Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wardyfox86

Post Match - Roma 1-1

10 hours ago, Babylon said:

And the shots on goal were? Please don’t fall into this possession = control crap from the manager. We did nothing again.

13 shots versus 4.

The accuracy of those shots was the problem - 1 on target!!

• Like 2

I thought we played really well but strangely I thought Roma, for what they set out to do, did as well. Will be interesting to see how they set up in the next leg. Surely they won't be quite so conservative but  I think Mourinho will know we create better chances when we have the space behind their defence.

They did a great job at suffocating the centre of the pitch and around their own box. Almost no space for Maddison to turn into all game. 

they showed almost nothing on the counter attack and Tielemans again losing concentration cost us a goal. We just need to keep concentrated for the whole game even when we feel in control otherwise Mourinho will do us

They allow us a lot of efforts from 20 yards and if Maddison can get in the rhythm there’s not many better from that range

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Just woke up from getting back home at 2am.

We had chances to win it last night - particularly when Maddison broke into the box and instead of shooting he tried to do one last trick (ff shoot man!).

I thought we did ok. We restricted them to not much. I wasn’t that impressed with them. Mourinho has morphed into Stoke Peak Pulis - big lads, organised and hard to break down. 

I think we can beat them in Rome, and last night partly feels like a wasted opportunity. But we’re well in the tie and that’s the main thing. I see similarities to the PSV tie, but I think they are better than them. Hopefully we can assert our dominance again and not be as wasteful as were last night.

It could be worse - just look at West Ham last night against probably a lesser team.

Spot on, Maddison had to hit that chance 1st time like in Eindhoven and we'd be 2-1 up.

Mentally for the team they can draw on the fact that we won away last time out (we've done it) and actually dominated the 2nd half.

They were tiring from about 70, this is a squad tie i.e. 15-16 players.  We won Eindhoven with Brendan's positive early changes.

No doubt Roma are a very decent side and will be much more aggressive at home, they still have to win this tie, but that opens it up for us.  We were the better side last night and on balance should have taken a lead to Italy, even if we have v few clear cut chances.

• Like 1

The first leg was always going to be a tight game. Two good teams well organised in a two legged semi final. Could have gone either way by a single goal but 1-1 was probably a fair result. We played some good stuff but ultimately we were let down by our poor conversion of good chances. So into the second leg there is everything to play for which is not a bad place to be by any means. We will have learnt a lot from that and know that we can finish better than last night. If we do that then we can make the final as we will get opportunities in Rome. 

27 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I don't buy the mythology that the only way you can play two strikers is with 5 at the back - Rodgers just lacks the imagination and inclination to do so now.  We won a title playing two strikers and a back four.  You could even do a straight swap of Kelechi for Albrighton and play a midfield diamond, with Maddison up top and Lookman on the right opposite KDH.  It'd be a very aggressive formation, especially with Tielemans as the holding MF, but I think it would create a lot of trouble for Roma's back line.

Okazaki was much more of a work horse, and played a totally different role to what Nacho or Daka could.

It was a mystery to me why we over-watered the pitch.

But just read that Jose was saying their midfield legs had gone in the last 15mins.

So presumably making the going soft was a deliberate attempt to suck energy, assuming we had superior 90 min fitness.

If that was the case, it makes it more frustrating we didn’t show more attacking intent to coincide with that.

Edited by 5waller5

12 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I thought we played really well but strangely I thought Roma, for what they set out to do, did as well. Will be interesting to see how they set up in the next leg. Surely they won't be quite so conservative but  I think Mourinho will know we create better chances when we have the space behind their defence.

I got a feeling they will play in a very similar way at home.

Jose will look to keep it tight again and nick a winner.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I don't buy the mythology that the only way you can play two strikers is with 5 at the back - Rodgers just lacks the imagination and inclination to do so now.  We won a title playing two strikers and a back four.  You could even do a straight swap of Kelechi for Albrighton and play a midfield diamond, with Maddison up top and Lookman on the right opposite KDH.  It'd be a very aggressive formation, especially with Tielemans as the holding MF, but I think it would create a lot of trouble for Roma's back line.

