Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Old git

Leaving Early (AGAIN ! )

• 6 months later...

We are going to be seeing some very long matches if Fifa's attempt to stop time wasting in the World Cup is carried over into the Premier League. 

So those leaving early are likely to miss a lot of football and the associated game changing moments. 

BBC News - World Cup 2022: Why is there so much stoppage time being added on?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63710986

21 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Personally i think it's a great idea. Effectively it will be up to the players to decide how much time they want to add on, and it will solve a lot of issues. We, as fans, pay for 90 minutes of football.

I am still a big advocate of stopping the clock and having two 30 min play periods. That prevents any obvious time wasting and makes every match played fairly equal. When the time is up, you know the time is up.

11 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I am still a big advocate of stopping the clock and having two 30 min play periods. That prevents any obvious time wasting and makes every match played fairly equal. When the time is up, you know the time is up.

As they do in Rugby League. Independent timekeeper who has a big hooter, football can learn a lesson from that approach.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

As they do in Rugby League. Independent timekeeper who has a big hooter, football can learn a lesson from that approach.

Although it's a good idea, I don't think it will happen in football simply because it changes one of the fundementals of the game, i.e. 45 minutes each half.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

We are going to be seeing some very long matches if Fifa's attempt to stop time wasting in the World Cup is carried over into the Premier League. 

So those leaving early are likely to miss a lot of football and the associated game changing moments. 

BBC News - World Cup 2022: Why is there so much stoppage time being added on?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63710986

90% of people who leave early will still leave at the same point of the match, regardless of the actual time, because their excuses about why they need to leave are so clearly bull.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Although it's a good idea, I don't think it will happen in football simply because it changes one of the fundementals of the game, i.e. 45 minutes each half.

No it does not. you would still "play" 45 minutes in each half.

With the hooter sounding off in rugby everyone knows 40 minutes has been played, no ifs not buts.

The same could easily happen in football after 45 minutes has been played and take the timekeeping element out of the hands of the referee so he/she can concentrate more on keeping up with play.

I see no detriment to the game whatsoever and spectators wouldn't be getting short-changed as per now.

2 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

With the hooter sounding off in rugby everyone knows 40 minutes has been played, no ifs not buts.

The same could easily happen in football after 45 minutes has been played and take the timekeeping element out of the hands of the referee so he/she can concentrate more on keeping up with play.

I see no detriment to the game whatsoever and spectators wouldn't be getting short-changed as per now.

I was kind of replying to the 30 minute suggestion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

90% of people who leave early will still leave at the same point of the match, regardless of the actual time, because their excuses about why they need to leave are so clearly bull.

Missing 3-4 goals because of the train,

Nothing for 90 minutes,or

great game over 90 minutes, Then 10-20 minutes further a different game developed..then you leave to get your train…then the train is fking delayed

40 minutes….British rail hey..:crylaugh:

Edited by fuchsntf

2 hours ago, David Hankey said:

I think you are referring to not stopping the clock at every opportunity but only stopping for longer breaks (like in rugby when the ref calls time off).

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I was kind of replying to the 30 minute suggestion.

I know football is 45 minutes each half but it doesn't mean it cannot change. Football has evolved for over 100 years. I am sure the football of 2022 is not recognisable to that of 1950. Sin bins are another thing that should be included for blatant offences like tactical fouls, time wasting etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Something else I’d take from rugby is to treat the players on the pitch while the game is ongoing. Obviously if it’s a gk (unless we introduce a temporary sub keeper) or serious injury then the game stops. It would stop all the time wasting that goes on when a player wants a physio because someone has nudged him or stood on his toe etc. just to waste a few minutes.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Frankanddad said:

Why can’t the referees watch be tied to the big screens in the stadium/TV? We would all know how much time is left, that would sort it out.

They’re not allowed to show how much of the additional time has been added. In any football.