Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

2 hours ago, JonnyBoy said:

Been on a few small runs as of late, as soon as I hit around 2km I get knee pain in bottom right of the right knee.. I assume this is a common runners niggle? 

May I add, I didn’t warm up so maybe a rookie error. If this is due to not warming up, any reccomendations for simple warm up for dodgy knees? I am running on concrete roads.. have a 10km run round Silverstone in November so have to get used to the surface 

Knee issues are the most common injuries in runners for sure.

Ive been really struggling with my right knee, this is on the outside and right in the joint. A few google searches and it sounds like an IT band issue. YouTube has been great for finding stretches which instantly relieve the pain and then how to strengthen it going forward.

The other most common one is Runners Knee. From experience I would say it’s likely to disappear after a short while if you want to run further but then you risk a worse injury I guess.

Edited by VLC86

11 hours ago, deejdeej said:

I've signed up for the Leicester half marathon. Furthest I've ever ran is 15k I'm just under 90 mins. I'm thinking a comfortable time of around 2 hours 15 but I hear the last mile is a killer :blink:

You are correct on the last mile. Your aim is more than achieveable on the basis of your 15k time. Running at an event can shave about 10 minutes off any expected time provided you don’t blow up and go off too fast 

Get the blow up done early doors, before the race.

My race routine is:

Walk

First lot of stretches

Short sprints to blow up a little

Walk

Second stretches

Last half marathon my heart rate was hovering around 158 all the way around and I was pacing about 8:45 per mile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

Get the blow up done early doors, before the race.

My race routine is:

Walk

First lot of stretches

Short sprints to blow up a little

Walk

Second stretches

Last half marathon my heart rate was hovering around 158 all the way around and I was pacing about 8:45 per mile.

Yep - get that heart rate spiked baby