again mainly votes in Labour Govts

- 1980s: aged 32-42, switches to Thatcher

- 1997: aged 49, mainly votes for Blair's New Labour

- 2010-2022: Generation Bootlick

......what the fvck was that all  about?!? :huh:

No it would be completely fair of you to describe them as Generation Arsesit. The problem with a lot of young people is that they are easily distracted and pick the wrong battles. They'd rather fight over ambiguous JK Rowling tweets than try to force any real change in what's going on around them, they lack the experience to step back and see that there's a bigger picture and battles have to be picked carefully. Everything they want will eventually fall into place as long as they pick the right fights/causes and when.

Generation Bootlick is a more generalised term for life time Tory supporters rather than swing voters. Picking a political side traditionally is like picking a football team, once you pick that's it you're stuck for life no matter what. There's a generation of people that have been life time Tory voters for a party has done next to nothing for them but they live by the words 'know your betters'. Most of them have a picture of the Queen in their house somewhere etc. 

People are waking up from the brainwashing and realising that just because someone was born with a silver spoon they are not better than common folk and don't have a divine right to rule. Give it 20 or so years and most of new MP's etc won't be Oxbridge graduates from privately educated backgrounds.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Corruption would indicate that there’s some brains behind this. It’s just sheer incompetence designed to constantly cover his own back. 

I'd hesitate to give them the benefit of the doubt about them being stupid rather than being actively sinister. For me the latter just constantly becomes more obvious

2 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I'd hesitate to give them the benefit of the doubt about them being stupid rather than being actively sinister. For me the latter just constantly becomes more obvious

I’d argue just like Trump, they’re so obsessed with opinion polls, being in power and subsequently doing nothing with that power apart from profiting, that the lines are a bit blurred. 

This government has the biggest majority since Blair and has literally done nothing with it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Its a mixture of both. They try to flaunt the rules as they don't think they apply but are too stupid to realise the consequences and how to handle them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dames said:

No it would be completely fair of you to describe them as Generation Arsesit. The problem with a lot of young people is that they are easily distracted and pick the wrong battles. They'd rather fight over ambiguous JK Rowling tweets than try to force any real change in what's going on around them, they lack the experience to step back and see that there's a bigger picture and battles have to be picked carefully. Everything they want will eventually fall into place as long as they pick the right fights/causes and when.

Generation Bootlick is a more generalised term for life time Tory supporters rather than swing voters. Picking a political side traditionally is like picking a football team, once you pick that's it you're stuck for life no matter what. There's a generation of people that have been life time Tory voters for a party has done next to nothing for them but they live by the words 'know your betters'. Most of them have a picture of the Queen in their house somewhere etc. 

People are waking up from the brainwashing and realising that just because someone was born with a silver spoon they are not better than common folk and don't have a divine right to rule. Give it 20 or so years and most of new MP's etc won't be Oxbridge graduates from privately educated backgrounds.

Cheers. I know there are lifelong older Tory voters who fit your description - and lifelong, unthinking Labour voters, for that matter.

I hope you're right that younger generations now are changing their attitudes and the political balance will shift in coming years. God knows younger generations now have enough reason to reject the status quo (lack of job security, lack of affordable housing, tuition fees, poorer pensions, poorer social provision etc.).

But it's been a trend for decades that young people disproportionately vote Left (or don't vote) and older people disproportionately turn out and vote Right. That means that many current older Tory voters are the same people who voted in Labour Govts in 1964, 1966, 1974, 1997 etc. The same people who were rockers in the 50s or hippies in the 60s or punks in the 70s......worth trying to understand why that happens.

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

Cheers. I know there are lifelong older Tory voters who fit your description - and lifelong, unthinking Labour voters, for that matter.

I hope you're right that younger generations now are changing their attitudes and the political balance will shift in coming years. God knows younger generations now have enough reason to reject the status quo (lack of job security, lack of affordable housing, tuition fees, poorer pensions, poorer social provision etc.).

But it's been a trend for decades that young people disproportionately vote Left (or don't vote) and older people disproportionately turn out and vote Right. That means that many current older Tory voters are the same people who voted in Labour Govts in 1964, 1966, 1974, 1997 etc. The same people who were rockers in the 50s or hippies in the 60s or punks in the 70s......worth trying to understand why that happens.

Its easy. They brought property, it increased in value and they want to vote for a Government that will maximize that value. Money makes a lot of people sell out.

Its completely different today because you can't buy a house for 5 grand and watch it soar to 500 grand now. Most people struggle to buy a house, the Tories are too busy making the calculated decision to look after the pensioners ignoring the fact that there is a tidal wave of young people that are on a completely different trajectory that don't have the same opportunities than 30-40 years ago. 

4 minutes ago, Dames said:

Its easy. They brought property, it increased in value and they want to vote for a Government that will maximize that value. Money makes a lot of people sell out.

