Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Old git

Leaving Early (AGAIN ! )

33 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

Think about the point I was making. They HAVE to leave early EVERY match because getting home on time is an ABSOLUTE NECESSITY!!

What if they leave early, but something else happens? They get stuck in traffic? Miss a train? Crash the car? Run somebody over? Get held up by a cow crossing a road? They’re taking a huge risk in attending the matches.

My personal opinion is that the “have to get home early” position is true only for a very small minority and probably for them only some of the time. The real reason is human nature (don’t like waiting, control freak, self importance  etc…) and there is nothing wrong with that. Just don’t stand in front of everyone on the way out 

I don't think that people leave early as an absolute necessity. It's more a convenience. 

Absolutely nobody is leaving early because of self importance or because they're a control freak?? Not sure why you'd think that.

Edited by AKCJ

Anyone remember leaving early in the 70s to avoid the rampaging Geordies or Chelsea Skinheads etc?

Or not leaving early in the 80s to avoid the loitering casuals who did leave early?

Anyone been prematurely ejected into threatening terraced streets at an away game?

Any interesting stories to be told here?

2 minutes ago, Lewis's Junior said:

I've been going regularly since the early 90s, and this problem has definitely got worse. Along with how many are actually watching the game vs glued to their phones, but that's another story. 

The OP makes a valid point from an atmosphere perspective. If a 5-10 minute time saving is more pressing than your team in a European Semi Final, I question whether that £40 ticket was a good investment for you. 

To those saying 'they can do what they like' - no they can't, not one an entire row has to stand up every 30 seconds to let you out, obscuring the view of the 5 rows behind them. Or you stand on the stairs. Are you going or not?

I think some people are just so impatient. Putting aside what may be imperative what does saving 10 minutes or even 30 mins do for you. You've gone to an event and missed the end for what. Seems to be a lack of concentration perhaps. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

I don't think that people leave early as an absolute necessity. It's more a convenience. 

Absolutely nobody is leaving early because of self importance or because they're a control freak?? Not sure why you'd think that.

Yeah I’ll go with that. That’s precisely why  people leave early.

My “self important” comment was more aimed at those who say they “have to” get back because they’ve got so many commitments. I would say that’s rarely the case and that they “want to get back” rather than “have to”.

As you say: “it’s more of a convenience” and that is perfectly reasonable - so long as they don’t inconvenience others who don’t want to depart early 

I think what we are trying to get to is this more or less of an issue for our fan base than any other? We clearly notice it more when our fans are involved but I suspect its just modern football. Nothing to see here, especially if someone is standing in front of you leaving early. 

18 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

Yeah I’ll go with that. That’s precisely why  people leave early.

My “self important” comment was more aimed at those who say they “have to” get back because they’ve got so many commitments. I would say that’s rarely the case and that they “want to get back” rather than “have to”.

As you say: “it’s more of a convenience” and that is perfectly reasonable - so long as they don’t inconvenience others who don’t want to depart early 

So different when as a 9 year boy my older brother took me to matches and sat me on a crash barrier for the whole games ending with raging pins and needles in the thighs. Would not have wanted to miss a single second of the match

36 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I think what we are trying to get to is this more or less of an issue for our fan base than any other? We clearly notice it more when our fans are involved but I suspect its just modern football. Nothing to see here, especially if someone is standing in front of you leaving early. 

To some degree you're right, but I'm not buying that fans of any other club of a similar size to us would be streaming out of its first Euro semi-final ever in the way ours were.

• Like 1

On 01/05/2022 at 08:23, Old git said:

Okay, I know this has a been on here before, but I was so disappointed with hundreds (probably thousands) who left early on Thursday night against Roma.

I know I’ll get slated, with people telling me to mind my own business, that people pay for their ticket & they have every right to leave early, they have to get a train to Harborough I’ve actually heard that before (shit, we must have massive support from there! ).

It was the semi final of a European trophy, it was poised at 1-1, it was a good match. I can’t believe people make such great time savings by leaving early, that they are prepared to miss the conclusion of a game. AND THIS WAS THE SEMI FINAL OF A EUROPEAN COMPETITION!!

Those leaving early DO affect others. They block peoples view as they leave, especially those with seats near the stairways.

