Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

As BA says electrolytes are the key. Lot of the Gels now have them in. SIS also do a powder you mix in water too. Sounds daft but even salt in your water can help. Other stuff is common sense you forgot when your heart is going at 170 odd and you are sweating buckets - grab any shade you can. Unaware of your route but moments near water are normally a saviour as there’s a breeze and trees etc. 

They’ve never really worked in assisting performance for me but they most certainly worked for recovery post run. 

Also on the cold/ice bath hype post run and that’s another good recovery trick. 

15 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

As BA says electrolytes are the key. Lot of the Gels now have them in. SIS also do a powder you mix in water too. Sounds daft but even salt in your water can help. Other stuff is common sense you forgot when your heart is going at 170 odd and you are sweating buckets - grab any shade you can. Unaware of your route but moments near water are normally a saviour as there’s a breeze and trees etc. 

They’ve never really worked in assisting performance for me but they most certainly worked for recovery post run. 

Also on the cold/ice bath hype post run and that’s another good recovery trick. 

17 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm going on about electrolytes because I got really dehydrated years ago after running on a REALLY hot day, and that was an exciting new way of feeling unwell that I wouldn't wish to repeat.  Drinking loads of fluid didn't make it better, and it was only when I happened to eat some salty food that I stopped feeling really rough, and yes it was crisps 

Cheers to both. I am joining someone who is doing it for charity, they’ve made the route themselves. I will bear in mind the electrolytes, as per that story and regarding them as more important than water. And yes the gels are SIS. The route involves a few areas of Leicester.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

1:55:09 - two minutes and 40 shaved off my PB. 

The heat on the second half was horrific but thankfully the training helped me pull through. 

4 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Derby Half Marathon today in 01hr 54mins 16seconds officially 

Happy with that in todays heat 

Well done both! I came in 1:58 something. 

Found the heat made it very tough too. Not a bad route though, better than that Leicester end. It didn't feel like there was that many runners, which I was surprised at.

• Like 3

I’ve signed myself up for next years half marathon local to me (may 24) as well as 10k which is taking place in October. I wanted to start training ASAP but got worried I’d lose motivation being nearly a year out, so the 10k is a nice make weight in between to give me something to focus on. I’m not a runner and am starting pretty much from scratch, I have ran the odd 5k at the gym and do so semi regularly. I’m aiming to do about 15k a week to start off with and then go from there when I feel like I can increase that a bit. Any tips, tricks and recommendations very much welcome. Also bought one of those Lumi Ice baths for the garden too, will report back on that in case anyone else is interested for recovery etc. 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Manini said:

I’ve signed myself up for next years half marathon local to me (may 24) as well as 10k which is taking place in October. I wanted to start training ASAP but got worried I’d lose motivation being nearly a year out, so the 10k is a nice make weight in between to give me something to focus on. I’m not a runner and am starting pretty much from scratch, I have ran the odd 5k at the gym and do so semi regularly. I’m aiming to do about 15k a week to start off with and then go from there when I feel like I can increase that a bit. Any tips, tricks and recommendations very much welcome. Also bought one of those Lumi Ice baths for the garden too, will report back on that in case anyone else is interested for recovery etc. 

It might sound really trivial but good running socks and trainers for long distance runs makes such a difference! I think it's good just getting a bit of a training plan in mind and slowly building it up until the runs become more and more the norm and you're thinking less about them, to the point where they just happen. (In the zone basically) Best of luck with it :appl:

4 hours ago, Manini said:

When I was a younger (but probably no fitter) man than I am now I trained for a half marathon by running 3 times a week - a short one (about 3.5 miles) a medium one (6.5 to 8 miles) and a long (9.5 to 11). That was good as it didn't take my life over (which is why I've never been arsed to train for a marathon).

Never ran the actual half marathon distance until the race itself.

That was enough to come in just inside two hours, which was the target.

If you're not used to running long distances, build up the distance gradually. Also, master the art of running really slowly, and you'll surprise yourself how far you can actually go. If you've not got one already and the budget will stretch, get a device that can measure your pace in real time - absolute game changer if you've never used one before

Edited by Bellend Sebastian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

It might sound really trivial but good running socks and trainers for long distance runs makes such a difference! I think it's good just getting a bit of a training plan in mind and slowly building it up until the runs become more and more the norm and you're thinking less about them, to the point where they just happen. (In the zone basically) Best of luck with it :appl:

That’s really helpful, thank you! 

12 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

If you've not got one already and the budget will stretch, get a device that can measure your pace in real time - absolute game changer if you've never used one before

Like an Apple Watch? Or something more specific to running like a Garmin watch? 

56 minutes ago, Manini said:

That’s really helpful, thank you! 

Like an Apple Watch? Or something more specific to running like a Garmin watch? 

I've never had an Apple Watch or a proper Smart watch.

I've got a Garmin that's now 3 models out of date, but it's been really good so far. Even the cheapest proper Garmin running watch, the Forerunner 55, lets you download training programmes based on what you're trying to achieve, and I found these really helpful for establishing a routine and monitoring progress, as well as bringing variety to your training to keep it interesting with drills and stuff.

