Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

12 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

My mate down Morrisons just told me that the Gas price hike is nothing to do with the War in Ukraine & is actually down the Keir Starmer switching to a heated blanket this winter 

Ashcroft isn’t completely lying - 

the decisions to sell/buy currency is complex for traders is not Blk/white

labour is traditionally seen as being poor for currency strength 

hence when polls come out showing a labour govt more likely its has a slightly negative effect on sterling. But if the pound has fallen 7% since Friday, 0.25% of that is due to the labour govt element, 2% is down to dollar strength and about 5% is down to the incompetence of our govt 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

hence when polls come out showing a labour govt more likely its has a slightly negative effect on sterling. But if the pound has fallen 7% since Friday, 0.25% of that is due to the labour govt element, 2% is down to dollar strength and about 5% is down to the incompetence of our govt 

This is why we have to hope that the next (Labour) Government focuses on the economy, restores strength to sterling,  and begins to reverse this opinion (via green industry/technology hopefully) 

(Then I can go back to being the far-right disapporoving Tory boy caricature I am  :rolleyes: )

15 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Which is really weird considering how strong it was under Labour until the US financial crisis in 2007. 15 years later and it reached its lowest point ever.

gbp-usd-1971-present-06-feb-2019.png

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Well it's much easier for them now Bill Gates has microchipped everyone with his covid vaccines and 5G masts right?

So you deny that Von der Leyen made suggestive threats to the Italians before Meloni even took office. Or have made slurs against Hungary's right of centre government, and Poland, anyone on the right and having Nationalistic endeavours are a target of the EU. 

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

This is the thing, isn't it? Take any partisanship, thoughts on policy etc out of it and just examine the quality of government for a second. It's fvcking horrific. I'd be absolutely ashamed if Labour governed in the way the Tories have, especially the way they've run things post-2019. It's an insult to all of us, whichever way you lean.

Its true, despite having almost innate, what would be seen as right leanings for familial reasons, this period has seen very few positives from a leadership perspective

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Listen to yourself pal. What is your evidence that anyone on the right is a target of the EU? What does that even mean?

Threats/slurs, or reasonable or accurate observations and criticisms? Orban's government Hungary has done some horrible things, should they be exempt from any criticism of that because it might hurt your feelings?

You're just proving my point. Anything said that doesn't support your view is a conspiratorial agenda-driven attack on you, the victim in all of this. 

Apparently hanging LGBT folks out to dry in a legal sense is OK if it's done for "family values".

3 hours ago, Houdini Logic said:

I don't think it is the change mid parliament that's the problem - I think it's more the fact that the outgoing PM was a crook and their replacement is absolutely clueless and a PR nightmare

I wouldn’t even say we’ve got the best of a bad lot. It really is that bad, she appealed to 80000 Thatcherite Tory Boys and Girls and we’re all left to face the consequences. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Which is really weird considering how strong it was under Labour until the US financial crisis in 2007. 15 years later and it reached its lowest point ever.

gbp-usd-1971-present-06-feb-2019.png

would be good to check it’s trade weighted index strength through that period rather than just usd - the yanks has a weak dollar policy through that 10 years to increase exports.

1 hour ago, Fazzer 7 said:

So you deny that Von der Leyen made suggestive threats to the Italians before Meloni even took office. Or have made slurs against Hungary's right of centre government, and Poland, anyone on the right and having Nationalistic endeavours are a target of the EU. 

2F337353-34CA-4825-A866-642785AC5B46.thumb.jpeg.a3ba7472b7976b88bad5b422022de996.jpeg

Ah yes, a man who has literally mocked the idea of an open and free liberal democracy, very very ‘right of centre’. 

Im interested where you get your understanding of Orban’s policy from? 

• Like 4

The b of e announce a guilt and bond purchase program to support debt and the markets hate it - knocking 1.5% more off the pound

i think the only thing they can do to restore their credibility is to raise rates by 1% now. Everything else is just rearranging the deckchairs. that should have happened Monday morning first thing. It could be too late now. 

and it shows that they will do what it takes to counter inflation as opposed to the govt who are clueless. 

there is nothing that govt can do to restore confidence in themselves - at some point some big funds will take on the pound even more because they know that it has to be supported big time eventually. parity should be avoidable if rates go up quickly - it’s just such a mess and all self inflicted - rates going up quickly just drives a deeper and deeper recession 

Help!!!

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

"Sky News understands he will ask financiers not to bet against the pound, which has fallen to record lows against the dollar in recent days."

Kwarteng: "Can you not bet against Sterling, please?"

Bankers: "No."

Kwarteng: "Oh, OK then."

doing the right thing, ahead of being a money grabbing bucket of puss... is just natural for bankers isnt it?

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The b of e announce a guilt and bond purchase program to support debt and the markets hate it - knocking 1.5% more off the pound

i think the only thing they can do to restore their credibility is to raise rates by 1% now. Everything else is just rearranging the deckchairs. that should have happened Monday morning first thing. It could be too late now. 

and it shows that they will do what it takes to counter inflation as opposed to the govt who are clueless. 

there is nothing that govt can do to restore confidence in themselves - at some point some big funds will take on the pound even more because they know that it has to be supported big time eventually. parity should be avoidable if rates go up quickly - it’s just such a mess and all self inflicted - rates going up quickly just drives a deeper and deeper recession 

Help!!!

Can you explain this bit to me like I'm 5

They were discussing today on that Poliitics show that Labour would borrow the same amount as the Tory's have to fill the fuel cost shortage, and then added that the reintroduction of the 45% rate would only raise £8bn, and offset this against the approximate £80bn-£160bn, its not massive, thought it would be more  (But optics dictates it was a stupid move thats for sure)

However, the £8bn lost due to 45% moving to 40% came from a seemingly non-Labour person, I wondered if anyone has the real figures on how much the abolition of the 45% rate would lose the economy?

Nevermind The Guardian had the info! 

The Treasury acknowledged after the budget that about 660,000 of the highest earners will benefit from the scrapping of the 45p rate, getting back on average £10,000 a year.

In fact all the tax changes lose the economy £41bn

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/23/kwasi-kwarteng-announces-sweeping-tax-cuts-in-mini-budget

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

This is the thing, isn't it? Take any partisanship, thoughts on policy etc out of it and just examine the quality of government for a second. It's fvcking horrific. I'd be absolutely ashamed if Labour governed in the way the Tories have, especially the way they've run things post-2019. It's an insult to all of us, whichever way you lean.

The thing is, they didn't even have to do much to ensure that they stayed in power for the best part of another decade or so. In 2019 Boris Johnson obtained an enormous majority and a coalition of voters that the conservative party had never had before. Had he run number 10 with some level of discipline, things would not have spiralled quite like this. 

She won't last until Christmas.

There's no way they can replace the PM and the Chancellor without there being a new mandate, surely?

To do it once is pushing the boundaries of democracy, to do it twice is riding roughshod over it.