Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stevejpos

GREATEST EVER....Transfer Disasters

57 minutes ago, stevejpos said:
  1. Adi Akinbiyi
  2. Dennis Wise
  3. Islam Slimani
  4. Molla Wague
  5. Junior Lewis
  6. Elvis Hammond
  7. Josh Low
  8. Hossein Kaebi
  9. Fousseni Diabate
  10. Ricardo 

Need to specify if this is worst players or worst transfers a lot of those were loans or frees so whilst terrible players they can't be classed as truly bad transfers. 

Adrian Silva, Islam slimani even matt Jones Darren eddie from later era were truly bad transfers as the cost a bomb (relative to the time) contributed nothing or next to nothing then left for free. 

Ade akinkiyi cost 5 million scored 10 premier league goals then went to Palace for 2.5 million whilst bad isn't on the same level as Silva and slimani. 

• Like 1

Always remember how they pre-fixed Ricardo with "Legendary Portugese Goalkeeper" every time they mentioned him in the programme. The game at home to Portsmouth, first 3 crosses he comes out punches them weakly and leaves chaos in the box, guy behind me shouts "C-a-t-c-h  t-h-e  ********** b-a-l-l" as if he was coaching a toddler. Next cross, same thing, loose ball falls to Nugent who slots it in and does his laughing policeman / cupping ears routine :facepalm:.......never had a goal been so inevitable. Just catch it man, you are allowed to :dunno:.

With Silva it was what it cost us, half a season, or more, the whole thing was a shambles, Drinky going so late in the window, the replacement not being registered in time (we'll never know if he would have been a different prospect coming straight in to the side with the momentum of his transfer) and were left to play for half a season with, all due respect, Andy King or Matty James starting games. All the preperation, all summer, all the tweaking and adjustment and you're spending August to December compromised with a promise that things will improve in January when Superman is unleashed on the Premier League from his enforced delayed introduction. By the time January came we'd had him built up as Juninho meets Platini and what we got was a tidy-ish water carrier who got knocked off the ball for fun due to his physique.

Just now, frakenfox said:

I suspect there's more to the Benko story than perhaps we'll ever know so I personally would not put him on any 'worst' list.

A £13m signing that we probably could have sold for £20m+ after his Celtic loan. Hardly played for us then released for free. Might not have been his fault but I'd still call it a disaster.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I felt sorry for Eadie with all his injuries. Reckon he was a decent player but we probably never saw the best of him

One of the European away games, possibly Red Star, a lot of our trusted players went a bit AWOL and struggled, Lennon had his mind on Celtic I think and others looked like fish out of water but he held his own at that level and had a decent game, had a bit of pace and kept the ball well and didn't look out of place. To think the previous season we briefly had Heskey, Collymore, Cottee and Eadie on the books, a few months later we played v Newcastle with Akinbyi and Benjamin up top :facepalm:

Ricardo was an hilarious one, Sven finally got us playing well but then just completely ruined it with these weird signings he'd pull off, man was an addict for another loan here and there. Made Chris weale look like banks

Just remembered as well he'd brought in Kirkland on loan like the month before lol

Edited by The Horse's Mouth

12 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Er, you mean Spider "won us promotion single handedly then left to go win the Champions League single handedly for Milan" Kalac? 

Spider "Club World Champion" Kalac? 

That's the one!!! ........ the one that would have saved all his 5 penalties (had Stevie Claridge not stolen his opportunity) to then ride off into the sunset, his footsteps to never be heard again on historic Filbert Street (or so the story would have gone)  

Edited by hackenbacker
cause
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, frakenfox said:

I suspect there's more to the Benko story than perhaps we'll ever know so I personally would not put him on any 'worst' list.

He absolutely should be on there, relative in terms of what we paid to what he gave the club he’s right up there alongside Silva imo. Even ahead of Slimani and Musa I reckon (he only cost £3m less than Musa).