They have some smart watch functionality but not like an Apple watch or whatever, but depending on which one you go for are a lot cheaper. There's not much in the way of deals at the moment - you can still get the one one I've got (the 245) but it's more than 50 quid more expensive at the minute than it was 6 months ago

I run to the same scheduled as BS mentioned - three runs a week - 2 x 5k to 8k + longer run at the weekend. I start at 10k as that longer run for a couple of weeks. Then go 12 - 14. Then 16 x2. Then either 18 to 20 or just a 19. Then taper down with a 16k two weeks out and a 10k a week out. 

Once you've got your running base - introduce intervals/progressive pacing to those smaller runs. That's helped me get quicker. 

Some training plans have four runs a week but I think if you are active on another sport or activity, that's not that helpful. 

Agreed on the Garmin watch - it's worked really for me over the last month. More so being aware of my heart rate and when I am in threshold. 

• Like 1

What are folk eyeing up next in terms of goals and race wise? 

I am considering entering the Rutland 10k at end of the month. I'd like to get my 10k times down. My watch reckons I have something to give when it comes to 5k and 10k. 

I also fancy tackling a long shuffle to 25k as well. 

My next half will be September - Lincoln is the 3rd or Northampton on 17th. I go holiday on 18th, so Nottingham isn't an option (24th). I like the idea of having the week in the sun to relax after 17th but do wonder if an early morning flight on 18th is going to help the legs and rest. Then I may do Leicester in a relaxed fashion - possibly even helping someone with their pace. 

I expect my weight training is going to be tougher over the next month, so it's going to be one of those periods where there's a lot of 'load'. 

11 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I've never had an Apple Watch or a proper Smart watch.

I've got a Garmin that's now 3 models out of date, but it's been really good so far. Even the cheapest proper Garmin running watch, the Forerunner 55, lets you download training programmes based on what you're trying to achieve, and I found these really helpful for establishing a routine and monitoring progress, as well as bringing variety to your training to keep it interesting with drills and stuff.

They have some smart watch functionality but not like an Apple watch or whatever, but depending on which one you go for are a lot cheaper. There's not much in the way of deals at the moment - you can still get the one one I've got (the 245) but it's more than 50 quid more expensive at the minute than it was 6 months ago

Spot on. Thanks. They look pretty reasonable priced too to be fair. Will look in to those. 

57 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

What are folk eyeing up next in terms of goals and race wise? 

I am considering entering the Rutland 10k at end of the month. I'd like to get my 10k times down. My watch reckons I have something to give when it comes to 5k and 10k. 

I also fancy tackling a long shuffle to 25k as well. 

My next half will be September - Lincoln is the 3rd or Northampton on 17th. I go holiday on 18th, so Nottingham isn't an option (24th). I like the idea of having the week in the sun to relax after 17th but do wonder if an early morning flight on 18th is going to help the legs and rest. Then I may do Leicester in a relaxed fashion - possibly even helping someone with their pace. 

I expect my weight training is going to be tougher over the next month, so it's going to be one of those periods where there's a lot of 'load'. 

I've got Brighton booked for next year but would like something else between now and then as its such a long time away. Most of the local half marathons fall on weekedns I can't really do although I might do Leicester and try to improve on my time as I picke dup a calf injury 4 miles from the end so ende dup limping round to the finish.

Other than that I'm trying to get in to good habits and improve form, really need to start incorporating strength training in to my routine though.

Had a calf tear after running the Leicester half in October and just getting back into it after loads of Physio.

Being 52 now any sort of injury just take literally months to heal.

My physio said the tear i had would have healed in a month or so 30 years ago!!!

Just did my 3rd run on Sunday which was about 30 minutes and was proper aching.

Its AMAZING how much fitness you lose in a few months.

2 hours ago, Manini said:

Spot on. Thanks. They look pretty reasonable priced too to be fair. Will look in to those. 

This might be helpful:

https://www.tomsguide.com/face-off/garmin-forerunner-55-vs-garmin-forerunner-245-which-running-watch-is-the-best-value

Like all things like this, bear in mind the relative costs - the 55 is still the current model (a 65 is coming later this year) and the 245 has been replaced TWICE. I actually paid less for the 245 than what they're charging for the 55 now, so that was a proper bargain and I definitely made the right choice at that point.

Also be aware that there are two versions of the 245: one that can hold music and connect to headphones via Bluetooth, another (the one I've got) that is cheaper and cannot

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skippy71 said:

I do Park run most Saturdays and at the start of the year I clocked 37:28

Since then I have lost nearly 2 and a half stone and last Saturday I managed a respectable 30:38

Pretty pleased with that :D

Bloody hell. I've only shed a stone and a half in 18 months. Well done! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skippy71 said:

I do Park run most Saturdays and at the start of the year I clocked 37:28

Since then I have lost nearly 2 and a half stone and last Saturday I managed a respectable 30:38

Pretty pleased with that :D

Brilliant mate well done :thumbup:

• Thanks 1