Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Leicester to appoint Martyn Glover as head of senior recruitment.

Looking back at his recruitment track record is there anyone Southampton have signed in the last 3 years that they've had to fend off interest in?

Similarly Everton between 2016-19.

Signing players for the future is obviously 'good' but now Southampton's 'future' is in the Championship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In fairness he will be given the profile of player we want to sign then he goes to scout players who fit the profile. Southampton clearly had a strategy around which they wanted to operate. 

I actually still believe Glover did ok, Souttar looks a solid buy, Kristiansan looks like a player with decent potential, I think he has struggled to settle and that maybe largely due to the clique surrounding Luke Thomas. finally Tete looked to all to be an inspired signing but in reality he struggled to adapt and I am not sure he was integrated very well and then we had the managerial change. 

It will be interesting to see how Glover performs this season. He identifies players who fit the required profile and then the manager and DoF will decide which of those I wish to target. 

I think judge him at the end of next season, but in reality it’s difficult if you are shopping at a car boot sale but expected to find diamonds. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

Looking back at his recruitment track record is there anyone Southampton have signed in the last 3 years that they've had to fend off interest in?

Signing players for the future is obviously 'good' but now Southampton's 'future' is in the Championship. 

not a under radar one, but i like kyle walker-peters a lot

On 04/02/2023 at 17:17, FoxyLeon said:

Ignore the ages, he's bought 'Leaders', especially Kristiansen and Tete, their mentality looks terrific. Fully understands what we need, unlike Congerton....If only he had been here 2-3 years earlier.

5-6 players in the Summer of a similar fashion, Mendy/Bertrand/Vestergaard and Thomas (Loan) out, and we could genuinely return to challenging the Top 8.

this tete leader post did not age well haha

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-martyn-glover-southampton-7026460

One thing this Mercury article mentions (sorry if it's been read before) how close he was/is to Steve Walsh and that the club used a top head-hunting firm to find him. I didn't realise this. The signings so far have been underwhelming. But they are young and we don't know what parameters he was given. For all we know he had other players he recommended but the club couldn't get them. 

Will be interesting to see what he does with a full summer. Hopefully he has been compiling two lists in case of relegation.

Edited by Guesty

20 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

Depends what you count 'fend off interest in'. Was the player linked with anyone else?

Was the selling club weighing up offers from other clubs? Was the player considering other offers from other clubs, but chose Southampton? If so, it might not just have been Glover, but it's perhaps also depending on what other clubs were on the table...

Sulemana, for example. I doubt Southampton were only interested given the transfer fee (£20-25m?)

Livramento was pretty sought after, but I think being on loan with Southampton to begin with helped. Salisu came with a decent reputation if I remember correctly. Che Adams I'm pretty sure we were linked with too?

57 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

We're a bit ****ed here aren't we.

Our head of recruitment assembled the Southampton squad that finished rock bottom this season and oversaw three signings in January who haven't been able to get into this shower of shit on a regular basis! Now we're expecting him to build a side capable of promotion when he's successfully helped relegate two sides in one season.

Yes. Really not convinced he's any good at all. 

29 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

Not fending off interest but one of my Saints mates reckons Lavia is destined for the very top.

I think this guy will buy players that will eventually bloom into great buys. The problem with us going down is we don’t have that time unless we’re going to languish for a bit.

1 minute ago, KFS said:

Not fending off interest but one of my Saints mates reckons Lavia is destined for the very top.

I think this guy will buy players that will eventually bloom into great buys. The problem with us going down is we don’t have that time unless we’re going to languish for a bit.

In that case I have some good news :sweating:

2 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Now we’re relegated, do people think the rich 6 would see us, with our training ground, as an ideal place to send promising young players on loan? Surely we are the most attractive team in the championship on that basis. 

They are gonna love our injury record.  Send us your talent and in return we’ll keep your medical staff busy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Fox in the North said:

Now we’re relegated, do people think the rich 6 would see us, with our training ground, as an ideal place to send promising young players on loan? Surely we are the most attractive team in the championship on that basis. 

We won the league at spurs expense (I know 3rd in a 2 horse race and that).

We had 2 major/signification results that denied Liverpool the title in 2019 and 2022. 

And given a club of our recent reputation going down I'd say they ain't too sympathetic towards us at the moment. 

15 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

We won the league at spurs expense (I know 3rd in a 2 horse race and that).

We had 2 major/signification results that denied Liverpool the title in 2019 and 2022. 

And given a club of our recent reputation going down I'd say they ain't too sympathetic towards us at the moment. 

They may not be our biggest fan, but ultimately they're going to care about what their young players want, where will be best for their development, who is going to give them game time etc. None of them dislike us enough that sending a player on loan to us is going to anger their fans. The training ground will be a factor that benefits us when we're trying to get players, as will our recent history.

32 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

I think it's a good possibility. Definitely a market we should be tapping into especially if funds are tight. 

Apparently Fabio Carvalho has been put up for a loan move, would love him here. Stormed the Championship with Fulham. 

Looking at Man City's squad, there's definitely candidates we could get? Harwood-Bellis perhaps if he's not staying at Burnley, Carlos Borges is very good at youth levels. Doyle & Mcatee have had successful loans too. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Guesty said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-martyn-glover-southampton-7026460

One thing this Mercury article mentions (sorry if it's been read before) how close he was/is to Steve Walsh and that the club used a top head-hunting firm to find him. I didn't realise this. The signings so far have been underwhelming. But they are young and we don't know what parameters he was given. For all we know he had other players he recommended but the club couldn't get them. 

