Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

Put on my trail shoes and went up to Bradgate this evening.

Loved it, there's basically nobody there after about 8pm.

Need to get off the road a bit more, I was crap but had forgotten how much fun running on surfaces other than tarmac can be

• Like 2

On 07/07/2024 at 20:25, CosbehFox said:

Ran 5k in a new PB at park run on Saturday - 22:44 

Well my watch says that - but the park run measured at 5.12k, so ended up 23:17 on their stats 

I've discovered so many park runs aren't 5k. My local is about 4.7k. Quite annoying. 

• Thanks 1

Back on it after 6 weeks off. I was hoovering an the Xbox landed on my foot corner first. I am now self banned from hoovering and on a return from injury programme, basically starting back at 1 min run, 1 min walk. Better than nothing though. My goal is to get my 5k below 30 mins before December. Should be possible as long as I avoid housework.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/07/2024 at 22:40, Bellend Sebastian said:

Need to get off the road a bit more, I was crap but had forgotten how much fun running on surfaces other than tarmac can be

Planning to do this on Saturday but will obviously be much busier. Issue is my running shoes are like slicks so I probably need to buy some trial shoes.

For those that have done it, is the route for the Leicester half really that bad?

Probably going to sign up for it but just checked out the route and paying £40 to run up Melton Road doesn’t seem very inspiring lol 

4 minutes ago, VLC86 said:

For those that have done it, is the route for the Leicester half really that bad?

Probably going to sign up for it but just checked out the route and paying £40 to run up Melton Road doesn’t seem very inspiring lol 

If it still ends the last mile on New Walk(going up), I’m never doing it again!

2 minutes ago, westernpark said:

If it still ends the last mile on New Walk(going up), I’m never doing it again!

I’ve heard that bit is rough.

Edited by VLC86

I wouldn’t say it’s particularly picturesque compared to some city based half marathons. Not many landmarks to past for example. 

Makes you wonder why they’ve never led the start section around the sports grounds for example or tried to include something around DMU…then head towards Melton Road from there. 

In terms of a challenge, I’d say it’s 6.5/10. The hill at the end is killer but I’ve done easier and I’ve done worse 

Edited by CosbehFox

On 16/07/2024 at 22:40, Bellend Sebastian said:

Did Croft quarry on Sunday. Was fun in a perverse way 

3 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

I wouldn’t say it’s particularly picturesque compared to some city based half marathons. Not many landmarks to past for example. 

Makes you wonder why they’ve never led the start section around the sports grounds for example or tried to include something around DMU…then head towards Melton Road from there. 

In terms of a challenge, I’d say it’s 6.5/10. The hill at the end is killer but I’ve done easier and I’ve done worse 

Thanks. Yeah, very shocked by the route. Expected it to be along the canal for parts of it which I’ve ran before.

4 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Did Croft quarry on Sunday. Was fun in a perverse way 

Nice round there, this is the other option if I can’t be arsed to head to Braggy Park.

Id been pretty lazy recently and our run club has been putting on speed sessions ahead of some local 10ks and half marathons. Decided to drag myself along and it was one of the best runs I've ever done. 1k efforts aiming to be 20-30s per km faster than your 10k pace. A 35 minute time cap to complete as many reps as you can and 60-90s rest between each effort with the aim of keeping reps the same time with no more than a 5s drop off. Managed 6 reps with 1-5 being 4:25-4:27, rep 6 came in at 4:48 after I took only 40s rest to try and get one more rep inlol

Mondays session is 20 minutes out, 18 minutes back- don't get caught by the person behind you on the way back. Thinking of going out in 5min per km pace and pushing 4:30 per km on the way back but reckon I may blow up.

• Like 1

Plan today was originally to drive to Croft Hill and maybe do 5k up/around it but somehow convinced myself to run there… then convinced myself to run back.

Half marathon distance with Croft Hill on mile 8 was a laugh. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VLC86 said:

Plan today was originally to drive to Croft Hill and maybe do 5k up/around it but somehow convinced myself to run there… then convinced myself to run back.

Half marathon distance with Croft Hill on mile 8 was a laugh. 

I have no idea where Croft Hill is but well done mate, 5k to 21k is some extra Saturday motivation!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Thank you I will have to visit sometime :D

Nice place, overlooks a quarry and you can see for miles. Nice areas around it to walk etc.

• Like 1

Went out today in the blistering heat, after a 2 week all inclusive holiday. 29.23. Was fairly pleased, with that. Never been the fastest runner. Pb was probably around 22-23 minutes in my prime 15 years ago. Always prefer a sport to running, but gets harder to arrange a game of squash/badminton as you get older 😂. So been running a bit more. Hopefully get that down to 28 minutes once lose this holiday weight. 

• Like 1