Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Old git

Leaving Early (AGAIN ! )

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Diddums. If anything, there being a later train back on now gives people even less of an excuse. It's been a lifesaver for mates of mine.

As for it being a school night, I'm not sure anyone's kids would be too thrilled at having to miss the end of exciting games. If you're that worried about them being out late, I'd suggest taking them to night games is a bit of a daft idea in the first place.

...you say a late train is on now and it has saved your bacon on a few occasions, what would you have done prior to that!!!

Taking your kids to a European game (when we are not sure when the next one will be) can only be done at night. You may have read the post from a few posters stating how excited their child was to be going to the game (no doubt ecstatic that their team was in a European Semi and they had the chance to be there). I would say that they would rather 80 minutes of the game than none at all, and leaving early although not ideal, afforded an experience that most of the kids at their school will more than likely never experience at all.

Leave early if you really must but go... do not stand in the way of other supporters who stay till the end. Adding another point it causes a health and safety hazard incase of an emergency. Why can't some stewards stay in the stands to move supporters on till the final whistle?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TK95 said:

While I don't leave early, I do appreciate the gridlock after every single game trying to leave the ground. Club need to get their fingers out when it comes to traffic control. So disorganised compared to many of the away grounds we've been to 

It's only gonna get worse with the expansion as well

Plan it in to your day. Not like it's unexpected.

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

Mind your own business. People pay for their ticket & they have every right to leave early you know.

I'm not sure this is the point. I think it's more of a case of "I don't get why they'd leave early" as opposed to "how dare they leave early" 

For most it's probably to "beat the traffic" - really what's a few minutes more for the sacrifice or potentially missing a goal. I can understand it in maybe a handful of reasons, motability issues in crowds, having to go to another prior engagement on time, elderly etc. But for other reasons I just don't get it. I've paid to watch a football match so why not watch it in it's entirety? Would you ever leave early from the cinema whilst watching a movie? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lcfclcfc1 said:

Leave early if you really must but go... do not stand in the way of other supporters who stay till the end. Adding another point it causes a health and safety hazard incase of an emergency. Why can't some stewards stay in the stands to move supporters on till the final whistle?

Exactly, think it was the Palace game , 4 blokes decide to leave just as we have a corner, I know Madders is going not going to clear the defender on the near post, but I would have at least liked to have seen it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Good idea. I got back at close to 2am on Friday morning after the Roma game. But then again my journey one way is 2.5-3 hours! So maybe I’m an outlier 

You're not alone. Of the 8 of us that went to the match, 5, including a 10yr old, had journeys of between 2 & 3 hours each way.  Absolutely no-one left early.

As others have said, if you are doing it, do it quick. The loiterers, causing an obstruction, are the worst. Just pi$$ off if you're going, and don't block the view of those remaining.

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

Mind your own business. People pay for their ticket & they have every right to leave early you know.

[This post above may be being ironic, but it's an opinion that's held]

... and contribute to a poorer atmosphere which doesn't galvanise the players. Instead of the 'I'll do what I want attitude' why not "let's ALL support the team to the end". 

Edited by LaCiudad

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...coming from Market Harborough, the trains are are about 40 mins apart!!!

If you miss the one just after 10.oopm you are faced with waiting until about 11.00pm to catch the last one, on a school night. You can understand the reasoning.

It is common place for people to leave early, even if it is a Saturday or a Sunday game, we are not going to change people's habits, the only problem as mentioned was, that it impedes the views of others trying to watch the game.

What happens at 11pm? Demons emerge from the tracks? Jesus.

I had to drive back up to Manchester after the game, didn't catch me leaving early. Had to be in the office first thing the next day as well.

• Like 2

For fans leaving early the problem to me seems to be getting away from the ground, I travel to Hinckley, if I leave dead on 90, which I’ve done a couple of times this season, I can get out of Leicester in 10 minutes and back home in 20, if I leave at full time, I can spend 45 minutes just getting out of leicester, in fact against Roma I parked on jarrom st?,  (never again) near the sir Robert peel, and it took 90 minutes to get home because it was rammed on welford road then on king richard’s way. Now I ain’t being funny but that’s just Fvckin ridiculous, I’d have been quicker walking home. So I can’t blame fans for leaving early, if people want to blame anyone, blame the council because they could do something about it. I went Hull away a few years back in the car and on leaving was pleasantly surprised to find all the traffic lights are set to green as far as the motorway, with police bikes directing you, simply to get cars out of the city as quick as possible, easy to implement and  obviously better as there ain’t any traffic jams so people who live in the city just avoid the area for a short time.
  It’s the half time that gets me, how fans can go down after half an hour beats me. If  the club were so bothered they would stop the tv screens showing the match to deter fans from going downstairs at half time and do away with the kiosks or at least employ a company that can pour a couple of thousand pints etc in 15 minutes. They do it at the rugby, why can’t we use their catering staff and bin this lot we use at the moment.

