Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stevejpos

GREATEST EVER....Transfer Disasters

On 27/04/2022 at 13:11, StevieLynex said:

Worst of all time:

Swap deal involving Jim Melrose and Tommy English

Also worth a mention:

Ahmed Musa

Graham Fenton

Harry Kane 

Mark Grew

Ron-Robert Zieler

Lammie Robertson

Alan Waddle

Gregor Stevens

I don’t accept that. 1.1 million and scored in a win at Anfield in 1998 (I think) I was listening on the radio and vowed to always defend him after that!

On 27/04/2022 at 12:30, SouthStandUpperTier said:

With Spider Kalac I'll always remember the Bolton League cup game. We played some beautiful stuff and totally dominated, but Bolton won 3-2 thanks to a Spider horror show.

"He's got his head in his hands, let's hope he doesn't drop it"

• Haha 2

It really depends on if you're talking worst player to be signed by the club, I'm excluding all the desperate bargain basement players of the noughties, Barry Hayles was awful but signed on a free out of desperation. That has to be Junior Lewis, he was deliberately targeted and signed by Taylor as the player we need and was so out of his depth.

Most costly transfer disaster: Adrien Silva, others cost more but all contributed something whilst at the club or were sold for a fee.

Most damaging transfer to the club: Dennis Wise the nasty little shit tried to put us out of business. 

Perez also needs to be considered in the costly disaster debate, although his assist at PSV means he has contributed something other than a hat trick against Southampton and goals against Sheffield United.

Soumare could well feature this time next year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Captain... said:

It really depends on if you're talking worst player to be signed by the club, I'm excluding all the desperate bargain basement players of the noughties, Barry Hayles was awful but signed on a free out of desperation. That has to be Junior Lewis, he was deliberately targeted and signed by Taylor as the player we need and was so out of his depth.

Most costly transfer disaster: Adrien Silva, others cost more but all contributed something whilst at the club or were sold for a fee.

Most damaging transfer to the club: Dennis Wise the nasty little shit tried to put us out of business. 

Perez also needs to be considered in the costly disaster debate, although his assist at PSV means he has contributed something other than a hat trick against Southampton and goals against Sheffield United.

Yeah, 96 appearances, 12 goals screams disaster :whistle:

4 hours ago, RichMC24 said:

Yeah, 96 appearances, 12 goals screams disaster :whistle:

That's an awful goals per record for a forward. Akinbiyi scored 13 in 67, Slimani 13 in 48. Yet you see their names in this thread. Perez is our 3rd biggest transfer, our record signing at the time, he's a forward and has scored 10 league goals in 68 appearances. 30% against Southampton in a 9-0. He's got more red cards than league goals this season. Expensive flop.

Edited by Captain...
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Until recently with Tielemans (although he's doing a lot to undo his legacy) we have almost always flopped on signings that come with big fees and expectations. Its always been players we've never expected to be great that have become club legends. Izzet, Kante, Mahrez, Vardy.

22 minutes ago, keithweller said:

Marko Futacs was pretty wank wasnt he.

According to wikipedia he was signed as Steve Howards replacement, that went well.

Just remember him scoring in the 6-0 win against Ipswich. Nothing else of note. Seems our criteria of signing players sometimes is if they've scored against us they're good enough :rolleyes:

32 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

Slimani is far from the worst signing I reckon.

His goals kept us just above the relegation zone before Shakey took over.

Understandable why people dont like him overall but without him we could have been jn a far worse situation. 

Definitely. The champions league alone he was worth signing. It wasn't his fault that he was surrounded with players who didn't have the right mentality to go again after the title win. 

Having said that, that game where he came back under Rodgers I couldn't believe how unfit he looked. It was like giving my dad 20 minutes.

13 hours ago, Incognito said:

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and suggest you're not a fan of Spider Kalac..

Sure he is a nice enough bloke and he did have success elsewhere but in terms of the title of the thread IMHO he was a transfer disaster here. He played 3 times for us. Once in the Championship. One in the league cup  (2-3 loss to Bolton) and the last minute of our play-off win against Crystal Palace (brought on in case of a penalty shoot out) then he was gone.

14 hours ago, Koke said:

Has anyone mentioned Ayoze Perez? If not, why not! 

20 hours ago, Captain... said:

That's an awful goals per record for a forward. Akinbiyi scored 13 in 67, Slimani 13 in 48. Yet you see their names in this thread. Perez is our 3rd biggest transfer, our record signing at the time, he's a forward and has scored 10 league goals in 68 appearances. 30% against Southampton in a 9-0. He's got more red cards than league goals this season. Expensive flop.

I mentioned him and got told 12 goals in 96 appearances was a good thing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 29/04/2022 at 01:43, Captain... said:

Taylor just loved Lewis I don't think he was targeted for any other reason other than an existing relationship.