Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wardyfox86

Post Match - Roma 1-1

3 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Still to many loose passes in and around the final third.

....I do not believe we will ever eradicate the malaise, unless we bring in  new personnel!!!

This has been going on for years, we do create situations where we fall down and fail to select the right pass, or are tentative in our execution and not on the same wavelength. You would think there are routines that you can practise for playing in the last third, where an individual knows where he should be and you can make a pass almost without looking, as you know there will be someone in the space, in which you have released the ball to.

In rugby union, Leicester Tigers would be a yard away from gaining a try, with their players passing the ball and trying to sneak over the line. The outcome was minutes of going from side to side, and eventually someone in the Tigers team would mishandle the ball, and you turn over the ball to your opponents. You would think somewhat choreographed moves in that situation would be something that would help to get them over the line.

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

If we're honest, we still struggled to create real chances, which is an ongoing problem.  That said we were clearly the better side and at least we were making the attempt to attack rather than aimlessly recycling possession in our own half.  A good performance - very good in terms of intent - but a bit of a missed opportunity, as Roma will almost certainly be better at home next week.

I hope this will stop the ridiculous talk that Abraham isn't quality.  I've not seen many strikers do such stellar defensive work in their own box, and he created a great chance out of absolutely nothing.  He got no support all night but still had an impact on both ends.

Abraham's second half hold up play and intelligent back heel was top class. I was really impressed with his intelligence and work rate.

Tonight was my first chance to see him live rather than on the tv. Impressed. Not as impressed as I am with Evans and Fofana's handling of him though. Superb.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Incognito said:

Abraham's second half hold up play and intelligent back heel was top class. I was really impressed with his intelligence and work rate.

Tonight was my first chance to see him live rather than on the tv. Impressed. Not as impressed as I am with Evans and Fofana's handling of him though. Superb.

No question they did a good job (though Fofana was out of position for their goal).  But the fact that Roma had so little interest in going forward made their jobs on Tammy a lot easier.  I'm pretty sure he spent more time in his own box than ours.

5 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Maddison floating the ball to Iheanacho at the back post instead of pulling it back to Barnes, who was absolutely screaming for it.

Criminal.

He slipped on his way to passing it and the route to Barnes was cut off because he took too many touches. I don't think it was intentional that being said he really should have given Barnes a chance to make it 2 - 1.

13 minutes ago, Raj said:

Main thing is we are well in it.

Neither team will be scared of the other so could be a long night next Thursday.

Wish I was there, but will be there in spirit.

This is true. The team showed tenacity and were so strong at the start. I was certain Vardy was going to score in those opening minutes. The Roma goal had a big impact on atmosphere (or at least it did where we were thanks to the 100 or so Roma fans).

Why is Brendan so worried about putting two strikers on the pitch!? Is he that underwhelmed with our bench that he doesn’t like the options for subbing Nacho/Vards? If we’d had them both on from the off, we’d have won, I’m sure. 

Also, Perez has started to look like a real asset. I wouldn’t say no to seeing him start. He’s a fast little bugger and has showed some smart performances in the last couple of matches. I’m sure many would disagree with me.

Edited by phoneticerror

Just now, phoneticerror said:

This is true. The team showed tenacity and were so strong at the start. I was certain Vardy was going to score in those opening minutes. The Roma goal had a big impact on atmosphere (or at least it did where we were thanks to the 100 or so Roma fans).

Why is Brendan so worried about putting two strikers on the pitch!? Is he that underwhelmed with our bench that he doesn’t like the options for subbing Nacho/Vards? If we’d had them both on from the off, we’d have won, I’m sure. 

Also, Perez has started to look like a real asset. I wouldn’t say no to seeing him start. He’s a fast little bugger and has showed some smart performances in the last couple of matches. I’m sure many would disagree with me.

Historically he’s only ever played with one striker, wherever he’s been. I would love to see Iheanacho in the 10 behind Vardy, it’ll create all sorts of space and problems. But it certainly won’t happen. 

4 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

If we're honest, we still struggled to create real chances, which is an ongoing problem.  That said we were clearly the better side and at least we were making the attempt to attack rather than aimlessly recycling possession in our own half.  A good performance - very good in terms of intent - but a bit of a missed opportunity, as Roma will almost certainly be better at home next week.

I hope this will stop the ridiculous talk that Abraham isn't quality.  I've not seen many strikers do such stellar defensive work in their own box, and he created a great chance out of absolutely nothing.  He got no support all night but still had an impact on both ends.

It was the same as the last few games. Dominate but struggle to come up with anything decent in the final third. Partly down to our insistence of trying to pass the ball into the net partly to the fact that teams know we struggle to open up a low block. 

1 minute ago, Bert said:

Historically he’s only ever played with one striker, wherever he’s been. I would love to see Iheanacho in the 10 behind Vardy, it’ll create all sorts of space and problems. But it certainly won’t happen. 

The only time I think I’ve seen it was Crystal Palace away if I’m not mistaken. We would’ve won that if our defence wasn’t so shocking at that stage in the season.

A serious question to ponder, but do we start Vardy in the return leg? He has just come back from injury and he was not given a sniff as Roma’s backline sat back. Nacho has been playing well and he is better on holding the ball and bringing other players such as Madders, Barnes and Lookman into play in tight spaces. In the next game, Roma will likely do the same so I feel it is better to start Nacho. In that case, we can bring Vardy on later in the game if it opens up - the key is not to concede early and then they will sit back the whole game. 

In the first game, we were much better after Nacho and Barnes got on offensively. 

We miss Mendy. His absence meant that we needed to rely more on our CBs and Tielemans (who is a bit too careless from time to time to play that role and in any event he should be a bit further up dictating play).

• Like 1

Played well, kept the ball well. 

Work on that final ball and we'll be there. 

Wing play was good, Riccy and Lookman were causing problems all night. 

Assume we consciously didn't let JJ or Barnes run at their man and felt we forced it down the right too often 

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Played well, kept the ball well. 

Work on that final ball and we'll be there. 

Wing play was good, Riccy and Lookman were causing problems all night. 

Assume we consciously didn't let JJ or Barnes run at their man and felt we forced it down the right too often 

Ricci P was my MotM last night, he never stopped running up and down the wing, making himself available one minute and chasing back the next.  Some crucial tackles too.

We say it every week but what a player Little Wes is.  I don’t know how we got him to sign until 2027, did Rudders kidnap his cat or something?

• Like 1

We didn't batter their goal, but did pepper their penalty area. We need to make more of these promising-looking attacks into genuine opportunities to score. Everyone played well. Roma came for the draw, but will be different proposition in the second leg. Still, we have a fighting chance of winning there.

For me personally it was a missed opportunity to gain an advantage going to Roma. They’re not a good side, well drilled, but they’re not particularly threatening. 

We made life difficult for ourselves again, the set up wasn’t right, Maddison was too far away from Vardy, meaning he was isolated. The movement off the ball was too slow again, you’re never going to create space if your movement without the ball is like ours is. 

In recent times we’ve been most productive with two attackers. I think Brendan needs to switch to a back three for the away leg, try and get Maddison as close as possible to Vardy and get Kalechi up there with him to cause problems. He’s got to try something a bit different because we can’t go to Rome and play like that again.