Let’s not forget, he was well inside our top 10 biggest signings ever when we signed him and yet he played a total of around 80 minutes in the cup and 0 mins in the league and that was it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sampson said:

There's been much worse than Akinbiyi, even from that Taylor haul. He got 9 PL goals, 11 in all comps in his first season, that was actually not far off what the likes of Heskey, Claridge or Marshall ever got, despite having cult hero status here. it was his 2nd season that was atrocious. I remember a lot of the opinions from his first season being similar to those opinions on Daka now - that he'd done pretty well overall in his first season even if there were glaring flaws to his game he needed to work on.

There's definitely been much worse signings for us.

I was going to say Adrien Silva was the worst too, but then I thought about Filip Benkovic.

£15mil odd on a player who never played a single league game and made 2 appearances (1 off the bench) in the cup is absolutely absurd.

But it was the context of Akinbiyi that made it so bad. We'd sold Heskey a few months before and we finally had a bit of money to spend, it we go and break our transfer record on a guy who'd never really played in the prem and whilst he'd scored goals in the league below, it wasn't like he'd torn that level apart. 

10 goals in 43 for the record signing was poor. Had it been a £2m signing we'd have said that was ok but we needed somebody to replace Heskey's overall impact we he couldn't do.

With the fullness of time, I have a lot of sympathy for him as he was a victim of Peter Taylor's incompetence and had the impossible task of replacing a cult hero and England international. Going from a Heskey and Collymore partnership (which could have been truly special) to Akinbiyi and Benjamin says it all, and sending us into financial oblivion on the way.

His performance wasn't disastrous but for what he represented and what ended up happening to the club, there will probably never be a more disastrous transfer for this club.

But in isolation, Adrian Silva wins every time.

Spending £15 million on a CB signing that isn't good enough to play infront of the 4th choice CB or either a couple of CM's is probably up there.

Giving Choudary £3 million a season is criminal.

Silva was an awful experience for player and club.

Ayoze Perez cost the same as Fofana.

Akinbiyi and Matt Mills were pretty horrific.

Kaebi was a weird one.

Slimani wasn't a disaster. I think it was a case of not fitting our style but he scored some important goals, particularly champions league.

I'd put him in the Perez category of the transfer fee being inflated for the end product but still making an impact in the squad.

Diabate had a few moments but just wasn't up to the standard we needed

Benkovic, Kapustka and Silva were disasters for sure 

Edited by TK95
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

But it was the context of Akinbiyi that made it so bad. We'd sold Heskey a few months before and we finally had a bit of money to spend, it we go and break our transfer record on a guy who'd never really played in the prem and whilst he'd scored goals in the league below, it wasn't like he'd torn that level apart. 

10 goals in 43 for the record signing was poor. Had it been a £2m signing we'd have said that was ok but we needed somebody to replace Heskey's overall impact we he couldn't do.

With the fullness of time, I have a lot of sympathy for him as he was a victim of Peter Taylor's incompetence and had the impossible task of replacing a cult hero and England international. Going from a Heskey and Collymore partnership (which could have been truly special) to Akinbiyi and Benjamin says it all, and sending us into financial oblivion on the way.

His performance wasn't disastrous but for what he represented and what ended up happening to the club, there will probably never be a more disastrous transfer for this club.

But in isolation, Adrian Silva wins every time.

Akinbiyi was the biggest transfer of the Taylor era, but we didn't spunk our entire budget on him - I think we spent about £15mil that season overall, so he was only around 1/3rd of the season budget. We overpaid for Akinbiyi for sure, 1 non-penalty goal in 4 is hardly the end of the world though. Slimani was also our record signing and a much relatively bigger one too and had an even worse record than Akinbiyi, while also being the marquee signing of our Champions League income.

There were much worse signings from that Peter Taylor in that season alone though. Matt Jones cost £3mil under Taylor as well and was far worse value for money. Trevor Benjamin cost £1.6mil. Gary Rowett was an ok player, but we overpaid quite a lot for him at £3mil. Lee Marshall £600k, Richard Cresswell £750k etc.

I think it's harsh to put the entirety of Taylor's disastrous spending on the Akinbiyi signing, the signings around him were just as bad if not worse.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2