Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

LCFC 1-1 Everton (A) Post Match Thread

I think you're supposed to be happy with a point away from home. Well, in the old days anyway.

But how can you be happy with throwing points away? Time and again. That was another game where we had the chances to kill it of well before extra time loomed.

And on that, I wish we'd stop this 'game management' thing of slowing the game down, i.e. time wasting - call it what it is. Because, by cripes, we do it big time. Kasper was doing it as early as the 1st half. It just winds up the opposition fans, motivates the opposition players (it's arrogant) and creates that final 5 minute (plus inevitable minutes of extra time) cauldron that we simply cannot handle. We're creating a rod for our own backs doing it, and it must be a directive for m BR. I really wish we'd stop it.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, frakenfox said:

I think you're supposed to be happy with a point away from home. Well, in the old days anyway.

But how can you be happy with throwing points away? Time and again. That was another game where we had the chances to kill it of well before extra time loomed.

And on that, I wish we'd stop this 'game management' thing of slowing the game down, i.e. time wasting - call it what it is. Because, by cripes, we do it big time. Kasper was doing it as early as the 1st half. It just winds up the opposition fans, motivates the opposition players (it's arrogant) and creates that final 5 minute (plus inevitable minutes of extra time) cauldron that we simply cannot handle. We're creating a rod for our own backs doing it, and it must be a directive for m BR. I really wish we'd stop it.

I get the need for maturity and being able to control a game, but if we've scored early and dominated a match, I'd love to see us shift UP a gear for 20 minutes and put the opposition to the sword.

The current form is to try to sit on a lead, and we inevitably invite pressure. This boosts the confidence of the oppo and they gain momentum.

When there's only one goal in it we set ourselves up to be on the receiving end of heroics.

I HATE the cauldron!

Edited by Bourbon Fox

The mentality of this team is astonishing.

Just as we started to turn a corner we’ve decided to throw in the towel in injury time yet again.

I can’t understand why we continue to play Tielemans. He’s checked out, and frankly has been utter shite. If he’s off in the summer we should be starting to play without him IMO, he’s just a passenger at the moment.

That’s arguably our strongest defence and we still bottled it. Subs were a bit weird but fully putting blame with the players for that result. Can’t wait for the rebuild so we can get rid of some of these bottlers.

6 hours ago, East Langton Fox said:

Just got home after endless road closures and diversions. The players looked p###ed off as they left the field, not as much as we were on the terraces. Should have been out of sight by the time they scored. I had a bad feeling the longer the game went on, we can’t defend a one goal less no matter how poor the opposition are and Everton were really poor. We sang all game. We deserve better.

Crowd sounded good on the stream - at one point the KDH song was drowning everything out for a good couple of minutes

1 hour ago, ronnup said:

The mentality nust have some roots in the panicky desire to make very late defensive changes 

I didn't see the game, but Rodgers appears to feel the need to make changes...when there's no apparent necessity. It's almost as if he's got an alarm and reminder in his head that says, "time to make changes" rather than really focusing on the game and asking himself and his advisors what changes are essential.

As well, he's repeating the same fruitless game of continually selecting Tielemans as he did formerly with Perez - as if he sees some subtle dynamic in their game that we mere mortals cannot grasp.

I wonder how many goals Tielemans as caused by his casual carelessness to goals he's created. Perilous close I'd imagine.

The changes he made at halftime recently were necessary and proved decisive. But how many times has he removed players who were making the team tick? Taking Lookman off when he was making a right nuisance of himself. Is it ego?

1 hour ago, ronnup said:

The mentality nust have some roots in the panicky desire to make very late defensive changes 

The increase to 5 subs next season is only going to make it worse, I’m certain they’d have been even more collapses this season if we hadn’t already made the 3 subs.

Still absolutely furious about this. We came flying out the blocks, got ourselves in a great position off the back of a blistering 20mins, and then just meandered through the game. Why? how?

It's compounded by the same thing happening at the weekend. We were about 3-mins of solid, mistake free football across 2 games of football from picking up 4 points which is pathetic. 4 points would have been a good return. Yet here we are again, sat wondering what the actual fvck happened for us to be left with 1 point and looking out of sorts again a week out from the Roma game. Oh Leicester.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

I've started to switch over for the last 5 minutes of the matches, because I know what's coming.

