Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

1 hour ago, Finnaldo said:

Obviously not a Tory voter and they may have the worse culture for it (certainly the most brazen acts of it at least) but I’d be very surprised if this isn’t a cross-bench or issue at it’s heart, probably exacerbated on the Conservative side bt Johnson’s complete lack of standards or conduct in party leadership. 

These matters generally aren’t political (although as I mentioned they can be worsened by certain ‘views’) and it’s important to remember that power can corrupt whether you consider the politician on the ‘good side’ or not. A local Labour MP wasn’t that long ago done on stalking/harassment charges.

But to circle back and underline: clearly the poor leadership we’re seeing is allowing a lot more of this though, so I do get your point.

Totally, Claudia Webbe is case in point. You have to be a narcissist to some point as a MP and it’s rife amongst the HoC

• Like 2

This is hilarious. I watch pmqs regularly and he can usually bully starmer but today he clearly looks tired, confused and befuddled. He’s barely coherent. 

I used to work with Ben Everitt who got the first question, shame no one cares about him 

26 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

This is hilarious. I watch pmqs regularly and he can usually bully starmer but today he clearly looks tired, confused and befuddled. He’s barely coherent. 

I used to work with Ben Everitt who got the first question, shame no one cares about him 

Eh? He usually just spouts a bunch of boring, and often untrue, stock lines whatever he's asked. You could count on one hand the number of PMQs he's actually won.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Eh? He usually just spout a bunch of boring, and often untrue, stock lines whatever he's asked. You could count on one hand the number of PMQs he's actually won.

Probably not the way I see it. Boris can usually set the agenda and bat away Starmers questions with his briefed lines. I think Blackford gives him a harder time 

4 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Probably not the way I see it. Boris can usually set the agenda and bat away Starmers questions with his briefed lines. I think Blackford gives him a harder time 

Not sure he can usually bully Starmer though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

The last time we had a de facto dictator leading Parliament, having little support from the house, prorogued Parliament, gave himself a fancy title, and led it for three years until he died.

Cromwell was dug up after his death, beheaded and popped on a spike.

We could fast forward to that final bit. Get Ant and Dec to do it live on a Saturday night show.

To be fair Cromwell also destroyed our the hard fought peaceful relationship with the Irish, dealt in extreme nepotism and was a massive ego-centrist.

Whereas Boris… (you get the idea :P)

• Haha 1

Just now, Sampson said:

To be fair Cromwell also destroyed our the hard fought peaceful relationship with the Irish, dealt in extreme nepotism and was a massive ego-centrist.

Whereas Boris… (you get the idea :P)

Also, the Puritans were repressive religious zealots of the very worst type. Sadly, you can still see their influence stateside.

19 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Carry a knife and end up behind bars, something the majority of us support I imagine.

Yes so long as the grey areas are understood. I use Stanley knives at work and occasionally forget they are still in my pocket when I go down the pub.

Comes in handy if I get in a fight though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnaldo said:

Obviously not a Tory voter and they may have the worse culture for it (certainly the most brazen acts of it at least) but I’d be very surprised if this isn’t a cross-bench or issue at it’s heart, probably exacerbated on the Conservative side bt Johnson’s complete lack of standards or conduct in party leadership. 

These matters generally aren’t political (although as I mentioned they can be worsened by certain ‘views’) and it’s important to remember that power can corrupt whether you consider the politician on the ‘good side’ or not. A local Labour MP wasn’t that long ago done on stalking/harassment charges.

But to circle back and underline: clearly the poor leadership we’re seeing is allowing a lot more of this though, so I do get your point.

I've mentioned this before but there was a Labour MP interviewed on Radio 4 I reckon six or seven years ago who said sexual impropriety and in particular the exploitation of junior and often unpaid staff who were looking to progress was endemic, was a problem on both sides of the house and was such a huge issue that when it was eventually exposed everyone would wonder how it had been allowed to go on for so long.

Are we drawing closer to the day of reckoning for this particular issue, I wonder?

I think it's less of a Tory/Labour thing and more of a power and privilege thing. You could be the CEO of a FTSE 100 firm, a priest, a football manager, a newspaper editor, a union boss, movie magnate, or a headmaster; wherever you've got power over others and particularly disproportionate power over people's careers and futures and you want to get your rocks off this stuff seems to have a weary inevitability about it

• Like 2

I don't say this lightly as my feelings towards the man are well known and I don't really want to compare the two, but the sheer delusion shown by Johnson in this PMQs reminds me of Trump in a press briefing.

It's just "alternative facts", existing in a reality consisting of only him and his sycophants.

Edited by leicsmac

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Selling your integrity for a bit more power, shame on you Nadhim.

Im in Canada as many of you know but this "not answering the question" bollocks knows  no boundaries. This is exactly why people are so disconnected from politics. 

They dont serve us, they serve themselves and i am so tired of it. Doesnt matter who leads they all end up being the same, fookin arrogant, out of touch w@nkers!

Burn the lot! Lol ok a bit over board.  People one day are going to lose it on these tossers and shit will happen.

Would love to say that I cannot believe that he is not going anywhere, but I actually can. He is an utter disgrace. 

He should have resigned about six times already. This is the worst one though, his entire government is falling apart, so much so that he cannot fill jobs, and yet, he is still continuing. 

I genuinely wonder how damaging this could be to long-standing British democracy. Convention has of course existed for leaders to do the credible thing, even more so, democracy was created to protect people. Johnson has ignored both of these. 

It has really emphasised how easy it is to do so. I thought at the time that a populist leader having a large majority was concerning, but, I never believed that it would be simply dangerous.

If the economy continues to tank and we are succumbed to the same issues, e.g the rise of the living cost, (which we probably will be) then I could honestly see people rioting. 

Edited by Matt_Lcfc

51 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Eh? He usually just spouts a bunch of boring, and often untrue, stock lines whatever he's asked. You could count on one hand the number of PMQs he's actually won.

Which is why calling a snap election would be problematic. I’m not convinced one bit that Starmer would get a majority, it would probably be a hung parliament.

Yes, this would destroy the massive majority but also would leader to an indecisive and dependent government. A shakeup is needed on both sides and has been for a while now.

9 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Would love to say that I cannot believe that he is not going anywhere, but I actually can. He is an utter disgrace. 

He should have resigned about six times already. This is the worst one though, his entire government is falling apart, so much so that he cannot fill jobs, and yet, he is still continuing. 

I genuinely wonder how damaging this could be to long-standing British democracy. Convention has of course existed for leaders to do the credible thing, even more so, democracy was created to protect people. Johnson has ignored both of these. 

It has really emphasised how easy it is to do so. I thought at the time that a populist leader having a large majority was concerning, but, I never believed that it would be simply dangerous.

If the economy continues to tank and we are succumbed to the same issues, e.g the rise of the living cost, (which we probably will be) then I could honestly see people rioting. 

The past few years in many places has shown how true that all is, really.

And pardon for mentioning the man again, but it really was Trump who started the “The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me" behaviour that numerous populists since have imitated.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 2