Will be interesting to see what he does with a full summer. Hopefully he has been compiling two lists in case of relegation.

I hope we've got them on retainer for the DoF and finance roles.

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Fair assessment of the players we brought in, we had to hope they would make the difference and in the end none of them featured at all!

I would say Souttar was one of the best CBs in the Championship and Kristiansen only going to get better given his age, though I could see us selling him on already if there's interest. So don't think they are complete cast-offs yet. We were clearly shopping in the bargain basement for signings, that's for sure.

Glover found good young players for Southampton, their fans rate Livramento, Bolla-Katchup and Lavia, but it just wasn't enough. Such players brought in now might be good for the challenge ahead of us though.

I hope we could sign one player that is way too good for the division just to give us an edge. Maybe we already have that player in one of the players that stays, but for example Harvey Barnes or Kelechi Iheanacho are way too good for the Championship. When Fulham were down they had Mitrovic, someone with that sort of effect would be most welcome!

Exactly what we need. Give everyone a boost,  players and fans alike. Southampton have brought in a lot of good young players maybe too many compared to experienced pros. I think all those you mentioned are real talents and I like Sulamani too. We need to move on now and start thinking about getting the hard work done early on. I think doing that well will help everyone move on and get back behind the club. 

I've no strong view on him either way yet, but you have to say given how much our future hinges on him being good you can't be too optimistic with the association he's had so far. The four signings in the last year are yet to really work and Southampton managed the seemingly impossible task of being even more shit than us.

Imperative that he has a good summer and yet there isn't loads of evidence to suggest he will.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I think it's a good possibility. Definitely a market we should be tapping into especially if funds are tight. 

Apparently Fabio Carvalho has been put up for a loan move, would love him here. Stormed the Championship with Fulham. 

Looking at Man City's squad, there's definitely candidates we could get? Harwood-Bellis perhaps if he's not staying at Burnley, Carlos Borges is very good at youth levels. Doyle & Mcatee have had successful loans too. 

It's definitely important to utilise the loan market etc, but I'd hate for us to be bringing in other teams youngsters when some of our own have enough to be used and gain experience as well 

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Fair assessment of the players we brought in, we had to hope they would make the difference and in the end none of them featured at all!

I would say Souttar was one of the best CBs in the Championship and Kristiansen only going to get better given his age, though I could see us selling him on already if there's interest. So don't think they are complete cast-offs yet. We were clearly shopping in the bargain basement for signings, that's for sure.

Glover found good young players for Southampton, their fans rate Livramento, Bolla-Katchup and Lavia, but it just wasn't enough. Such players brought in now might be good for the challenge ahead of us though.

I hope we could sign one player that is way too good for the division just to give us an edge. Maybe we already have that player in one of the players that stays, but for example Harvey Barnes or Kelechi Iheanacho are way too good for the Championship. When Fulham were down they had Mitrovic, someone with that sort of effect would be most welcome!

Some of that is wishful thinking 

“Saints were able to secure the signatures of Romeo Lavia from Manchester City and Armel Bella-Kotchap from VfL Bochum in the summer, with Shields' impressive work not having gone unnoticed at St Marys”

• Like 1

Now I’m not making any links …. But

2023 - Leicester - 18th PL (Relegated)

2023 - Southampton - 20th PL Relegated

2022 - Southampton - 15th PL

2021 - Southampton - 15th PL

2020 - Southampton - 11th PL

2019 - Southampton - 16th PL

2019 - Everton - 12th PL

2018 - Everton - 8th PL

2017 - Everton - 8th PL

2016 - Everton - 7th PL

2016 - Sunderland - 17th PL (Relegated 2017)

2015 - Leeds - 15th CH

2015 - West Ham - 12th PL

2014 - West Ham - 13th PL

2013 - West Ham - 10th PL

2012 - West Ham - 3rd CH (Promoted)

2011 - West Ham - 20th (Relegated)

2010 - Blackburn - 10th PL

2009 - Blackburn - 15th PL

I doesn’t scream elite, with loads of world class players flowing through. 

Blackburn we’re relegated 2 years after he left. I wouldn’t read too much into his time at Leeds / Sunderland. 

Just now, Sly said:

Now I’m not making any links …. But

2023 - Leicester - 18th PL (Relegated)

2023 - Southampton - 20th PL Relegated

2022 - Southampton - 15th PL

2021 - Southampton - 15th PL

2020 - Southampton - 11th PL

2019 - Southampton - 16th PL

2019 - Everton - 12th PL

2018 - Everton - 8th PL

2017 - Everton - 8th PL

2016 - Everton - 7th PL

2016 - Sunderland - 17th PL (Relegated 2017)

2015 - Leeds - 15th CH

2015 - West Ham - 12th PL

2014 - West Ham - 13th PL

2013 - West Ham - 10th PL

2012 - West Ham - 3rd CH (Promoted)

2011 - West Ham - 20th (Relegated)

2010 - Blackburn - 10th PL

2009 - Blackburn - 15th PL

I doesn’t scream elite, with loads of world class players flowing through. 

Blackburn we’re relegated 2 years after he left. I wouldn’t read too much into his time at Leeds / Sunderland. 

Weird how Everton stand out in their league position there despite how poor they've been in general with their finances.