I completely lost my stream and listened to radio Leicester just in time for their equaliser. I still haven’t seen their goal.

I’m usually spitting feathers but I fully expected us to concede and a strangely numb reaction after they scored. I’ve had enough of the premier league season. Just forfeit the rest of the games.

Have to say the ref was almost as soft as our lot last night, gave them every decision because the home fans were screaming.

Edited by jmono84

Popped on here last night and couldn't stomach the venom. I 'get' being disappointed, angry, etc when we don't win, or draw when we should have won, but some perspective and balance please? [And no, I'm not going to mention League One]. It's not necessary, or helpful in the end, to blame someone for every setback.

I watched the game this morning and we were good throughout, at times very good, without being at our best or most clinical. The bile aimed at Tielemans on FT, is, to use a FT favourite, embarrassing. What is he, the new Wellens? He was in my humble opinion one of our better players, at least in the first half. He tired - surprise - but it made sense watching the game why our final change was what it was, rather than Choudhury or Amartey for Youri.

Timmy lost concentration as Pickford hoofed the ball behind him, and wasn't in position to challenge Alli. S**t happens in football, all the time. Good players make mistakes. It's not a goal we'd be talking about much had it not happened in stoppage time.

We really should have finished Everton off but talk about our not trying to score a second is simply way off the mark.    

More minutes in the legs of last night's back four, Maddison & KDH both very good, Youri & Mendy both decent. The worry is Barnes, who looks miles off it, such that his decision-making is now consistently awful. He (Mendy too obviously) has the most to worry about ahead of next Thursday. 

Edited by Steve Earle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, frakenfox said:

Believe that arrogance and Kasper go hand in hand as far as opposition fans are concerned.

1 minute ago, Steve Earle said:

Popped on here last night and couldn't stomach the venom. I 'get' being disappointed, angry, etc when we don't win, or draw when we should have won, but some perspective and balance please? [And no, I'm not going to mention League One]. It's not necessary, or helpful in the end, to blame someone for every setback.

I watched the game this morning and we were good throughout, at times very good, without being at our best or most clinical. The bile aimed at Tielemans on FT, is, to use a FT favourite, embarrassing. What is he, the new Wellens? He was in my humble opinion one of our better players, at least in the first half. He tired - surprise - but it made sense watching the game why our final change was what it was, rather than Choudhury or Amartey for Youri.

Timmy lost concentration as Pickford hoofed the ball behind him, and wasn't in position to challenge Alli. S**t happens in football, all the time. Good players make mistakes. It's not a goal we'd be talking about much had it not happened in stoppage time.

We really should have finished Everton off but talk about our not trying to score a second is simply way off the mark.    

More minutes in the legs of last night's back four, Maddison & KDH both very good, Youri & Mendy both decent. The worry is Barnes, who looks miles off it, such that his decision-making is now consistently awful. He (Mendy obviously) has the most to worry about ahead of next Thursday. 

Where do you watch re-runs mate?

2 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Its coz ridgers is in denial about his own blind spots. 

If he recognised them... he would bring someone in to do what he cannot.

Wondering what he has kolo there for then. Because he was a pretty useful defender himself.

• Like 1

We have one of the weakest defenses in the league this season (I acknowledge the injuries) and in 31 games this year have lost 29 points from a winning situation ......  yet we are coached by one of the best defenders to have played the game and who was a member of a team that won the PL in 2003/4 undefeated for the whole season..... :dunno:  just say'n 

2 hours ago, peach0000 said:

I’m not sure it is as bad as people are making out. Yes it’s annoying not to beat a side that poor on paper but after the first 20 minutes Everton defended pretty well, created the better chances and deserved something from the game. A point away from home is never a bad thing in the premier league especially at this point of the season where the opposition are fighting for something while we have little motivation. 

It’s annoying to concede late but it’s not the end of the world if you look at it more subjectively.

I think the problem is actually that people are being highly subjective :) But I know what you intended.

At this stage of the season Tielemans is a waste of a player. He has effectively been checked out all season. His level of performance just shows that he has mentally moved on. We should too. Leave him on the bench and play other, more deserving members of the squad. We cannot afford passengers. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

More minutes in the legs of last night's back four, Maddison & KDH both very good, Youri & Mendy both decent. The worry is Barnes, who looks miles off it, such that his decision-making is now consistently awful. He (Mendy obviously) has the most to worry about ahead of next Thursday. 

