Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

Anyone in the slump - just keep at it. 

I came out of Christmas, worried about the half I am doing in March but after some tough training in January, I am getting more confident. 

Last weekend was full of excess but I clocked a healthy time running 12k on Saturday morning and then better over 6k last night. The little bit of a break has probably helped to give my body a bit of rest before I start whacking it again. 

I'd also say combined with better eating and sleeping, whilst I'm heavier, I actually feel more 'on it'. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, deejdeej said:

Wish people would stop beating themselves up about their times. Just getting out there and running means you're kicking ass. Yes a bit of competitiveness with yourself can help motivate but just keep at it and the better times will come naturally.

A slow run is a million times better than not running at all :thumbup:

Dead right…. It was more satisfying going quickly,  but I’ll get there!

And you’re spot on, stepping over the threshold and moving is the important bit!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Asha said:

Did an 18:12 last Saturday, five seconds off a PB that has eluded me for a while. 

Feel like once I break into the 17s, I’ll be there every week and it’s more of a psychological barrier than a physical one. 

Alright Mo Farah :rolleyes:

• Haha 4

I am a slow plodder, my fastest 5k being 24 minutes, but now I’d take about 29 minutes. However, over the last couple of years I have been averaging about 110 miles a month. I’ve never enjoyed running more than I do at the moment as a 9minute 40 second mile man. A good podcast does me for about 5miles. It has made such a difference to my productivity and thus life!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Anyone have a preferred or recommended energy gel? 

Could do with a bit of boost around 10 miles I think

I've never had a problem with the Science in Sport ones; I consider them a lovely little treat, and like you say, they give you a bit of a boost when needed.

That said, I recommended them to a bloke I know who's a very serious mountain biker and he claimed that they gave him the runs 

• Like 1

I should caveat that I live in the peak and ANY distance further than a mile involves a hill, so always take my times with pinch of salt.

That said, I'm improving since covid and had my first 10 mile week in months last week. However I spent all of yesterday aching and my ankle injury is a bugger. 

Completely unprepared for covid to make these things flare up after 18 months. 

• Like 1

Did 5k this week for probably the first time in 2 years. I found it much easier than I thought - I've been running small distances intermittently and walking a fair bit which must have played into it.

Doing a 10k tough mudder in the summer, any tips from people who've done similar?

16 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Did 5k this week for probably the first time in 2 years. I found it much easier than I thought - I've been running small distances intermittently and walking a fair bit which must have played into it.

Doing a 10k tough mudder in the summer, any tips from people who've done similar?

Don't do it?

As a huge lump of a man with a poor sense of balance and timing, and high centre of gravity, I found it a bleeding nightmare, but I was glad I did it and everyone else I was with thought it was great.

I don't think overall fitness is a massive deal as you're never running that far in one go so if you can run AT ALL, you'll be fine - the members of our group that weren't used to running moaned about that far more than the horrible obstacles.

There's a lot of climbing, clambering, hanging, crawling, hauling yourself up sort of stuff so doing exercises to help your upper body strength between now and then would probably be a good idea unless you're already sorted on that front.  I skipped a couple of obstacles as I'd not long recovered from a nasty shoulder injury and was terrified of aggravating it as it was about the most painful thing I'd ever experienced.

Also, check that you can jump/fall into water with your mouth shut as you really don't want to be ingesting that filth. Turns out I can't

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Don't do it?

As a huge lump of a man with a poor sense of balance and timing, and high centre of gravity, I found it a bleeding nightmare, but I was glad I did it and everyone else I was with thought it was great.

I don't think overall fitness is a massive deal as you're never running that far in one go so if you can run AT ALL, you'll be fine - the members of our group that weren't used to running moaned about that far more than the horrible obstacles.

There's a lot of climbing, clambering, hanging, crawling, hauling yourself up sort of stuff so doing exercises to help your upper body strength between now and then would probably be a good idea unless you're already sorted on that front.  I skipped a couple of obstacles as I'd not long recovered from a nasty shoulder injury and was terrified of aggravating it as it was about the most painful thing I'd ever experienced.

Also, check that you can jump/fall into water with your mouth shut as you really don't want to be ingesting that filth. Turns out I can't

Doing it for our charity of the year at work so I can’t back out!

That’s helpful and sincere advice which I hadn’t seen elsewhere so thanks. Upper body training is probably what I need.

Edited by Stadt

Just got back from my first run and 5k since early December. 
Had some illness and other issues and generally lost motivation. 
Forced myself out today and feel much better for it. 32:10 mins which is better than I was expecting. 
Had signed up for the Leicestershire half in November. I had given up on the idea and I know it would be stupid and a killer to run it next Sunday but a small part of me is tempted. Might have to lock the trainers away for the week to stop myself 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stadt said:

Doing it for our charity of the year at euro so I can’t back out!

That’s helpful and sincere advice which I hadn’t seen elsewhere so thanks. Upper body training is probably what I need.

I'd file it under 'things you should have a go at once'. Some bits were fun, like wading chest deep along a river bed with a petite colleague on shoulders as it was too deep for them, and there was also a bit where you have to crawl underneath a big plastic sheet that's holding up a load of water if that makes sense. For reasons unknown there were several spontaneous outbreaks of singing under there, and when a load of strangers were all joining in it just made it even more surreal than it was already.

Getting electrocuted is isn't as bad as you'd expect either. That felt like being in an episode of Jackass

• Like 1

Taking a fun deep dive into the running forums to see if there's consensus on whether doing a PB on a treadmill counts.

I've just knocked 25 seconds off mine which on one level seems a bit unlikely but it's a really good treadmill and seems to report distances and pace pretty accurately.

I was a sweaty wreck by the end, which I'm generally not so hopefully is indicative of additional effort rather than an impending heart attack

Edited by Bellend Sebastian

On 17/02/2023 at 07:33, CosbehFox said:

Played football Wednesday after a really good 5k on Tuesday, felt the fittest I have been in a good two years. 

Woke up - fcuking back's gone again - 16 days till the half marathon 

Somehow after a week off, I’ve done 31k in the last four days including an almighty grind up Croft Hill yesterday. 

Fingers crossed it all goes to plan next Sunday 

• Like 2