Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

9 hours ago, waddadamadda said:

Livingston Relays?

I managed my fastest run in a long time at Mallory Park yesterday - 25:37 - so a decent benchmark and I’m building up to PB mission.

Started first in the relay team and had to endure the most ridiculous rain.  It felt good and we finished 9th as a Vet Women’s team. It wa amazing to see our men’s senior team come second with our fastest runner coming home in a little over 15 minutes :o

Yes it was Livingstone relays, really felt for the runners out first out as the weather was biblical. 15 minutes is crazy isn't it but well done to you and your senior team.

I will never beat my PB now at my age and felt physically sick when I finished lol

Mileage this year has just tipped 600 miles, I have to run everyday( well6/7 a week), to help me function. I’ve noticed the soles of my feet are often incredibly sore, any idea as to what this could be? Normally hampers the first mile of each run. My shoes are fine, I think, on my second pair of the year already. But if I’ve got an issue, maybe I’ll have to get some special shoes.

Didn’t run til I was about 35. Managed to get to about 22 mins at one point which I was very proud of as someone who was never sporty. Then my knees hurt and I had a baby then another so only run very very occasionally in a few years now. Now 42 and started tentatively running again more consistently. Managed a 25 minutes which I’m super proud of. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Didn’t run til I was about 35. Managed to get to about 22 mins at one point which I was very proud of as someone who was never sporty. Then my knees hurt and I had a baby then another so only run very very occasionally in a few years now. Now 42 and started tentatively running again more consistently. Managed a 25 minutes which I’m super proud of. 

Nice one mate, I started taking Glucosamine supplements for the joints in my knees two years ago and has made a massive difference. Took a while to kick in but worked for me.

• Like 1

Fun aside to my speed training and hill runs - I did a free session boot camp at a local gym. It was basically a 25 minute HIIT circuit, 5 minute skip and then 15 minutes on punchbags.

2 years ago it would have absolutely annihilated me but I still had some left in the tank. Even cycled there and back! 

It doesn't matter if you're running a 20 minute 5k or if you're jogging your way around - whatever it is, keep at it! 

• Like 4

The bi-regular fall today cos I’m a clusmy plonker. Quite simply too knackered - need to give myself a bit of a break I think and get a decent sleeping pattern. 

Hand feels sore but not quite the same as when I bust my wrist 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Fun aside to my speed training and hill runs - I did a free session boot camp at a local gym. It was basically a 25 minute HIIT circuit, 5 minute skip and then 15 minutes on punchbags.

2 years ago it would have absolutely annihilated me but I still had some left in the tank. Even cycled there and back! 

It doesn't matter if you're running a 20 minute 5k or if you're jogging your way around - whatever it is, keep at it! 

Need to try to get myself fitter, half tempted to drive to Bradgate Park or Croft Hill and give myself a bit of a beasting at the weekend lol .

First run back at my club for nearly 3 months following shin splints, was all ready for a steady 8k around the town, 11k later through fields and the trails I was happy to see how well I held uplol 

• Like 2

Ran from mine to KP earlier today, just under 8 miles along the canal. Took me just under an hour. Feeling in really good shape at the minute after changing my gym routine up to include more leg days.

This is a long way off, and not entirely linked, but has anyone run an ultra marathon and if so how was the jump in distance from a normal marathon pain wise?

• Like 2

On 30/05/2024 at 15:59, CosbehFox said:

The bi-regular fall today cos I’m a clusmy plonker. Quite simply too knackered - need to give myself a bit of a break I think and get a decent sleeping pattern. 

Hand feels sore but not quite the same as when I bust my wrist 

And I thought it was just me that falls over whilst running 3 or 4 times a year (cracked a rib last year).

9 hours ago, VLC86 said:

Ran from mine to KP earlier today, just under 8 miles along the canal. Took me just under an hour. Feeling in really good shape at the minute after changing my gym routine up to include more leg days.

This is a long way off, and not entirely linked, but has anyone run an ultra marathon and if so how was the jump in distance from a normal marathon pain wise?

Good going that’s some pace! The strength work makes a world of difference.

• Like 1

Wroclaw Park Run on Saturday - a back in and out, flat as can be, gravel. If I wasn't sweating alcohol, that would defo be a PB track. Quite an experience doing a park run abroad. 

About to sign up to Leicester Half this week. 

I just can't be bothered when the weather's like this man.

Got my 5k to sub 18m living in Leeds pre-Christmas and managed a ~1hr35 half back in Leics in April when I got bored of doing quicker, shorter jaunts and wanted something longer - but this weather knocks the motivation right out of me and it's subsequently done my fitness. Last time I went for a run was the start of June and I couldn't be bothered so this is a no go. Give me numb hands, wind and rain in my chops and sodden feet any day.

Was quite pleased with myself yesterday. For some reason I decided to go for a run at midday yesterday in the heat. But managed a 5k in 27 mins. My cold water bottle was warm within 2k lol 

Went on a couple of runs while I was in Germany, the last of which was in 25 degree heat. Fair to say that was a challenge after the booziest 11 days in my life.

• Like 1

Round Sheffield Run ticked off yesterday, it’s 19km of running broken up over 11 stages, 24k total with the recovery sections in between which I happily walked! Great race that takes you through some beautiful scenery, mixed in with some horrible elevation and technical descents. Managed the whole thing in 2 hours 45 with an official running time of 1:47:45. Managed to cramp up on the penultimate stage about a 1/4 of the way up a climb, toes were clenched and wouldn’t release until I got to just over halfway up, so I was doing some funny hop, skip, jig to keep moving. Really, really enjoyable race.

• Like 1

On 01/07/2024 at 07:03, LcFc_Smiv said:

Round Sheffield Run ticked off yesterday, it’s 19km of running broken up over 11 stages, 24k total with the recovery sections in between which I happily walked! Great race that takes you through some beautiful scenery, mixed in with some horrible elevation and technical descents. Managed the whole thing in 2 hours 45 with an official running time of 1:47:45. Managed to cramp up on the penultimate stage about a 1/4 of the way up a climb, toes were clenched and wouldn’t release until I got to just over halfway up, so I was doing some funny hop, skip, jig to keep moving. Really, really enjoyable race.

Technical descents?  Is that an euphemism for stairs?  Lol

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Blur said:

Technical descents?  Is that a euphemism for stairs?  Lol

I don’t know it was something the Marshalls shouted at me before I went down them along with the words be careful  lol

My two fastest according to Strava are 30:02 and 30:01 and it drives me mad. I did couch to 5k last year being fat and old. 
I was getting quite good relatively speaking and then my ankle got mangled playing football. Finally able to run without being in pain so hopefully I break the 30 soon.