How about the catering company giving their staff 20p bonus every time the till gets used, that’d speed them up a bit.

Edited by yorkie1999

19 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

What happens at 11pm? Demons emerge from the tracks? Jesus.

I had to drive back up to Manchester after the game, didn't catch me leaving early. Had to be in the office first thing the next day as well.

...much more the kids getting off to bed just before 12 o'clock!!!

Not going to look to castigate people leaving just before the end of games, it really is up to them how they seek to manage their own lives. The only problem is impacting on the people who have chosen to stay and marring their views whilst people are leaving.

First ever game my Dad took me to was the 3-3 game against Arsenal when Bergkamp scored a hat trick. My Dad made us leave when Bergkamp made it 3-2 and we were half way up the road as the stadium erupted when Walsh equalised. I'll never forget that and so never leave games early. 

Maybe some of our fans are so sick of us conceding in stoppage time that they just save themselves the pain and leave early 🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Corky said:

If it is a school night we should kick off at 6.30pm to allow everyone to get home. Club should do more to cater for families.

Club have no sway in it at all, it’s down to tv broadcasters. 8pm is perfect kick off time for then. The euro 2020 final kicking off at 8pm, against all coherent advice, is a case in point in how much tv dictates 

3 hours ago, David Oldfields Gate said:

Agree. It never happened at Filbert St. All the Jonny come lately modern fans who can f right off back to supporting man u.

Yes it did...dont let nostalgia cloud your world view. 

15 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

First ever game my Dad took me to was the 3-3 game against Arsenal when Bergkamp scored a hat trick. My Dad made us leave when Bergkamp made it 3-2 and we were half way up the road as the stadium erupted when Walsh equalised. I'll never forget that and so never leave games early. 

Maybe some of our fans are so sick of us conceding in stoppage time that they just save themselves the pain and leave early 🤣

That’s the match that I always use as the prime example in these debates. Could have been worse for you as it was only 1-2 on 90 mins, some missed 3 goals. Walshys equaliser and his run to the Arsenal bench to ask Ian Wright what he thought of it was an electric moment ( sorry to rub it in) that typified our spirit, it was bigger than a goal or a league point, it represented our attitude and determination, the national media will always see it for the Bergkamp goals but the parallel narrative was 3 goals in injury time and the never say die spirit of our boys. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vestan Pance said:

Just another example of how our supporters have become increasingly weird since winning the league.

No camaraderie, little sense of group identity, just a bunch of individuals who each think they're a super supporter. 

Your biggest mistake is assuming this is unique to Leicester fans. 

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....perhaps these "tourists" now feel comfortable, that they can now bring their children and family to watch games, where previously, and I am sure we all do remember, the scenes before and after games, and as has recently been reported on this forum, that it is still happening now.

More revenue coming into the club, a more diverse group of people now sitting in the stands and watching a live football game where that option would have been opened to them, but from a safety aspect, curtailed by parents or partners alike.

There is a change in the atmosphere, and as you have previous memories to compare it to, it will only reaffirm a view of our present perceived shortcomings. 

The club constantly states that it wants to develop a "family" at this club, for some, it has met its objectives and meets their needs, I am not sure if we are attempting to recreate nostalgia or genuinely looking to engage a community into a more sanitised experience.

I think we’ll need to just fit huge speakers into the expansion plans and blare out crowd noise 😂

• Haha 1

I'd expand this particularly for away matches where individuals get up and disrupt the rest of us 3 or more times throughout the game.

Happens way too often and they can't all have chronically weak bladders!

I can't get up from Devon to many home games in a season so I always make sure I stay to when the players are doing their laps of honour after the game's close but as the OP says, the 'gentrification' of watching football (particularly Premier League football), has definitely lead to such changes in the stands - including the "early leavers" becoming ever more commonplace and on the sharp rise in this day and age.

A classic example of this for me was at the Spartak Moscow game in the Europa Lge back in November. I sat next to a couple of guys (who looked to be in their 30s, perhaps early 40s) and they spent half of the first half talking about their respective missus/family life, paying zero attention to the game! They then cleared off down to the refreshments area in SK2 half way through the first hallf (to presumably casually watch the game on the screens down there over a beer and some food) and didn't re-appear again until half way through the second half when going back to their seats. They then left five minutes before the end with the tie still undecided - what a strange carry on, you may as well stay as an armchair fan at home if that's the way you carry on as a spectator these days! 

I didn’t leave early at our first euro match this season, it was a school night and I had my 13 year old lad with me. Didn’t get home until after 1am, the The Mrs wasn’t pleased as the lad couldn’t drag himself out of bed the next morning. I only live about 8 miles away from the City though lol