Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

22 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Not just Johnson though, is it? From which seat will the next sexual predator emerge?

Obviously not a Tory voter and they may have the worse culture for it (certainly the most brazen acts of it at least) but I’d be very surprised if this isn’t a cross-bench or issue at it’s heart, probably exacerbated on the Conservative side bt Johnson’s complete lack of standards or conduct in party leadership. 

These matters generally aren’t political (although as I mentioned they can be worsened by certain ‘views’) and it’s important to remember that power can corrupt whether you consider the politician on the ‘good side’ or not. A local Labour MP wasn’t that long ago done on stalking/harassment charges.

But to circle back and underline: clearly the poor leadership we’re seeing is allowing a lot more of this though, so I do get your point.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dames said:

I'm a left leaning Labour member myself and it is really hard to argue against these points. For all of the good ideas and policies he wanted to enact domestically he aligned himself with some very questionable organisations.

In the end Corbyn has an ego the size of a planet, he chose to put out a statement when an investigation found that there was antisemetic behaviour happening in the party and refused to apologise. The only defence the man and his supporters have is that he has apparently been so antiracist his entire life he couldn't be antisemetic.. Because as you know, an old straight white man has a deep understanding and experience of racism right?

I'm also no fan of Starmer, he's done well bringing the extreme of the party to heel but his opposition to the Tories has been highly ineffective. 

If Durham police decide to fine Starmer (which should become clear soon), the next election may well be Sunak vs Streeting...

• Sad 1

This fragmentation of government is surely a case of the rats staying on the sinking ship - in the hope that some miracle will keep it afloat.

But I suspect these are the last days of the European Research Group and its hangers-on. My fear is that another unfit-to-govern will be foisted on us by the Tory Party membership - not that I have any allegiance to Conservatism. For a short period, after 1950 and up to 1974 it could be said that Tory governments paid lip service to morality and integrity and I suspect Thatcher had a certain twisted set of standards, but, from Cameron onwards, it's been akin to a drunk walking home and hitting every obstacle on the pavement.

Johnson had one intention - to become PM and then enjoy the high life it would bring. Nothing more. Covid was his first kick-up-the-arse encounter with reality. Since then he's lived a Nero-esque life. Now it's about to end. Yet it's not reassuring - just a relief. The only positive thing he's done is to support the Zelensky government. He has Putin to thank for making him the most popular foreign politician in Ukraine. Perhaps they'll give him a job.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Crumbling like a deck of cards, but he won't resign, he'll have to be forced out.

Sir Craig Oliver, who was former prime minister David Cameron’s director of communications, says a cabinet minister told him that Boris Johnson had said "it would take a flamethrower to get me out of Downing Street".

Wonder if we could give the Black Rod powers to use a flamethrower... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Sir Craig Oliver, who was former prime minister David Cameron’s director of communications, says a cabinet minister told him that Boris Johnson had said "it would take a flamethrower to get me out of Downing Street".

Wonder if we could give the Black Rod powers to use a flamethrower... 

Why am I reminded of that old Simpsons episode where Homer unknowingly works for a supervillain. And that image of him maniacally laughing while wielding a flamethrower?

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

Like a staunch dictator who refuses to leave. 

A lamppost makes for a handy dictator removal device…and would make for a better suspended picture than the other images frequently found on t’internet. 

41 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

If Durham police decide to fine Starmer (which should become clear soon), the next election may well be Sunak vs Streeting...

Lisa Nandy will get my vote to be honest. Its time for something a bit different a true working class voice. 

(And before anyone says it, Corbyn was privately educated and grew up in a manor he wouldn't know working class if it smacked him in the face).

Just now, Dames said:

Lisa Nandy will get my vote to be honest. Its time for something a bit different a true working class voice. 

(And before anyone says it, Corbyn was privately educated and grew up in a manor he wouldn't know working class if it smacked him in the face).

I've always liked Andy Burnham, personally. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Have we ever had a siege in Downing Street before?

The last time we had a de facto dictator leading Parliament, having little support from the house, prorogued Parliament, gave himself a fancy title, and led it for three years until he died.

Cromwell was dug up after his death, beheaded and popped on a spike.

We could fast forward to that final bit. Get Ant and Dec to do it live on a Saturday night show.

11 minutes ago, Daggers said:

The last time we had a de facto dictator leading Parliament, having little support from the house, prorogued Parliament, gave himself a fancy title, and led it for three years until he died.

Cromwell was dug up after his death, beheaded and popped on a spike.

We could fast forward to that final bit. Get Ant and Dec to do it live on a Saturday night show.

Charles 1 was the idiot who kicked it all off

I know expenses are something that a lot of MPs have abused over the years. But the current Chancellor claimed around £5000 of energy expenses for his personal business (stables) about 10 years ago. This man now has his hands on the nations economy.