Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wardyfox86

Post Match - Roma 1-1

34 minutes ago, KFS said:

Best part was Veretout being absolute dog shit and blowing out of his arse even without playing the full game.

We’re fitter than these and have a deeper squad. Even if they have more quality in their first eleven than us.

At least he finally made it on to our pitch. Regrets, I've had a few... :facepalm:

10 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Abraham really isn’t shit. I’d have him in a heartbeat. His defensive work last night was wonderful. 

Agreed. Whilst he didn’t get much time on the ball last night, when he did I thought he looked dangerous. His flick for their goal was something that only genuinely talented players can pull off. 

Honestly, this perception that he is rubbish lacks substance. He scored 15 for Chelsea in 19/20 and didn’t take penalties. Abraham has also bagged a load for Roma too. You’re bang on about the defensive work also, if the game opens up next week then he could cause us some serious problems.

I really rate him, I reckon he probably should play as the second striker to Kane for England tbh.

Roma's back line did their job, Smalling (reminded me of VVD) marshalled his defense making it hard for our forwards to create chances.

Can't believe ManU thought he wasn't needed and they thought Maguire came would be better.

We were abit shell shocked when they scored but we're exciting when Iheanacho and Barnes and we went for the goal.

Felt for Vardy didn't get any service.

Edited by CrispinLA in Texas

14 hours ago, Nalis said:

I'd generally agree but this is essentially half time. If we risk things a little too much and lose then the different in 2-1 and 1-1 is huge. Agreed we can do them next week.

I was in the process of replying to this and the other response to my comment when my phone died on the way back from the match. I agree, a draw is a huge result in comparison to going for it then being countered and scored on. My frustration was just to how sloppy we were towards the end.

26 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

What would you play out of interest?

Well, I offered one possible option - a midfield diamond with Maddison at the top, Tielemans at the base, and KDH and Lookman on the sides.  You could play that same formation with Albrighton on the left instead of Lookman if you were worried about defensive cover, but I'd prefer Lookman because he's better at keeping possession.

3 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Abraham would look decidedly average in Brendan's lone striker/zero service system.

He got zero service yesterday and still managed to be their most impactful player along with Smalling.  Much more impactful than Vardy, that's for sure.

Edited by Deeg67

9 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....I do not believe we will ever eradicate the malaise, unless we bring in  new !!!

This has been going on for years, we do create situations where we fall down and fail to select the right pass, or are tentative in our execution and not on the same . You would think there are routines that you can practise for playing in the last third, where an individual knows where he should be and you can make a pass without looking, as you know there will be someone in the space, in which you have released to.

In union, Leicester Tigers would be a yard away from gaining a try, with their players passing and trying to sneak over the line. The outcome was minutes of going from side to side, and someone in the Tigers team would mishandle , and you turn over the ball to your opponents. You would think somewhat choreographed moves in that would be something that would help to get them over the line.

Yes I know what you mean but it's down to the Coaching. In fairness some of our movement has gotten so much better, Particularly those interchanges down along the wings where we gain ground and create space. Maddison has helped greatly in that movement as he often drops deep supported by Tilly on the inside and Ricky and Mark on the wing.

That's worked better for us recently, but again our lack of real pace in those area's often causes us to lose the advantage we just gained. As happened a few times last night.

Our positioning for free kicks and Corners is also terrible. We just lup it in there and hope for the best. While we're all bunched up in the area, Sometimes looking like we're marking each other.

Lookman would be better served taking up a position  where he can move wide as the ball is in the air. This way he might just pick up an over hit cross or a know on from a defender.

Similarly Maddison and Youri should be taking up postions just outside the box to pick up defensive headers and go from there. These are simple things which you would think players should instinctively know but obviouslt in our case don't

The best way to Coach these and other situations is by setting up situations in and around the Box and back line and just walk the players through it. It needs to be repeated and repeated until they understand the movements. Then the players own creative talents take over and they act instinctively in the real game environment.

The movement for our goal last night is a good example. Barnes attacked the space while Kelechi held off the defender . He ntended to play a wall pass with Kelchi but the defender poked it back into his Path which led to the same result.

I thought Barnes should have pulled it back towards the penalty Spot instead he played across the Goal and it was only Lookmans bravery which brought about the Goal. 

Similary Vardy made the same mistake in the first half when he fired across goal instead of picking out Youri who was charging into the area.

Of course there are times when it's the right thing to do for Taps in but pulling the Ball back opens up more of the Goal and there's nearly always someone runnung into the Box. With practice the players instinctively know where to be. It's no accident that Liverpool are as good as they are. Despite having a big strong physical and fast group of talented players, They have a understanding as to where someone is,  or is going to be shortly. Which is why they are so easy on the eye, But it's also clear that it's something that they worked on in training.

As to us, II'm not sure why Brendan hasn't picked up on this yet, But I'd say we're still a work in progress with a lot of work still to be done.

With some big decisions needed as to the makeup of the squad going forward from this Summers window.  

• Like 1

Having seen the replays, is it just me or was their goal a really poor one to concede for Kasper? The run and through ball were perfect, tore us apart, it just felt like Kasper made himself big for the finish but then allowed it to go through his legs.

Perhaps i am being harsh but i think 9 times out of 10 he saves those with ease.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Corners are pointless. We should just take short ones quite frankly because none of our taller players know how to attack a cross. Vardy with the near post flick on is probably our best bet, all of our centre backs are shit. 

I thought Fofana headed the ball quite well from a corner, in Rennes a few weeks back.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, lcfc67 said:

Anyone else see that idiot of a ref high giving the Roma player in the first half ? Unbelievable !

he did and then he lectured the player as to why he shouldn’t have done it - maybe don’t accept the fist pump in the first place ????

2 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

I thought Fofana headed the ball quite well from a corner, in Rennes a few weeks back.

last night we failed to make any decent contact with any corners - the only chance fell to ade (Sod’s law) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

And as far as I'm aware, that's his one goal to date in a City shirt? 

I love Wes, he's probably my favourite player in the squad at the moment. He's absolutely world class and if we could clone him we'd be well set. 

But he's shown no evidence of being able to consistently and dangerously attack a set piece. And that's fine, he's in the team to defend. 

But let's not pretend he's going to be scoring like John Terry or Sergio Ramos any time soon.