Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Leicester to appoint Martyn Glover as head of senior recruitment.

58 minutes ago, David Oldfields Gate said:

I'm old school, let the manager choose the players. This role for me should be admin, logistics and gathering, not deciding.

We’d never have won the league if we did that. Thankfully the club isn’t old school.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Oldfields Gate said:

I'm old school, let the manager choose the players. This role for me should be admin, logistics and gathering, not deciding.

...and recommending but the final decision wont be down to him.

1 hour ago, CloudFox said:

Glover arrived at St Mary’s from Everton in 2019 and, in his time on the south coast, acquisitions have included Che Adams, Kyle Walker-Peters, Mohammed Salisu, Ibrahima Diallo, Theo Walcott, Tino Livramento, Adam Armstrong, Takumi Minamino and Armando Broja (the latter pair on loan).

I'd say that's a pretty reasonable record to be honest, given Saints' budgets. I would be happy with us signing equivalents of Walker-Peters, Salisu, Livramento and Broja, at the very least.

Be good to hear from Saints fans on what they think of Glover and the business he's conducted.

That’s a good track record for me. I think Saints squad actually has legs to improve that it’s not had in a long time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

whus7JO.png

This doesn't really fill me with excitement...The Everton and Sunderland stints specifically.

But I suppose this season the Saints signed Livramento and Broja who have been good for them.

Hmmm.

Not convinced personally. Looking at his time at Leeds and Sunderland perhaps this is just a short term option while we wait for someone else to become available? We seem to already have our targets ready for the summer anyway.

28 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

These are the players that were signed during his time at other clubs:

Southampton (joined April 2019 to current):

21/22 - Armstrong (17m), Perraud (12m), Lyanco (7.5m), Livramento (6m), Walcott (free), Broja (loan), Caballero (free)

20/21 - Walker-Peters (13m), Diallo (12m), Salisu (12m), Walcott (loan), Minamino (loan)

19/20 - Ings (25m), Adams (16m), Djenepo (15m), Danso (loan), Walker-Peters (loan)

Everton (joined August 2016 to April 2019):

18/19 - Richarlison (38m), Mina (30m), Digne (20m), Zouma (loan), Gomes (loan), Bernard (free)

17/18 - Gylfi (45m), Keane (25m), Pickford (25m), Klaassen (25m), Walcott (20m), Tosun (20m), Vlasic (10m), Onyekuru (8m), Sandro (5m), Rooney (free), Martina (free), Mangala (loan)

16/17 - Schneiderlin (23m), Lookman (8m) - as he joined in August, excluding all the summer transfers

Sunderland (joined Jan 2016 to August 2016):

16/17 - Ndong (20m), Djilibodji (9m), McNair (5m), Mika (1m), Love (1m), Pienaar (free), Januzaj (loan), Manquillo (loan), Denayer (loan) - summer only deals

Leeds (joined June 2015 to December 2015):

15/16 - Wood (3m), Dallas (2m), Botaka (500k), Erwin (free), Bamba (free), Turnbull (free), Buckley (loan), Adeyemi (loan)

West Ham (joined August 2011 to June 2015):

15/16 - Payet (15m), Ogbonna (11m), Antonio (10m), Obiang (6m), Jelavic (4m), Hendrie (1m), Randolph (free), Song (loan), Moses (loan), Lanzini (loan) - Payet, Ogbonna, Obiang, Randolph, Lanzini were all signed in June/July

14/15 - Valencia (15m), Kouyate (7m), Sakho (5m), Cresswell (5m), Henry (2m), Amalfitano (1m), Zarate, Poyet, Song (loan), Jenkinson (loan), Nene (free)

13/14 - Carroll (17m), Downing (6m), Borriello (loan), Rat (free), Adrian (free), Razak (free), Armero (loan), Nocerino (loan), Johnson (loan), Petric (free), Cole (free)

12/13 - Jarvis (9m), Maiga (6m), Collins (3m), Diarra (2m), Carroll (loan), Henderson (700k), Spiegel (400k), Pogatz (loan), Joe Cole (free), Diame (free), McCartney (free), Jaaskelainen (free), Chamakh (loan), Benayoun (loan)

11/12 - Maynard (2m), Morrison (750k), Vaz Te (600k), Collins (loan), Henderson (loan), John (loan) - Winter only

In the main it’s quite a good record. He gets out during or just before a club’s good spell. Also looks like he shows versatility based on what the club’s philosophy is. I.e you can see cheaper, high quality purchases at Saints versus overpriced names at Everton. 

