Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

54 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

"... I would still vote Tory"

Is all you needed to type.

I wouldn't today, and I am indeed happy to se the back of Scomo over here for a decent Labor replacement.  Probably not forever though!

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Again, not sure where the 'we' comes from seeing as you don't live here.

The entire "But Corbyn" argument is complete horseshit.

95% of my pension does, along with most of my family and friends.

Yes it is, but so is "we should have voted Corbyn to avoid this" when we have no idea how that might have turned out.

Anyway, here's hoping Boris is gone by the end of the week at the latest, along with his motely crew of idiots, and we never ever have to hear from Nadine ever again.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Wonder if the commitee change the rules to allow another vote of no confidence whether he'll survive or not. Surely not... Right?

Someone was speaking on the radio this morning saying that Johnson’s biggest task over the next week is to make sure he fills the ‘22 committee election with allies on the ballot sheet 

could he manage that ?

of course looking ahead he then his the privileges committee to face (I think he is due to give evidence today in addition to PMQ’s)

but the way he failed to answer  two questions about ‘pincher by name, pincher by nature’ on the bbc yesterday, he’ll likely just bat everything away 

54 minutes ago, Diffco said:

"Just as morally bankrupt as Johnson" 

Not in any way, shape or form. Boris has dug himself holes his entire life, but somehow managed to dig upwards into ever more higher positions of authority, and shat the bed with every one. 

He has become a remarkable example of how someone with zero moral compass and a brilliant memory can bullshit their way to the very top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Dear 'Corbyn would have been worse'-ites - just go and bloody well read Animal Farm by George Orwell, and Lord of the Flies, by William Golding, and then have a long hard think. Please.

they are both works of fiction ……..

As I posted earlier, no one knows how a corbyn led govt would have worked out.  So it’s a pointless argument from both sides. 

now back to reality - you can actually watch in real live technicolour the final period of Johnson’s administration.  Whether it’s a one off production or a series lasting three or four months is unknown …..

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

…He’s just as morally bankrupt as Johnson, albeit it a slightly different way.

An utterly ridiculous statement. 

His entire life has been spent following a moral code - you not liking it doesn’t negate it - one he’s barely deviated from in Parliament. 

• Like 3

It sounds very much as if he'll be gone within 1-2 weeks.

It seems clear he won't go voluntarily, but 41% of MPs voted no confidence last time and that has surely increased to well above 50% now.

There are clearly plans to elect a new slate of candidates to the 1922 Committee - with a specific mandate to change the party rules so as to allow another confidence vote.

With the rules changed, there would immediately be enough letters to trigger another confidence vote. They'd presumably have to give some notice of that vote, but no more than a few days or a week?

Having been opposed by 41% last time, Johnson would surely be voted out by more than 50% of Tory MPs after the latest corrupt and dishonest fiascos and resignations?

Maybe he'd see the writing on the wall and resign if they changed the 1922 executive and/or confidence vote rules, but it wouldn't surprise me if his ego meant he took it all the way to a lost confidence vote.

13 minutes ago, Daggers said:

An utterly ridiculous statement. 

His entire life has been spent following a moral code - you not liking it doesn’t negate it - one he’s barely deviated from in Parliament. 

Iran tortures journalists, has executed rape victims for 'adultery' and persecutes homosexuals. Corbyn took money to appear on the country's state propaganda channel. He also actively turned a blind eye to virulent anti-antisemitism in his own party. He has openly supported some of the most vile regimes on the planet and expressed solidarity with terrorist organisations. When in office he surrounded himself with Stalin apologists and antisemitic crackpots. He is so pumped up on his view that the west is inherently imperialistic that he will take sides with any country or organisation that shares that view, no matter how repugnant they are.

These are moral failings. Your failure to understand that doesn't negate it.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Iran tortures journalists, has executed rape victims for 'adultery' and persecutes homosexuals. Corbyn took money to appear on the country's state propaganda channel. He also actively turned a blind eye to virulent anti-antisemitism in his own party. He has openly supported some of the most vile regimes on the planet and expressed solidarity with terrorist organisations. When in office he surrounded himself with Stalin apologists and antisemitic crackpots. He is so pumped up on his view that the west is inherently imperialistic that he will take sides with any country or organisation that shares that view, no matter how repugnant they are.

Exactly.  The fact we had to choose between these two complete Scunthorpes is forever a stain on our democracy.

6 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Exactly.  The fact we had to choose between these two complete Scunthorpes is forever a stain on our democracy.

Two of the biggest own goals by Labour was electing Michael Foot and Jeremy Corbyn as leaders. That was in the past. Malcolm Rifkind was right when he said the Tories all knew Johnson could win elections but a liar and cheat who could never govern.

5 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Two of the biggest own goals by Labour was electing Michael Foot and Jeremy Corbyn as leaders. That was in the past. Malcolm Rifkind was right when he said the Tories all knew Johnson could win elections but a liar and cheat who could never govern.

This is the thing everyone knew what Johnson was like not just the Tories but the electorate who voted him in.  Mainly because most people are happy to die on the brexit hill and he had brexit 'oven ready' after finally getting the Tories to agree on what was a very similar deal to what May was offering in the first place.  We all just collateral damage to the tory in fighting for the last 8/10 years. 

I'm sure Boris will go soon and people complicit in this corrupt government will get elected at the next GE as they ain't Johnson or Starmer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, foxes1988 said:

This is the thing everyone knew what Johnson was like not just the Tories but the electorate who voted him in.  Mainly because most people are happy to die on the brexit hill and he had brexit 'oven ready' after finally getting the Tories to agree on what was a very similar deal to what May was offering in the first place.  We all just collateral damage to the tory in fighting for the last 8/10 years. 

I'm sure Boris will go soon and people complicit in this corrupt government will get elected at the next GE as they ain't Johnson or Starmer.

Sad reflection on the voters

• Like 2

If/when Boris is kicked out, who do we reckon will get the gig as Tory leader/PM until the inevitable election 6 months later?

Cant think of a standout candidate the majority of Tory MPs would agree on.

1 hour ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Like you I’ve voted Tory since 18. I pretty much concer with everything you’ve written. What I want is Johnson gone, and every cabinet member still supporting him, they’re defending the indefensible. For godsake get this utter moron out before he destroys the party. 

Thanks for the reply.

Hasten to add I voted Tory when 18, not since. Big difference lol

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

The only people supporting Boris now are those who are either so wedded to him they cannot admit their failings, or those with some personal benefit.  This applies to MPs and voters I guess.

I really hope the Conservative party can find a new direction, and fast.  At the moment, as in Australia, a term of Labour looks the most likely next step.

Not just Johnson though, is it? From which seat will the next sexual predator emerge?

58 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I'm a left leaning Labour member myself and it is really hard to argue against these points. For all of the good ideas and policies he wanted to enact domestically he aligned himself with some very questionable organisations.

In the end Corbyn has an ego the size of a planet, he chose to put out a statement when an investigation found that there was antisemetic behaviour happening in the party and refused to apologise. The only defence the man and his supporters have is that he has apparently been so antiracist his entire life he couldn't be antisemetic.. Because as you know, an old straight white man has a deep understanding and experience of racism right?

I'm also no fan of Starmer, he's done well bringing the extreme of the party to heel but his opposition to the Tories has been highly ineffective. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Nalis said:

If/when Boris is kicked out, who do we reckon will get the gig as Tory leader/PM until the inevitable election 6 months later?

Cant think of a standout candidate the majority of Tory MPs would agree on.

If I was a current Tory MP I wouldn’t consider anyone in Johnson’s cabinet either past or present, they 

are too damaged.

• Like 1