Also, the game finished and the players acknowledged the support of the fans, but they saw a stadium a third empty, that is pretty shabby.  
I watched the Leeds v Man City game on MOTD this morning, Leeds we’re losing 4-0, their fans sang throughout and stayed to applaud their teams efforts at the end.

You can clearly see from me, I feel this is one facet of the increasingly shit atmosphere at our ground.  The gentrification of football has led to a change in the average type of supporter.  There are more and more ‘tourist supporters’ at Leicester.  I don’t mean actual tourists from other countries, I’m fine if the odd visitor fancies seeing what a city game is like.  I mean the local person who comes along expecting to be entertained, who at  most, might clap their clapper, they come and contribute little to the atmosphere, rather than coming to support their local team and hoping for a win.

Cue the flack !

Do you count it as a tourist if you're a City fan but can't make most games due to living non locally and thus only get to 'day trip' down a handful of times a season? 

Just asking... For a friend 😁

7 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Do you count it as a tourist if you're a City fan but can't make most games due to living non locally and thus only get to 'day trip' down a handful of times a season? 

More reason to stay till the end and support the team. Not like you can simply say I can come back in a fortnight etc. I think tourist fans are those that only casually follow football. If I was a neutral at a game I would still wait till the end. Mind you I always read the titles at end of film or all the album sleeve notes

18 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

More reason to stay till the end and support the team. Not like you can simply say I can come back in a fortnight etc. I think tourist fans are those that only casually follow football. If I was a neutral at a game I would still wait till the end. Mind you I always read the titles at end of film or all the album sleeve notes

Agreed, I don't leave early for those reasons but since the original poster was moaning about tourists who aren't fans and you hear the phrase day tripper bandied around a lot just wondered his criteria. I agree tourists are those who are there at the game for entertainment rather than actually rabidly support the team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Only if you (sorry, your friend :whistle:) spend the match taking selfies, leaving early and not knowing what the blue sash is. Otherwise you're one of our own. :thumbup:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, He aint bald said:

Anyone remember leaving early in the 70s to avoid the rampaging Geordies or Chelsea Skinheads etc?

Or not leaving early in the 80s to avoid the loitering casuals who did leave early?

Anyone been prematurely ejected into threatening terraced streets at an away game?

Any interesting stories to be told here?

Remember it well and must admit it sounds personally familiar 🙄

I do have a little bit of sympathy  with some of the early leavers because.

Very often games kick off a few minutes late due to the knee etc.

Three to four minutes can be added for extra time in the first half

Some teams are late comming out for second half by several minutes.

There can be 6 to 7 minutes added time at the end of matches even with no injuries.

Anybody catching trains or buses might find it a bit tight with connections.

One thing I like about most Scottish football is that they generally finish bang  on time.

57 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Only if you (sorry, your friend :whistle:) spend the match taking selfies, leaving early and not knowing what the blue sash is. Otherwise you're one of our own. :thumbup:

Shite, I'd better go and support Arsenal instead 😬

I mean... My mate should that is 😏

Edited by Arriba Los Zorros

23 hours ago, Oldblueyes said:

I do have a little bit of sympathy  with some of the early leavers because.

Very often games kick off a few minutes late due to the knee etc.

Three to four minutes can be added for extra time in the first half

Some teams are late comming out for second half by several minutes.

There can be 6 to 7 minutes added time at the end of matches even with no injuries.

Anybody catching trains or buses might find it a bit tight with connections.

One thing I like about most Scottish football is that they generally finish bang  on time.

Not really having this as an excuse tbh. 99% of the time, the game finishes within 2 hours of kick off time. Surely you just factor these extra timings into train bookings when making them? 

Can see why this could be an issue for some night games, particularly 8 o'clock kick offs, but any other time surely shouldn't be an issue. 

• Like 1

I'm starting to think it's a herding thing. Some fans get influenced by seeing others leave early and perhaps feel they are missing out on something. It almost becomes the thing you must do, copy-cat. Probably goes back to primitive man, safety in numbers, competiveness, anxiety, and it becomes habit forming. I'm sure that some clever people can explain it. But what it doesn't explain is why does it appear to be a bigger thing amongst our fanbase (if it actually is).