Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

2 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Note to self - don't do leg day shortly before parkrun day. 

That said, I did a PB of 26.15 but it isn't QUITE 5k and I absolutely hate them for it. My actual 5k PB is 26.30. 

Got a mate who tore his hamstring playing football after doing leg day so rather you than me.

Didnt run this weekend as I got absolutely blind drunk on Friday night and had the hang over from hell on Saturday. I did a killer work out in the gym in Sunday though, them Ski machines are vile.

Just had a proper wake up call of a run.

Played football Tuesday, leg day in the gym yesterday and thought I would run 10k today. Absolutely disgusting stuff, legs in bits after the first mile.

Have developed what appears to be Patellar Tendinitis in my left knee. Can walk and do everything fine apart from Run, when it ****ing kills. Was hoping to do the Leicester 10k in October...

Any tips for easing it, repairing it etc without having months lay-off.

Better long run this week. 10 miles in 78 minutes.

Has anyone got any experience of switching from an Apple Watch to a Garmin for running? I like the data you get from Apple but it looks like Garmin offer much more of that in the running space.

2 hours ago, VLC86 said:

Has anyone got any experience of switching from an Apple Watch to a Garmin for running? I like the data you get from Apple but it looks like Garmin offer much more of that in the running space.

Runners I know swear by Garmin. Seems everyone has abandoned fitbit, at this point. 

37 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Runners I know swear by Garmin. Seems everyone has abandoned fitbit, at this point. 

They definitely give more data, although I’ve seen a people say that Apple have closed the gap so unsure on whether to switch.

2 hours ago, VLC86 said:

They definitely give more data, although I’ve seen a people say that Apple have closed the gap so unsure on whether to switch.

Just stick with Apple as you prob use that as your everyday. No point changing watches just for a run. 

On 17/08/2024 at 12:19, VLC86 said:

I swapped from Apple to Garmin and then to Polar.

I think it depends on what you’re doing running wise. My main reason for changing was for the battery life. The battery life on an Apple Watch wasn’t enough for 10/12 hour run recording whereas the Garmin battery life was. I now need a watch that will have enough battery for 24 hours and my Polar watch fits that criteria 

13 minutes ago, waddadamadda said:

I think it depends on what you’re doing running wise. My main reason for changing was for the battery life. The battery life on an Apple Watch wasn’t enough for 10/12 hour run recording whereas the Garmin battery life was. I now need a watch that will have enough battery for 24 hours and my Polar watch fits that criteria 

That’s part of it for sure, when I ran a marathon my watch died and there is a hope I can go longer distances in the future. Some of the Garmins I’ve seen have a much longer battery life than that.

3 hours ago, waddadamadda said:

Wait you run for 10 hours?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waddadamadda said:

Yip. Only twice so far - 56K and 50 miles. Next year will be my first 100K followed by my first 24 hour 

My body is broken and I’m struggling to do a 5k at the moment.

That is crazy! 

• Like 1

There's a race that's 8 hours and see how many 5k loops you can do in that time.

I figure keeping it steady 30 mins each for the first few hours, then allowing for fatigue it drops down to 36, I could probably do about 16.

Really, I don't need to do it now as I know how much I'd achieve and I trust my own judgement. 

8 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

There's a race that's 8 hours and see how many 5k loops you can do in that time.

I figure keeping it steady 30 mins each for the first few hours, then allowing for fatigue it drops down to 36, I could probably do about 16.

Really, I don't need to do it now as I know how much I'd achieve and I trust my own judgement. 

There’s the backyards which are unlimited - last man standing. 4 miles every hour. If you do it in 45 mins, that’s 15 mins rest until the klaxon goes again for the next mile. 

On 14/08/2024 at 10:48, SecretPro said:

Have developed what appears to be Patellar Tendinitis in my left knee. Can walk and do everything fine apart from Run, when it ****ing kills. Was hoping to do the Leicester 10k in October...

Any tips for easing it, repairing it etc without having months lay-off.

Everyone responds differently but the best thing you can do is some isometric strength work. If you use a gym then going on a leg press with a light weight and holding at the bottom for 3 sets of 5seconds and building up your time from there. As you build the time (I'd work up to 30s max) you can increase the load also. There's a bit of science to it and everyone responds differently and to isometric holds at different angles. Essentially getting the tendons stronger is the best way to help it get better and prevent it happening again. You will also want to manage your running load and pace, a sharp increase in either will make it angry, so best thing to do is build up real small at a slow pace with a distance you can manage with no pain. Aim to progress your distance in small increments. It's not a nice one to be carrying and can be massively frustrating.

• Thanks 1

After not being able to run (and sometimes climb the stairs) since the 11th thanks to all sorts of knee pain (mainly inner knee) I manage to get up and do 3.5k this morning at easy pace. God it felt good. Sure, I was full of NSAIDs and had knee sleeves on but still.... lol

Edited by SecretPro
  • Like 3

On 20/08/2024 at 22:49, fox_up_north said:

I do one that is 6 hours of 4 mile out and backs (2 out 2 back) on the Humber Bridge. To be honest, boredom sets in before fatigue. The best thing I have learned is that walk any uphill/incline and steady pace the flat and downhills. 

Give it a go as they’re good fun!

22 mins 28 seconds, my fastest for about 5 years, and probably my fastest ever training run. Pleased because I've put quite a bit of effort in the past few months and then some bits have knocked my confidence over the past week or 2. Today has given me that motivation again.

• Like 3