Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

On 04/09/2024 at 07:45, Bellend Sebastian said:

I expect this is exactly the right thing to do, but after two decades of running I still have a mental block for expending any energy before running.

I can easily run a 10K but when I see folk run to Parkrun (5K) I just cannot imagine doing that

Best way of getting a long run in! Run to parkrun - parkrun - run home 

I'm no 'runner' but I do run. My usual morning run is a 3.3km route (due to time constraints with work and me not wanting to get up at 4am). I've just had 4 days away doing a City Break, eating and drinking myself half to death (though I did do a LOT of walking). Somehow shaved a minute off my time this morning. What's that all about?! 

37 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

I'm no 'runner' but I do run. My usual morning run is a 3.3km route (due to time constraints with work and me not wanting to get up at 4am). I've just had 4 days away doing a City Break, eating and drinking myself half to death (though I did do a LOT of walking). Somehow shaved a minute off my time this morning. What's that all about?! 

I’m guessing on what you’ve eaten but would suspect you’re filled with carbs and aided by rested muscles ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Running the Worcester half this Sunday.

Not particularly looking forward to it as I've done one 6 mile run in 'training'. 

You’ll be fine, I ran a marathon after my furthest training run was 4 miles and I didn’t die…. Although I very much felt like I was going to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VLC86 said:

You’ll be fine, I ran a marathon after my furthest training run was 4 miles and I didn’t die…. Although I very much felt like I was going to.

I've done half marathon's before so know what I'm in for, it's just this is the least I've trained. It's my own fault for making it more difficult lol

10 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I've done half marathon's before so know what I'm in for, it's just this is the least I've trained. It's my own fault for making it more difficult lol

Depends on your general level of fitness and how quickly you want to do it I guess. It’s the adding speed into long distances that ****s me up.

Some many variables so don't worry too much @Stuntman_Mike. We are out of the warmer months - I ran 9 miles on holiday this week in prep for Leicester Half and it was fair to say after about 5 miles I wanted to roll up to give up. But that's the heat essentially pushing my heart rate so high. Week before I ran same distance before going on hols and it went a breeze but this was like between 7 and 8.30pm when I should be tired. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Just ran in the wind and rain. Yeah I’ll take that every time 

Rain yes, wind is horrendous though. I’m going out after work and toyed with the idea of doing it in the gym but it defeats the object of training for the half in October.

Got a ballot place for the Great North Run next year which should be good.

Will be entering for the Eryri marathon which is a month after that. I can’t remember who it was that recommended that to me but I think you have a lot to answer for. It looks absolutely brutal 😂.

• Like 1

On 15/09/2024 at 10:00, stretch1965 said:

We are running a couple of 10ks day and night at Equinox  belvior Castle next week. Camping for the weekend and just read that Friday night they do a 1k fun run and you must have a pint in hand.

I'm in  :beer:

I'm wanting to start looking at races like this, Belvoir castle is right on my parents door step so will keep my eyes out for next year. 2025 I want to make a big year for my running, with, fingers crossed, no shin splints.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

I'm wanting to start looking at races like this, Belvoir castle is right on my parents door step so will keep my eyes out for next year. 2025 I want to make a big year for my running, with, fingers crossed, no shin splints.

I've got a couple of 10Ks to do remainder of this year and then next year I'm looking to really hit the road and go all out. Knees, Heels and Ankles say no.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

I've got a couple of 10Ks to do remainder of this year and then next year I'm looking to really hit the road and go all out. Knees, Heels and Ankles say no.

I know the feeling! I think I have a 10k PB in me before the end of the year if I can just keep the joints from blowing up.

• Thanks 1

Ran my first sub-30 minutes 5k this morning in a very, very long time. 28:58. I am very, very pleased. 

Glad to be well and truly over my knee pain, 3 weeks of rest and then a few weeks running in knee sleeves but now I'm starting to get a little bit of pain in my right heel and the base of my achilles and I really don't want any more layoffs ahead of the Leicester 10k. 

Running always seems to be about managing constant niggles for me! 

• Like 4

Going to do the Harborough parkrun next Saturday.  Been a long time since i've done anything like this and been doing some gentle treadmill and outdoor running. Want to go under 30 minutes if i can. 

I've managed to lose 7kg in the process of getting ready. Success! 

Like SecretPro its been about managing the niggles over the last few years. Knee gives me pain if i go too hard.

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 4