Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wardyfox86

Post Match - Roma 1-1

I thought we were okay but I reckon we'll regret not getting a second tonight. Few moments where we were crying out to just be a little more direct with the ball but it was all a bit sloppy and ponderous back to front. Tricky for wingers to ever find space when the oppo has settled down by the time they get the ball.

That Roma were largely pedestrian they still managed to bag which is a concern and Vardy up top tonight (with the benefit of hindsight) was a big mistake.

Still in the tie and heads didn't completely drop, though. Kept grafting and got our goal. Maddison was lively enough and Youri had a better second half. 

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
  • Like 4

Guest MarshallForEngland

We were good but lacked urgency when we won the ball back especially in the first half, suited Roma being able to regain shape. I thought they closed down our passing options well until the last 20-25 mins when they looked absolutely knackered, they were there for the taking at that stage in my view although with Abraham up top they were always dangerous (very pleased he's found somewhere to flourish by the way, looked decent tonight). All in all we have to be very happy with that performance and the result isn't terrible. They should have had a few more bookings, ref was very lenient. 

4 minutes ago, sishades said:

Oh get real. They did not bottle it, Roma are a good side so please can the mods ban the usage of the B word .

I'm not discrediting the performance or discrediting the opposition, but we created enough to win that today. But we weren't clinical enough, it's a great performance to be optimistic going into Rome but it's hard not to feel like we should be going in with a one goal margin 

Just now, MarshallForEngland said:

We were good but lacked urgency when we won the ball back especially in the first half, suited Roma being able to regain shape. I thought they closed down our passing options well until the last 20-25 mins when they looked absolutely knackered, they were there for the taking at that stage in my view although with Abraham up top they were always dangerous (very pleased he's found somewhere to flourish by the way, looked decent tonight). All in all we have to be very happy with that performance and the result isn't terrible. They should have had a few more bookings, ref was very lenient. 

as long as he isnt playing us ! but yes it will do England good to have more players going abroad and succeeding 

4 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Great performance on the whole, my only gripe is the way we finished, you've got 5 minutes to try and get a winner, their not interested in attacking but we misplace so many passes, little slips etc.

We can do these next week.

More understandable today given the second leg is to come but I still agree that the lack of intent for the last 15 mins was really disappointing. You want to take some positive momentum from the game.

Something that Rodgers will never deviate from is having his team's pass the ball incredibly slowly around the back when chasing a game. Not saying you have to lump the ball forward every time but a bit of urgency and mixing it up is needed

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

We created enough to win the game, shouldve had a 1 goal margin going into the away leg on the back of how well we played 

I think we must have very different definitions of bottling it then. I agree with what you've said here but don't see that as a choke by any stretch.

• Like 1

Just now, The Year Of The Fox said:

Thought we played well really compared to of late

Still think we’ve ****ed it though.

Rodgers won’t know what to do the second leg. Attack or sit back and hope to grab a goal on the counter??

He has been positive in these UECL games.. PSV he really went for it 

• Like 1

Just now, The Year Of The Fox said:

Thought we played well really compared to of late

Still think we’ve ****ed it though.

Rodgers won’t know what to do the second leg. Attack or sit back and hope to grab a goal on the counter??

Didn't most of the forum think that when we draw with PSV at home?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Played well, clearly the better side.

Mourinho did Mourinho tactics and parked the bus. Nothing to fear going to their place in the 2nd leg.

Well they wont Park the bus, in the 2nd leg..I

They come,they saw...Now lets see if we can turn the Tables & conquer..

3 Coins in a fountain..3 different G.scorers who gets the best Settlement at This EOS divorce

We can win there, no doubt. They are nothing special. 

We were our own worst enemies early doors by being too passive in contact. They battered us in tackles and the goal was a collective switch off.

After that, we were by far the better team. Need a better cutting edge though. Same old story this season. But we can repeat Eindhoven. 

You could just copy and paste post match comments from the previous game. Too comfortable just passing around at the back. Far to slow moving the ball forward.

Nobody wants to run with the ball anymore. Albrighton was really poor.

Roma are bang average at best and its frustrating that we didn't take an advantage to Italy.

Oh and that referee was an absolute shambles.

1 minute ago, foxes1988 said:

Like we did plenty of times last season? How can we go with 5 at the back when Evans and fofana have been injured for the majority of the season.

Pretty easy. 

Justin Evans Fofana 

Ricardo                            Thomas/timmy 

Or put Amartey and soyuncu in the back 3. Why do we have to play a back 5 at home? Take Kevin or Lookman off and bring either nacho or Daka on right at the start of the second half with Vardy. Their game plan was to defend and take a break away win or draw.