Its completely different today because you can't buy a house for 5 grand and watch it soar to 500 grand now. Most people struggle to buy a house, the Tories are too busy making the calculated decision to look after the pensioners ignoring the fact that there is a tidal wave of young people that are on a completely different trajectory that don't have the same opportunities than 30-40 years ago. 

Completely agree with your second paragraph - and I'm sure property & self-interest is a factor. 

I wonder if it's as simple as that, though. After all, older generations shifting Right preceded mass property ownership - though it is true that there's now a greater polarisation between Tory-voting old and Lab/LD-voting (or abstaining) young.

Also, a lot of older people who had been lifelong Labour voters switched to the Tories in 2019 because of Brexit and/or Boris v. Corbyn, but many now seem to be abandoning the Tories again (:fc:) despite house prices still being high and having risen sharply since 2019...... 

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Completely agree with your second paragraph - and I'm sure property & self-interest is a factor. 

I wonder if it's as simple as that, though. After all, older generations shifting Right preceded mass property ownership - though it is true that there's now a greater polarisation between Tory-voting old and Lab/LD-voting (or abstaining) young.

Also, a lot of older people who had been lifelong Labour voters switched to the Tories in 2019 because of Brexit and/or Boris v. Corbyn, but many now seem to be abandoning the Tories again (:fc:) despite house prices still being high and having risen sharply since 2019...... 

I think the press managed to use the nostalgia of cold war propaganda to turn most people over the age of 50 against Corbyn. That line won't work anymore and more people will switch back because they don't see communism as a legitimate threat anymore. 

I mean Corbyn really did not help himself and some of the stuff he's done since reeks of a huge ego problem. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I’d argue just like Trump, they’re so obsessed with opinion polls, being in power and subsequently doing nothing with that power apart from profiting, that the lines are a bit blurred. 

This government has the biggest majority since Blair and has literally done nothing with it. 

15 minutes ago, Dames said:

Its a mixture of both. They try to flaunt the rules as they don't think they apply but are too stupid to realise the consequences and how to handle them.

That's the thing, this still gives them the benefit of the doubt. Even if you put the mishandling of the pandemic to the side for a minute you've got national insurance rises, cost of living crisis being ignored, Universal Credit cut (and I can tell you from my experience, open hostility towards claimants), refusing to feed starving children, writing off fraud, refusing to give pay rises to essential workers etc. While at the same time campaigning to remove restrictions on what the highest "earners" can "earn". They're elitist extremists actively making life harder for everyone else.

56 minutes ago, Dames said:

Funny thing is the generation before (Wartime) knew only too well that their so called betters needed booting out. Hence the Labour landslide of 1945. Of course the Tories got back in from early 50s until Harold Wilson in 60s. Thatcher conned a lot of folk into thinking they were middle class. To a large extent the country has become more selfish and fractured.

59 minutes ago, Dames said:

These same people don't seem to care about the younger people. I suppose they might leave their house to their children but where are they living in the meantime.  Galling also to see a former council house bought cheap then rented out privately at a rent that many can't afford to pay. 

2 hours ago, RoboFox said:

There's such a constant stream of scandals that I'm starting to hope that they're engineering it all to distract us from something much more sinister. :ph34r:

I'm struggling to fathom the sheer scale of the corruption. 

Perverts and pissheads.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, foxes1988 said:

There seems to of been a definite shift against the government in the media now.  I don't think hell make it to the next election the Tories will boot him out before then.

Dan Hodges is adamant that the tide has shifted in the Tory Party and its the end of Boris.

Heard that before. Boris is herpes personified. 

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Perverts and pissheads.

50 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

New album by Liam Gallagher. Out NOW.

The Pogues got there first. They even had a picture of the cabinet on the album cover...

image.jpeg.c282fbe89cf603202c33afe77651ab2c.jpeg

2 hours ago, Dames said:

Dan Hodges is adamant that the tide has shifted in the Tory Party and its the end of Boris.

Heard that before. Boris is herpes personified. 

I maintain that he’s only still there in order to keep the new person away from the current cost of living crisis that will expose anyone coming in as seeming to be impotent.  The more time that passes, I think the hope is that things might improve a bit. 

it wouldn’t surprise me to get an announcement from him that he’s going to leave office on a specified date in the late autumn.  That means he leaves on his terms rather than seeming to be kicked out 

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I maintain that he’s only still there in order to keep the new person away from the current cost of living crisis that will expose anyone coming in as seeming to be impotent.  The more time that passes, I think the hope is that things might improve a bit. 

it wouldn’t surprise me to get an announcement from him that he’s going to leave office on a specified date in the late autumn.  That means he leaves on his terms rather than seeming to be kicked out 

His ego is the only thing keeping him going. I’m surprised a bit really because his master plan before covid was to ‘reform’ the Prime Minister role and have it as a more Chairman of the Board type role so he could theoretically pick up a few lucrative side gigs.

The more time that passes the more toxic his brand becomes and the after dinner circuit and book deals that generally come after for UK PMs might be in danger as no one will want to touch his brand.