Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

2 hours ago, Chris_OGrady said:

I need to get back into running after eating and drinking far too much this summer. I was hoping to do the Cambridge half marathon in March but it's already sold out! Anyone recommend any good 10k/half marathons back end of this year?

Rutland water 10k in November. It's in the evening so its lit up. Really enjoyable run and it's flat!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chris_OGrady said:

I need to get back into running after eating and drinking far too much this summer. I was hoping to do the Cambridge half marathon in March but it's already sold out! Anyone recommend any good 10k/half marathons back end of this year?

Not sure where you live Chris but I run with the Desford striders and we run usually in 3 groups to cover all levels on mondays and Thursdays. It's not taken seriously and the social side is fantastic, Mondays always starts and finishes at a pub somewhere. You'd be welcome  to come along if you want to get back into running. The Leicester half and 10k is on Oct 13th which isnt to bad.

There are about 30 of us doing the benidorm half in November which will be a laugh.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Chris_OGrady said:

I got a bit "every day is an all inclusive" myself earlier this year man. Every now and then, just challenge yourself to do a half marathon / big distance on a route set on your own mate if you want to remove hassle. I've never done a fully fledged race but try to get at least one huge run in the books every month with x4 10kms in a week too.

I ruin all my progress by being an absolute piss can but my half time is sub 1hr 35m now. My 5k time at my Leeds peak was less than 19 minutes n all, phenomenal form for a man whose blood type is cask imo.

Always personally found that after a while out, a few runs in and the stiffness just wears off and it becomes routine rather than a chore!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I got a bit "every day is an all inclusive" myself earlier this year man. Every now and then, just challenge yourself to do a half marathon / big distance on a route set on your own mate if you want to remove hassle. I've never done a fully fledged race but try to get at least one huge run in the books every month with x4 10kms in a week too.

I ruin all my progress by being an absolute piss can but my half time is sub 1hr 35m now. My 5k time at my Leeds peak was less than 19 minutes n all, phenomenal form for a man whose blood type is cask imo.

Always personally found that after a while out, a few runs in and the stiffness just wears off and it becomes routine rather than a chore!

Exactly, it’s all about getting it back into your routine! I was pretty good from Jan to May and then it’s gone to shit this summer. Summer is always going to be hard with the weather. No excuses from September onwards!

• Like 1

Ran a decent distance last week and I’ve done a fast ish 10k today but towards the end and when I’ve finished my knee is really painful. It’s basically the outer right side of my right knee. Any ideas?

15 minutes ago, VLC86 said:

Ran a decent distance last week and I’ve done a fast ish 10k today but towards the end and when I’ve finished my knee is really painful. It’s basically the outer right side of my right knee. Any ideas?

Stretch the heck out of it and if that doesn't work, go and see a physio.  I know a very good one in Leicester if you need a recommendation

2 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Stretch the heck out of it and if that doesn't work, go and see a physio.  I know a very good one in Leicester if you need a recommendation

Send it over mate, cheers.

On 31/08/2024 at 15:26, Chris_OGrady said:

Exactly, it’s all about getting it back into your routine! I was pretty good from Jan to May and then it’s gone to shit this summer. Summer is always going to be hard with the weather. No excuses from September onwards!

Funny how everyone sees it differently, I always see there being no excuses April-Oct, after that theres usually lots of cold, dark wet excuseslol

• Haha 1

I seem to have properly got in to running again this year. Started the year extremely unwell and signed off work for 3 months where my fitness and health were at an all time low.

Started trying a few gentle 5k runs as running has always been my go to exercise even if I've never done it very consistently. Mid April I was averaging about 28/29 mins, my PB recently is 22 mins 16 seconds.

Training for the Leicester Half in October which is going well. Did my longest ever run after work yesterday from Canary Wharf to Kensal Green. Learnt a he'll of a lot, mainly thst I'll never take those horrid energy gels every again. Evil.

Pacing was solid 5km and 10km. Slowed a little up to 15km and then the final few km started to get to me. All in all averaged 5 mins 22 per km which I'm happy with. Target is to break 2 hours for the half marathon which I think is achievable, maybe even 1 hour 50 on the day.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I seem to have properly got in to running again this year. Started the year extremely unwell and signed off work for 3 months where my fitness and health were at an all time low.

Started trying a few gentle 5k runs as running has always been my go to exercise even if I've never done it very consistently. Mid April I was averaging about 28/29 mins, my PB recently is 22 mins 16 seconds.

Training for the Leicester Half in October which is going well. Did my longest ever run after work yesterday from Canary Wharf to Kensal Green. Learnt a he'll of a lot, mainly thst I'll never take those horrid energy gels every again. Evil.

Pacing was solid 5km and 10km. Slowed a little up to 15km and then the final few km started to get to me. All in all averaged 5 mins 22 per km which I'm happy with. Target is to break 2 hours for the half marathon which I think is achievable, maybe even 1 hour 50 on the day.

Good going for your recent 5k time mate. You should surely crack the 1h 50 if you properly pace yourself.

I struggle to get close to 23 mins for 5k at the min but ran a half in 1h 49 a few weeks ago so you can definitely do it.

Im running the Leicester half as well and will see if I can do it in sub 1h 45.

• Like 1

On 02/09/2024 at 06:20, LcFc_Smiv said:

Funny how everyone sees it differently, I always see there being no excuses April-Oct, after that theres usually lots of cold, dark wet excuseslol

I am the same. I refuse to pay gym prices but I hate autumn and winter with a passion. Forcing myself to have no excuse and went out in the piss down rain this morning. May as well start now or I will find it way too easy to find an excuse when it's pitch black and 4 degrees. 

• Like 1

On 02/09/2024 at 06:20, LcFc_Smiv said:

Complete opposite for me brother, I want to pick up Radio One on my nips while I'm at it. "The wetter the better" is the mantra I live and die by

My times always take a serious dip whenever the temp gets above about 17 degrees

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Complete opposite for me brother, I want to pick up Radio One on my nips while I'm at it. "The wetter the better" is the mantra I live and die by

My times always take a serious dip whenever the temp gets above about 17 degrees

You can't beat a run where your feel the sweat evaporating into salt on your face from the heat. 

I'll see how I go this Autumn and winter I've joined a running club to keep me consistent, the battle will be turning up.

9 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Any tips for the first mile of a 5k, as I’m normally about a minute 10 seconds slower than the other miles. Really struggle to get my legs going. 

Not sure if it works for all but the little drill i do before 5ks is a 100mtr fast walk, 100mtr run then 100mtr fast walk. That usually gets my legs ready 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, stretch1965 said:

Not sure if it works for all but the little drill i do before 5ks is a 100mtr fast walk, 100mtr run then 100mtr fast walk. That usually gets my legs ready 

I expect this is exactly the right thing to do, but after two decades of running I still have a mental block for expending any energy before running.

I can easily run a 10K but when I see folk run to Parkrun (5K) I just cannot imagine doing that

• Like 1

14 hours ago, westernpark said:

Any tips for the first mile of a 5k, as I’m normally about a minute 10 seconds slower than the other miles. Really struggle to get my legs going. 

Have you tried stretching? Before I play football and run I do a 7 min yoga session. That said, for me you are better not to blow everything you have in the first mile and leave some in the tank for the rest of the run.

• Thanks 1

On 04/09/2024 at 07:11, westernpark said:

I walk for a few minutes before running.

I’ve always been told that your first mile

should be your slowest to give your legs/lungs/head a chance to warm up. If it’s parkrun and I’m in the mood for time chasing, I’ll always do a good 10 minute warm up jog to get the blood flowing