Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stevejpos

GREATEST EVER....Transfer Disasters

3 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Seriously, it’s a bit like us signing somebody from League Two now for about a £1m, putting them straight in our first team and then blaming them for the drop in form when they clearly shouldn’t ever have been put in that position in the first place. 

But I’m clearly not going to be on the same wavelength as you on this - so I think I’ll leave it there :wave:

Exactly and that would have disastrous consequences. In this case it was a catalyst for relegation and administration.

Obviously I blame to the manager at the time, but out of all of the bad signings he made this one undermined any credibility and respect he had in the dressing room.

Seriously, it’s a bit like us signing somebody from League Two now for about a £1m, putting them straight in our first team and then blaming them for the drop in form when they clearly shouldn’t ever have been put in that position in the first place. 

But I’m clearly not going to be on the same wavelength as you on this - so I think I’ll leave it there :wave:

Strange to think we signed Vardy for £1m whilst we were in the Championship though, which at the time was three league tiers below us - just like League Two would be to us now of course ref. your more modern day comparison - but he turned out ok! A total one off signing he was though and will probably remain as so....whereas the flops from the lower leagues in Taylor's era were "two a penny"!

Edited by Guy

20 minutes ago, Lcfcbl said:

I've heard from somebody that played for the club at the time that O'Neill and Robertson were absolutely vile to Graeme Fenton to the point of bullying. That maybe contributed to him being a flop.

That probably didn't help, something was definitely wrong re Fenton's time at Filbert Street. A couple of seasons before then he looked really good in that final strait of the 1995-96 season when he scored that run of goals for Blackburn that knackered up Newcastle's title challenge in that game at the time against them but then I think he then had a fairly abject following season for Blackburn after that before we signed him in the following close season. I think he scored for Blackburn at the end of that particular 1997 season when we won 2-4 at Ewood in our impressive first season back in the Prem. (League Cup win v M'Boro' and all!) - something which might have prompted MON to sign him.....to hazard a guess!!

44 minutes ago, Guy said:

Strange to think we signed Vardy for £1m whilst we were in the Championship though, which at the time was three league tiers below us - just like League Two would be to us now of course ref. your more modern day comparison - but he turned out ok! A total one off signing he was though and will probably remain as so....whereas the flops from the lower leagues in Taylor's era were "two a penny"!

Yeah, but the point I'm trying to make is that if Vardy hadn't turned out to be the GOAT, but instead had ended up in League 1 or League 2 he probably wouldn't have been thought of as a "worst ever signing". Just a rather expensive (considering he was a non-league player) gamble that didn't pay off. 

Junior Lewis was £150k. Totally unqualified and without the sufficient ability to play in the Premier League, but worst ever signing? Not for me - just somebody who would have been binned off by almost any other manager instead of one who had a strange obsession with him 

34 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

Yeah, but the point I'm trying to make is that if Vardy hadn't turned out to be the GOAT, but instead had ended up in League 1 or League 2 he probably wouldn't have been thought of as a "worst ever signing". Just a rather expensive (considering he was a non-league player) gamble that didn't pay off. 

Junior Lewis was £150k. Totally unqualified and without the sufficient ability to play in the Premier League, but worst ever signing? Not for me - just somebody who would have been binned off by almost any other manager instead of one who had a strange obsession with him 

Fair point re Vardy! I remember wherever Taylor went to manage elsewhere after his time with us, he always signed J.Lewis for that club so there must have been some sort of "love in" going on there, as others have since joked about in this thread! J.Lewis was a terrible signing but didn't have an alarmingly high price tag to go with it like Akinbiyi did at the time - so as you say he was by no means "the worst ever signing", just a totally inappropriate one for us at the time for the reasons you've mentioned! Wasn't he signed to be a long term replacement for Lennon?? What a remarkably short sighted idea if so! 

Edited by Guy
  • Like 1

Extending the contracts for Albrighton, Mendy and Choudhury...I dare predict we will regret handing Pereira a new contract too, as I think his legs have gone.

Rodgers selling Iheanacho, Soyuncu and possibly Ndidi in the Summer will be the next ones.

Edited by FoxyLeon

I think Taylor believed that he was some youth coaching genius.....think it was Simon Jordan who said he was the worst manager he'd ever worked with

11 minutes ago, Collibosher70 said:

Junior Lewis hands down

If I got into my time machine and went back in time and picked Junior Lewis and  Ade Akinbiyi up at the exact point that we signed each. I then brought them back to the present day and gave you an ultimatum:

In the next transfer window you have to sign one of them for the current Leicester City team. You can either have Junior Lewis for £1.5m or Akinbiyi for £55m. Which one do you buy? 

4 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

If I got into my time machine and went back in time and picked Junior Lewis and  Ade Akinbiyi up at the exact point that we signed each. I then brought them back to the present day and gave you an ultimatum:

In the next transfer window you have to sign one of them for the current Leicester City team. You can either have Junior Lewis for £1.5m or Akinbiyi for £55m. Which one do you buy? 

Easy...akinbadbuy....then I'd leave for another club 🤣