Thanks for this - and largely agree. With Youri, i genuinely think if he's not scoring worldies, people think he's shit. He's nowhere near his best, and his mistakes have stood out, but he doesn't deserve what he gets on here. I don't buy into the crap that he doesn't care either. 

I don't think we are far off being really good. The foundations are there, but we are missing a few gears right now that maybe an inform Barnes would provide.  I think key is recruitment in midfield for next year.

As you said - shit happens. Lots in the mid tier of the league are taking points off each other. If you look around, Brighton lost 5 in a row i believe and Arsenal lost 3 in a row. Can you imagine what this place would be like if we hit form like that?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Attywolf said:

Can someone in the back room staff just tell Rodgers in the last 25 mins if a defender isn't injured that he has none he can put on. We would do so much better 

I don’t even know where to begin. Just disappointed this keeps happening. It is all mental. When you are 1-0 up and all you can think of is “game management” or you put an extra defender on, you panic; you give the ball away; you get pressed; you are on the back foot. I don’t know how many times we have to go through this. Last game, when Rodgers once again criticised the player (Amartey in that case) for having a go, it filtrates the mentality of the whole team - that you should not give it a go. When we play our normal game, we are good and at the same time it often does not look like we will concede (apart from set pieces). When we go “game management”, all of a sudden we can’t keep the ball and we get pressed ironically. Why can’t we just play our own game (and be blinded by the score)?

By the way, to all those fans who always say that in the last few minutes we should kick or run to the corner, you are in the same bucket as Rodgers. When we do that, we immediately lose the ball. What for???

Edited by Tom12345

10 hours ago, John rayner said:

The point is that you go and support the team ,maybe you should start supporting another team if thsts how you feel 

...I  can never understand this response!!!

Read the comment, it is borne out of frustration, two days later he will be buying his ticket to the next game, it is a rant, as football supporters and of this club, we have all been there.

I understand completely why rodgers brought Dan on for papy last night. They were going route 1 and would undoubtedly have crosses and long throws into our box last ten mins …..

dan is a much better option for that than papy. However, this does give away one of our main protagonists for holding onto possession in tight spaces ….. we should still have been capable of seeing time out but we panicked yet again. It isn’t fair to criticise rodgers for Timmy losing his bearings or Evans steaming out to the corner flag when he should be holding the edge of the box waiting for Timmy to recover the space. 

many have questioned that we didn’t push on for the second ….. we made openings but apart from madders’ deflected shot, we failed to make chances from those openings. To me, that is what cost us ……  having good possession high up the pitch with the opposition defence exposed and we don’t even create a chance ! 

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

That was our 13th Premier League match of 2022 and our opponents have scored the final goal of the game in 11 of them (in most cases decisive ones). The only exceptions were the clean sheet wins against Burnley and Leeds.

We have also squandered 14 points from winning positions in those 13 games this year - three apiece against Spurs and Newcastle, two each v Brighton, West Ham, Man United and now Everton. We also lost at Wolves after coming from behind to draw.

In contrast, the only Premier League point we have claimed this calendar year when not scoring first was v West Ham (and even that was countered by dropping two points from a winning position). We have not come from behind to claim a Premier League point by scoring the final goal since the 2-2 draw at Southampton away on 1 December and our only come-from-behind win in the Prem all season was at home to Man United in October.

This is a horrendously worrying trend. Yes, we came from behind to beat PSV, but that was clearly a glorious exception to what has become a depressing norm in 2022.

The big question is: what is Rodgers going to do about it?

It's all about mentality.

Not only the lack of mental strength to see ourselves through high pressure moments, but also the lack of drive to put a team to the sword when we are on top.

It's almost as if it takes so much effort for the players to play with the desired intensity that once we go ahead it just kills it. It's then up to Rodgers to try and inject some semblance of attacking threat back into the team, but instead he so often resorts to negative tactical changes and subs.

I was talking to an Everton fan earlier and he couldn't believe we didn't try and force a second and put the game to bed. They were there for the taking.

I think ultimately the players are scared to give the ball away because of Rodger's obsession with control. That's all fine when our passing is quick and accurate, but when it's not no one is brave enough to be direct or take a more risky pass in case it results in losing possession. Rodgers needs to let players like Barnes in particular express himself rather than drilling any directness out of him like he is doing currently.

• Like 1