48 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

These are the players that were signed during his time at other clubs:

Southampton (joined April 2019 to current):

21/22 - Armstrong (17m), Perraud (12m), Lyanco (7.5m), Livramento (6m), Walcott (free), Broja (loan), Caballero (free)

20/21 - Walker-Peters (13m), Diallo (12m), Salisu (12m), Walcott (loan), Minamino (loan)

19/20 - Ings (25m), Adams (16m), Djenepo (15m), Danso (loan), Walker-Peters (loan)

Everton (joined August 2016 to April 2019):

18/19 - Richarlison (38m), Mina (30m), Digne (20m), Zouma (loan), Gomes (loan), Bernard (free)

17/18 - Gylfi (45m), Keane (25m), Pickford (25m), Klaassen (25m), Walcott (20m), Tosun (20m), Vlasic (10m), Onyekuru (8m), Sandro (5m), Rooney (free), Martina (free), Mangala (loan)

16/17 - Schneiderlin (23m), Lookman (8m) - as he joined in August, excluding all the summer transfers

Sunderland (joined Jan 2016 to August 2016):

16/17 - Ndong (20m), Djilibodji (9m), McNair (5m), Mika (1m), Love (1m), Pienaar (free), Januzaj (loan), Manquillo (loan), Denayer (loan) - summer only deals

Leeds (joined June 2015 to December 2015):

15/16 - Wood (3m), Dallas (2m), Botaka (500k), Erwin (free), Bamba (free), Turnbull (free), Buckley (loan), Adeyemi (loan)

West Ham (joined August 2011 to June 2015):

15/16 - Payet (15m), Ogbonna (11m), Antonio (10m), Obiang (6m), Jelavic (4m), Hendrie (1m), Randolph (free), Song (loan), Moses (loan), Lanzini (loan) - Payet, Ogbonna, Obiang, Randolph, Lanzini were all signed in June/July

14/15 - Valencia (15m), Kouyate (7m), Sakho (5m), Cresswell (5m), Henry (2m), Amalfitano (1m), Zarate, Poyet, Song (loan), Jenkinson (loan), Nene (free)

13/14 - Carroll (17m), Downing (6m), Borriello (loan), Rat (free), Adrian (free), Razak (free), Armero (loan), Nocerino (loan), Johnson (loan), Petric (free), Cole (free)

12/13 - Jarvis (9m), Maiga (6m), Collins (3m), Diarra (2m), Carroll (loan), Henderson (700k), Spiegel (400k), Pogatz (loan), Joe Cole (free), Diame (free), McCartney (free), Jaaskelainen (free), Chamakh (loan), Benayoun (loan)

11/12 - Maynard (2m), Morrison (750k), Vaz Te (600k), Collins (loan), Henderson (loan), John (loan) - Winter only

Was he at Everton same time Walsh was DOF ? Potentially someone who understands the processes we may still have in place and therefore a potentially very good appointment. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Was he at Everton same time Walsh was DOF ? Potentially someone who understands the processes we may still have in place and therefore a potentially very good appointment. 

I think Walsh got the blame for a lot of the highly priced  crap signed in 17/18 like Klaasen, Tosun, Schneiderlin and Walcott . Hopefully that is less representative of this guy's talent spotting skills

There's some very good players in that bunch. Every club goes through transfer windows signing some absolute rubbish. And there's some bad ones above. But overall I'd say he's a positive guy to have at any club. 

3 hours ago, David Oldfields Gate said:

There's too much money involved to be doing that these days. What other major company or organisation would put the outlay of up to £50 million to £100 million of assets into the hands of one person?

Dodgy CV in terms of clubs but you’d have said the same about Macia before he came here and look how he turned out. Even Walsh is deemed as a failure these days because of Everton when he practically built this club. It’s a hard line of a work to be a perfect candidate in because of the variables that are out of their control.

If he’s behind Saints bringing in Walker-Peters, Salisu, Broja and Livramento then I’m well onboard.

That West Ham side in 2015/16 was great fun, we obviously blew everyone around us out the water but some of the players he helped bring in for very modest fees (likewise at Southampton) is much easier on the eye than Congerton's past. 

• Like 3

Plus he's probably still mates with Steve Walsh so maybe he could give him afew suggestions for players.

It's good to get an older scout who been doing it a decade and been through half dozen clubs and being British knows and players in the UK as opposed to a foreign scout who'll gets players like Ghezzal, Sliva, Iborra etc for us as opposed good championship prospects

My gut reaction is I'm not sure why you'd sign anyone associated with recruitment at Everton over the last few years. 

But then I'm reminded that they had Walsh there and, as far as I've read, I'm pretty sure he had a hard time actually getting them to listen to him? So I dunno. 

As I've said before, I'm not convinced any one individual is going to have a huge impact on recruitment, I think we have a fairly established team and direction. Nothing obviously changed with Congerton.