Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

1 hour ago, deejdeej said:

Ran my first 15 km last Tuesday evening. Tired a bit towards the end but managed it in just under 90 mins.

However, after an hour or so I felt awful, and was even sick. It felt like a truly horrific hangover for about 2 hours. I'd eaten well during the day and stayed well hydrated before the run. It was pretty hot.

Any advice to stop feeling like this again? Maybe now I'm doing longer distances I should take a drink but I find holding a bottle disrupts running technique etc.

Get some electrolyte tablets, and ridiculous though it sounds, if you've not got any, eat some crisps. When you really sweat it's the electrolyte/salt loss that does you, and it makes you feel very, very bad. 

I discovered this by accident once when I went for a run years ago when it was stupid hot, felt absolutely horrendous the next morning - like, truly awful, rough as - and just taking on more fluid wasn't making me feel any better at all. Had some crisps (because I thought I should eat something, not because I thought they'd help) - felt better almost immediately

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

I thought this re holding a bottle but when I ran my longest run a few weeks ago I had one for about 75% of it and it was fine.By the end i was that ****ed physically and mentally that it was almost reassuring… probably says a fair bit about how it ended lol 

I'll give it a go, also thought about getting one of those vests that you can keep a bottle in and drink through a straw lol

51 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Get some electrolyte tablets, and ridiculous though it sounds, if you've not got any, eat some crisps. When you really sweat it's the electrolyte/salt loss that does you, and it makes you feel very, very bad. 

I discovered this by accident once when I went for a run years ago when it was stupid hot, felt absolutely horrendous the next morning - like, truly awful, rough as - and just taking on more fluid wasn't making me feel any better at all. Had some crisps (because I thought I should eat something, not because I thought they'd help) - felt better almost immediately

Appreciate that, as I say it took an hour or so after the run to really feel bad so it was unexpected but god I don't want to feel like that again! I'll have a couple of packs of ready salted ready for when I get back tomorrow.

11 hours ago, deejdeej said:

Ran my first 15 km last Tuesday evening. Tired a bit towards the end but managed it in just under 90 mins.

However, after an hour or so I felt awful, and was even sick. It felt like a truly horrific hangover for about 2 hours. I'd eaten well during the day and stayed well hydrated before the run. It was pretty hot.

Any advice to stop feeling like this again? Maybe now I'm doing longer distances I should take a drink but I find holding a bottle disrupts running technique etc.

9 hours ago, Langston said:

Bit of a weird question @deejdeej but how does your sweat feel to the touch? I noticed a weirdly sort of granular / sedimentary feel once when rubbing my hand over my face after a run, apparently all to do with sodium intake / loss so @Bellend Sebastian crisp suggestion might be the ticket!

Posts above are pretty spot on, if you sweat easily and you lose a lot of sodium you’ll be soaked and as it dries you’ll have a grainy sediment on your face and shirt. If you have a high sweat rate it could be that you need to hydrate more than you think. If you lose sodium then you need to increase the salt in your diet around runs- you can find a list of healthy and appropriate foods on google pretty easily if your not sure. The other thing could be the amount of energy that you have used up, it’s worth smashing some high carb food sources as soon as you are done- stuff like yazoo, flapjack, bread and jam will get into your system quickly.

18 hours ago, Langston said:

Bit of a weird question @deejdeej but how does your sweat feel to the touch? I noticed a weirdly sort of granular / sedimentary feel once when rubbing my hand over my face after a run, apparently all to do with sodium intake / loss so @Bellend Sebastian crisp suggestion might be the ticket!

I'll pay more attention next time to sweat. Never really thought of it like that. I'm fairly average height and weight, quite fit without being big headed but have been running 3 times a week for 4 years and doing weight 3 times a week.. yet I sweat like a pig even just sitting out in the sun, not sure the heat agrees with me. (No I'm not ginger) lol

9 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Posts above are pretty spot on, if you sweat easily and you lose a lot of sodium you’ll be soaked and as it dries you’ll have a grainy sediment on your face and shirt. If you have a high sweat rate it could be that you need to hydrate more than you think. If you lose sodium then you need to increase the salt in your diet around runs- you can find a list of healthy and appropriate foods on google pretty easily if your not sure. The other thing could be the amount of energy that you have used up, it’s worth smashing some high carb food sources as soon as you are done- stuff like yazoo, flapjack, bread and jam will get into your system quickly.

Appreciate it, all advice taken on board. About to try it again so will see how it goes!

