Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Leicester to appoint Martyn Glover as head of senior recruitment.

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Weird how Everton stand out in their league position there despite how poor they've been in general with their finances. 

I suppose if you think about it, has he left clubs at the right time, before the ship starts to sink? 

8 minutes ago, Sly said:

Now I’m not making any links …. But

2023 - Leicester - 18th PL (Relegated)

2023 - Southampton - 20th PL Relegated

2022 - Southampton - 15th PL

2021 - Southampton - 15th PL

2020 - Southampton - 11th PL

2019 - Southampton - 16th PL

2019 - Everton - 12th PL

2018 - Everton - 8th PL

2017 - Everton - 8th PL

2016 - Everton - 7th PL

2016 - Sunderland - 17th PL (Relegated 2017)

2015 - Leeds - 15th CH

2015 - West Ham - 12th PL

2014 - West Ham - 13th PL

2013 - West Ham - 10th PL

2012 - West Ham - 3rd CH (Promoted)

2011 - West Ham - 20th (Relegated)

2010 - Blackburn - 10th PL

2009 - Blackburn - 15th PL

I doesn’t scream elite, with loads of world class players flowing through. 

Blackburn we’re relegated 2 years after he left. I wouldn’t read too much into his time at Leeds / Sunderland. 

Depends on the job he's allowed to do as well though doesn't it, did he have full control at these clubs? Did he have a stratergy he was asked to work towards?

3 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Depends on the job he's allowed to do as well though doesn't it, did he have full control at these clubs? Did he have a stratergy he was asked to work towards?

Fully agree, like any job, it depends on the amount of autonomy you have. 

2 hours ago, Sly said:

2019 - Everton - 12th PL

2018 - Everton - 8th PL

2017 - Everton - 8th PL

2016 - Everton - 7th PL

2015 - Leeds - 15th CH

Blackburn we’re relegated 2 years after he left. I wouldn’t read too much into his time at Leeds / Sunderland. 

Do we actually look at CV’s?

3 hours ago, Sly said:

2019 - Everton - 12th PL

2018 - Everton - 8th PL

2017 - Everton - 8th PL

2016 - Everton - 7th PL

2015 - Leeds - 15th CH

He doesn’t manage the team like 

3 hours ago, Sly said:

2019 - Everton - 12th PL

2018 - Everton - 8th PL

2017 - Everton - 8th PL

2016 - Everton - 7th PL

2015 - Leeds - 15th CH

Don't think we can look too much into Southampton either to be honest - I think their budget and structure didn't really allow them to have any sort of proven quality to bring in and so, relied on relatively unproven players to keep them up - which in fairness, they did for a while. 

I liked the signings of Souttar and Kristiansen - both joined a deeply flawed defensive unit, who were coached awfully in a team that was floundering and had zero belief. I don't think we can judge them based on our outcomes this season - the desperation and poor management around the club jades that too much.

Souttar will be playing in a league that he's comfortable with so he can settle and I'd imagine Kristiansen will benefit largely from getting to grips with the physicality of the division; both settling in Leicestershire. I think they'll be important players in our future. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Hopefully he gets dumped soon and we bring back Steve Walsh. 

Seems a waste  signing Soutter for 15m and Kristiansen for 17m when the manager doesn't think there good enough to play

Eh? 

Both very decent signings imo. Not his fault the manager prefers Vestergaard and young on loan Centre back and a right footed Ricardo to play left back

22 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Eh? 

Both very decent signings imo. Not his fault the manager prefers Vestergaard and young on loan Centre back and a right footed Ricardo to play left back

Not to mention Maresca wasn't even here when they were signed lol lol

8 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Hopefully he gets dumped soon and we bring back Steve Walsh. 

Seems a waste  signing Soutter for 15m and Kristiansen for 17m when the manager doesn't think there good enough to play

Don’t think unreasonable. Catastrophic signings if both don’t get minutes under Enzo

I rate both but can’t look awful signings atm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Jury very much out on him, I questioned the appointment at the time as his track record is bang average and that's being kind.

“It’s Yeah but you don’t know who they wanted and who turned them down. We don’t know what the internal process was like so you can’t speculate on anything. I’m fed up of the lack of balance on this board. If it was really so easy we’d have appointed a better head of recruitment. Besides, we’re Leicester, the best aren’t just going to queue up to join us - I am very balanced and smart.”

• Haha 3

In fairness to Glover I am assuming he would have been given a clear brief of the type of profile of player the manager at the time as looking for, he will also have been working to a very strict budget, the big issue for me at the time of recruiting in the January transfer window was the manager who was giving input ended up leaving his role within 2 months and subsequently the new managers at the helm haven’t necessarily wanted/needed that type of profile of player. 

I just hope from a recruitment perspective, Maresca is here for the long term and we can start to build a squad of players that are suited to his style of play. 

Glover has traditionally worked at basket case clubs that are in turmoil and constantly changing managers & styles of play so very difficult to judge him. Let’s hope we create a settled environment that enables him to work closely with Enzo to identify high quality additions. 

On 30/07/2023 at 15:40, Paninistickers said:

Eh? 

I think they both poor signings, they werent improvements over what we had which is usually the key metric.

Club has made some really baffling decisions in the people they have let leave the club, Steve Walsh and then Macia.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

I think they both poor signings, they werent improvements over what we had which is usually the key metric.

Club has made some really baffling decisions in the people they have let leave the club, Steve Walsh and then Macia.

People aren't owned by the club. "letting them leave" is not how I would describe it. 

People moves jobs. It happens.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

With promotion now confirmed, how are we rating Glover's first window?

It was clear from last season we lacked leadership on the pitch and from this article by Percy it seems Glover identified the lists and Enzo made his recommendations. The signings of Coady and Winks clearly address this issue.

Hermansen was picked out by Enzo as what he needed. I'm sure he'll go right to the top.

Fatawu and Mavididi have been undoubted successes.

Casadei and Yunus look to me like they were signings based on needing to plug a gap with the funds available.

Jury is out on Doyle and Cannon's lack of gametime seems like a boardroom signing.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Richard said:

With promotion now confirmed, how are we rating Glover's first window?

It was clear from last season we lacked leadership on the pitch and from this article by Percy it seems Glover identified the lists and Enzo made his recommendations. The signings of Coady and Winks clearly address this issue.

Hermansen was picked out by Enzo as what he needed. I'm sure he'll go right to the top.

Fatawu and Mavididi have been undoubted successes.

Casadei and Yunus look to me like they were signings based on needing to plug a gap with the funds available.

Jury is out on Doyle and Cannon's lack of gametime seems like a boardroom signing.

Id love to know whether players like Fatawu were Glover recruits or Enzo and recommendations from his contacts back at Man City 

Honestly can't fault the business. The only one I didn't rate was Casadei and even he had a few important contributions. Everyone has played a part at some point this season.

Winks aside, who was a statement of intent that this was still very much a temporarily embarrassed premier league squad, it's felt more like the sort of business we did under Pearson - a mix of experienced heads and leftfield signings, all with a point to prove.

We're going to have to be shrewd with what's coming - I just hope we retain the spine of the team, get Fatawu permanently and can keep finding hungry, competitive players.

• Like 1