It's strange as well because his best ever side, liverpool 13/14, played 2 up top with 4 at the back. Without mendy/ndidi available im not sure it's possible at the moment but i think if we'd played this way from the start of the season we would be much better off in the league

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

It was a mystery to me why we over-watered the pitch.

But just read that Jose was saying their midfield legs had gone in the last 15mins.

So presumably making the going soft was a deliberate attempt to suck energy, assuming we had superior 90 min fitness.

If that was the case, it makes it more frustrating we didn’t show more attacking intent to coincide with that.

.....or wear the correct studs!

27 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

13 shots versus 4.

The accuracy of those shots was the problem - 1 on target!!

To be fair the accuracy of those shots was poor because a lot of them were pot shots from 20 yards because we couldn't get anywhere near their goal. 

How many stonewall chances did we create yesterday or even in the last five or six games? We've become very poor creatively recently. 

The one time we had the sense to actually try and get round behind them yesterday with a bit of pace, Barnes made a goal. It's not rocket science but we've become completely inept - either hoofing in aimless long crosses from way too far out wide or punting long shots from 25 yards. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

To be fair the accuracy of those shots was poor because a lot of them were pot shots from 20 yards because we couldn't get anywhere near their goal. 

How many stonewall chances did we create yesterday or even in the last five or six games? We've become very poor creatively recently. 

The one time we had the sense to actually try and get round behind them yesterday with a bit of pace, Barnes made a goal. It's not rocket science but we've become completely inept - either hoofing in aimless long crosses from way too far out wide or punting long shots from 25 yards. 

I agree to some extent, particularly crossing. Putting crosses into the box is completely flawed - we don’t even look interested getting our nut on it. Who do we have that is good in air? Our corners are a travesty as well. Literally pointless, and don’t even beat the first man half the time. If Elliott, Taggs et al were dead they’d be turning in their grave - but they’re not (in fact I saw Elliott last night).

I think we did really well and we don't have anything to fear going there. However what I am worrying about is a selfish streak that seems to be emerging within our front line. A number of times recently Maddison and Barnes in particular have been going for goal when they have team mates in place for an easy tap in. Not sure if it's the World Cup coming up and lads trying to pad their stats but it's to the detriment of the team.

• Like 1

Best part was Veretout being absolute dog shit and blowing out of his arse even without playing the full game.

We’re fitter than these and have a deeper squad. Even if they have more quality in their first eleven than us.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Re: Watering of the pitch 

UEFA are quite specific in their competition regulations about it. They literally lay out how often it should be done in the last twenty minutes before the game and the half time break 

Hose pipe? Do they say how many gallons in total?

What did we learn?

1. Their keeper parried the ball. We need to test him with more shots.

2. We need to get to the byeline more

3. Crosses in are pointless.

4.if vardy is on we need to pop 2 balls over early doors to give their backline something to think about..

5. Lookman is a bit chaotic and this causes problems.

We can beat these.

7 minutes ago, KFS said:

Best part was Veretout being absolute dog shit and blowing out of his arse even without playing the full game.

We’re fitter than these and have a deeper squad. Even if they have more quality in their first eleven than us.

Most of them are just dirty, organised and comfortable on the ball, if we are on our A game we have a good chance.

Our attacking threat is a lot better than there's no one really stood out for me in the Roma team apart from Smalling and we know what Abraham is capable of giving the space.

Edited by whoareyaaa

Guest Chocolate Teapot
15 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Re: Watering of the pitch 

UEFA are quite specific in their competition regulations about it. They literally lay out how often it should be done in the last twenty minutes before the game and the half time break 

They also went mental over the positioning of the ball boys in the first half and had them moved.

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

Most of them are just dirty, organised and comfortable on the ball, if we are on our A game we have a good chance.

Our attacking threat is a lot better than there's no one really stood out for me in the Roma team apart from Smalling and we know what Abraham is capable of giving the space.

Not to jinx it for next week but Abraham is ****ing shit lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1