Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

44 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Going to do the Harborough parkrun next Saturday.  Been a long time since i've done anything like this and been doing some gentle treadmill and outdoor running. Want to go under 30 minutes if i can. 

I've managed to lose 7kg in the process of getting ready. Success! 

Like SecretPro its been about managing the niggles over the last few years. Knee gives me pain if i go too hard.

Well done on the weight loss buddy, that's fab 👏 

I've accepted its going to be a life of niggles for me. I'm just of that age now where my body doesn't want to do what I tell it without protesting lol

• Thanks 1

I was out for my usual 06:30am 5k run last week on Wednesday, having made steady progress with my running over a few months, trying to get back under 30 mins for my very hilly route.

I tripped over my own feet and had a nasty fall near the end and (having done the same thing before) I'm reasonably sure I've cracked a rib.

It hurts to sit still, sleep and breathe. Sneezing is an agony I try to avoid. Not good, but it is slowly getting better.

I'd not done much movement at all since last Wednesday, but this morning, in the September sunshine on my day off, I forced myself to walk (slowly and quite hesitantly) a mile to the shops and a mile back.

Arriving home, I felt a similar sense of achievement to that when I last did a half marathon.

The road back to running starts here.  Strong like ox.  Well, beef rib, anyway   :punk:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

Going to do the Harborough parkrun next Saturday.  Been a long time since i've done anything like this and been doing some gentle treadmill and outdoor running. Want to go under 30 minutes if i can. 

I've managed to lose 7kg in the process of getting ready. Success! 

Like SecretPro its been about managing the niggles over the last few years. Knee gives me pain if i go too hard.

Harborough’s park run is lovely, nice and flat too

• Like 2

My latest “being an idiot on a run” post.

Started the day with the intention of having a day off after 4 work outs in 5 days (football, leg day, football, chest day) but thought I’d do an “easy 10k” instead.

I don’t eat much lunch wise so I set off really slowly, get half way and you know the feeling when you have nothing left in the tank? Yeah that kicks in. Struggled to do 10k in 6 minutes slower than what I’ve been doing on a significantly flatter course 😂.

Every days a school day but that’s probably the last time I do an ‘easy run’ without preparing.

• Like 1

Yeah, foots gone. No rhyme or reason.

Ran a 5k pb Wednesday morning, Wednesday afternoon my heel has blown up. Ibuprofen takes the pain off but once that's worn off it's killing again. More ibuprofen, completely fine. Pretty clear I shouldn't be running on it for a while. 

Damn. 

Did the Ibstock (Sence Valley) park run for the first time today, which happened to be on their first birthday. All the volunteers were wearing party hats for the occasion lol 

It was a nice route and everyone was as friendly as you'd expect, just nowhere near the amount of runners as Braunstone which is the only one I've done before.

It came up in conversation about doing the 'A-Z' of park runs which sounds a good way of seeing parts of the country and mixing it up a bit, so I'll be adding that one to the bucket list! Starting with the Leicestershire ones..

It's such a good community and it sets you up nicely for the weekend in the right frame of mind :worship:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Did the Ibstock (Sence Valley) park run for the first time today, which happened to be on their first birthday. All the volunteers were wearing party hats for the occasion lol 

It was a nice route and everyone was as friendly as you'd expect, just nowhere near the amount of runners as Braunstone which is the only one I've done before.

It came up in conversation about doing the 'A-Z' of park runs which sounds a good way of seeing parts of the country and mixing it up a bit, so I'll be adding that one to the bucket list! Starting with the Leicestershire ones..

It's such a good community and it sets you up nicely for the weekend in the right frame of mind :worship:

There’s a whole app full of parkrun challenges! 
I’ve completed Leicestershire, nearly completed Nottinghamshire and Birmingham and only have a Q and a V to complete my alphabet.

I hated parkrun when I first started attending as I used to constantly chase a time. Covid happened and now I dick about, talk to people, stroke dogs and head off somewhere decent for breakfast. I’m enjoying parkrun so much more than I did before. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Download the 5k app 

Lots of challenges on there tracked. As well as lots of other info. 

15 min barrier got broke at Victoria Park yesterday 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Download the 5k app 

Lots of challenges on there tracked. As well as lots of other info. 

15 min barrier got broke at Victoria Park yesterday 

Wowsers. Surely touching pro-levels there? Was listing to Podcast last night with Georgia Bell and it was running a 16:14 parkrun earlier in the year which made her decide to go back to competing as a professional athlete. 

3 hours ago, westernpark said:

Did 8.5 miles yesterday morning and feeling glad I didn’t save my long run for this morning.Thoughts with all those who have braved the weather this morning!

Had to do a 10 miler, bottled it and did it in the gym instead.

My knee is going to be properly ****ed for the Leicester half. Pretty much any time I run further than 10k now I end up with extreme pain on the outer side. Sounds like an IT band issue which needs to be tested but that’s obviously going to have to wait.

This is why you listen to people who tell you not to just go out and run marathons and half’s without any training people lol.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, VLC86 said:

Had to do a 10 miler, bottled it and did it in the gym instead.

My knee is going to be properly ****ed for the Leicester half. Pretty much any time I run further than 10k now I end up with extreme pain on the outer side. Sounds like an IT band issue which needs to be tested but that’s obviously going to have to wait.

This is why you listen to people who tell you not to just go out and run marathons and half’s without any training people lol.

My 60+ year old Dad did in a ten miler this morning in the weather, no excuses! 🤣

Managed to just get a quick five miler in this afternoon, weather wasn’t too bad but I think dodging the puddles was even tougher. There was a fella hosing his car down during the rain, had to give a head shake of disapproval to him, as he clogged up Western Park’s drains further.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, westernpark said:

My 60+ year old Dad did in a ten miler this morning in the weather, no excuses! 🤣

Managed to just get a quick five miler in this afternoon, weather wasn’t too bad but I think dodging the puddles was even tougher. There was a fella hosing his car down during the rain, had to give a head shake of disapproval to him, as he clogged up Western Park’s drains further.

Your 60+ year old dad needs to get his head checked. I should have done it on the road tbh but when I pay for the gym it was rude not to stay dry instead.

5 hours ago, SecretPro said:

Wowsers. Surely touching pro-levels there? Was listing to Podcast last night with Georgia Bell and it was running a 16:14 parkrun earlier in the year which made her decide to go back to competing as a professional athlete. 

Still a little off - here's the rankings from the UK https://www.runbritainrankings.com/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=5K&agegroup=ALL&sex=M&year=2024

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Thanks 1

Just had a great weekend at Belvior Castle Equinox 24. Did the day and night 10ks but one of our group did 15 laps of 10k over the 24 hours. Record this weekend was 21 laps. Camping facilities were decent and food stalls didn't rip you off either. Signing up for next year with a plan to do 6-8 laps

• Like 2

Been on a few small runs as of late, as soon as I hit around 2km I get knee pain in bottom right of the right knee.. I assume this is a common runners niggle? 

May I add, I didn’t warm up so maybe a rookie error. If this is due to not warming up, any reccomendations for simple warm up for dodgy knees? I am running on concrete roads.. have a 10km run round Silverstone in November so have to get used to the surface