• Like 1

On 12/05/2024 at 20:58, deejdeej said:

Appreciate that, as I say it took an hour or so after the run to really feel bad so it was unexpected but god I don't want to feel like that again! I'll have a couple of packs of ready salted ready for when I get back tomorrow.

It sounds like you suffer from similar symptoms to me which often manifest in a migraine. 

I am a big 'sweater'. Running 5K on the average day makes it look like I have running it in the Amazon. Similar salt deposits on my skin. Now I combat that with fluids whilst running - I am trying to introduce a bit of food on the longer stuff. Straight after - I have a bottle of water with salt in it or a lucozade sport - I try to get sugar and salt in the system. Cheap ice lollies work well too. I have got more resistant now as my performance and endurance has increased substantially. 

On 12/05/2024 at 18:43, deejdeej said:

I used to use the HIGH5 Zero tablets when I was training seriously. Highly recommended.

Cost just under 15p per drink if you grab deals like this;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HIGH5-ZERO-Tropical-8x20-tabs/dp/B01BKN49DO/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My YouTube nowadays is about 80% running recommendations and everyone I’ve watched talks about sodium loss being what makes you feel like shit so all of the above sounds accurate.

21 hours ago, VLC86 said:

My YouTube nowadays is about 80% running recommendations and everyone I’ve watched talks about sodium loss being what makes you feel like shit so all of the above sounds accurate.

I bet none of them claimed to have solved the mystery by eating crisps like I did, why am I not a social media star?

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I bet none of them claimed to have solved the mystery by eating crisps like I did, why am I not a social media star?

Made me contemplate this approach after I play football on Tuesdays. Always wake up feeling like shit even if I drink a couple of pints of water after it.

On 15/05/2024 at 09:50, VLC86 said:

Made me contemplate this approach after I play football on Tuesdays. Always wake up feeling like shit even if I drink a couple of pints of water after it.

Adam Lallana used to get horrific cramps after the match. When Adam went to Liverpool, they worked out it was due to sodium loss and added more salt or electrodes or something like that in his post match drink.   

Apologies if my suggestion has caused early heart disease for you.

• Like 1

We went Bedworth today for my 8th Park Run location. 

Good course, nice number. A couple of hills on each of the three laps which added to it. 23rd today with 24:14.

Think my next foray out will be Birmingham in a couple of weeks 

• Like 1

Ran the Draycote Water half marathon in 1:40hrs. Very happy with this considering I did a mock run a few weeks ago at sub 1:50hrs. Last 5 miles I just ran as fast as I could. Almost vomited over the finish line.

Funnily enough, Ian Stringer was the race tannoy lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ran a 10k this morning in 48 mins. Pretty pleased with that considering it’s quiet a hilly route.

Did legs at the gym yesterday and I can barely walk now.

On 18/05/2024 at 13:39, CosbehFox said:

We went Bedworth today for my 8th Park Run location. 

Good course, nice number. A couple of hills on each of the three laps which added to it. 23rd today with 24:14.

Think my next foray out will be Birmingham in a couple of weeks 

Aston Hall is good fun but not one to race!

If you want a decent fast’ish course, Edgbaston Reservoir is good fun as is Oaklands. 

12 hours ago, waddadamadda said:

Aston Hall is good fun but not one to race!

If you want a decent fast’ish course, Edgbaston Reservoir is good fun as is Oaklands. 

I run the ressie regular with work. Defo a PB track bar a few tricky turns 

I could do with something chilled given I’m run 8 miles the day after. 

Ended up doing Brixworth Country Park Run on Saturday - that’s a nice run. Beautiful lake to run alongside and then a hill finish. Managed sub 24. 

10k today in and out of Glenfield - after seven pints, those hills were a killer. 

I managed a personal best of 22.36 yesterday as a part of a 4 man relay team. First guy came in quick and I was second out and threw everything at it. Never been knackered in all my life and I will never better this time. Celebrated by being told we have to go food shopping after by the mrs.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stretch1965 said:

I managed a personal best of 22.36 yesterday as a part of a 4 man relay team. First guy came in quick and I was second out and threw everything at it. Never been knackered in all my life and I will never better this time. Celebrated by being told we have to go food shopping after by the mrs.

Livingston Relays?

I managed my fastest run in a long time at Mallory Park yesterday - 25:37 - so a decent benchmark and I’m building up to PB mission.

Started first in the relay team and had to endure the most ridiculous rain.  It felt good and we finished 9th as a Vet Women’s team. It wa amazing to see our men’s senior team come second with our fastest runner coming home in a little over 15 minutes :o