Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Leicester to appoint Martyn Glover as head of senior recruitment.

• 1 month later...

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-07-08/announcement-joe-shields-head-of-senior-recruitment-southampton-football-club-2022

Sounds like he has now joined us, they have announced his replacement

“Martyn Glover, previously in the position of Head of Scouting and Recruitment at St Mary’s, has departed to join Leicester City”

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-07-08/announcement-joe-shields-head-of-senior-recruitment-southampton-football-club-2022

Sounds like he has now joined us, they have announced his replacement

“Martyn Glover, previously in the position of Head of Scouting and Recruitment at St Mary’s, has departed to join Leicester City”

What annoys me about this is that Southampton have gone down the route we should have. Hiring someone looking for a promotion after years scouting for one of the biggest in Europe. Also explains them getting Lavia and Delap...

Not someone who has been there, done that and just looking for his next payday.

Similarly I've no doubt the lad in caretaker charge would have been a good permenant hire for us. 

Feels like a missed opportunity in my book anyway.

Edited by AjcW
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I don’t think there is reason to think Glover is just here for his next payday, every reason to think going from Southampton to Leicester can be seen as a promotion

We could have promoted from within, or done like Southampton, but there is still absolutely no harm in bringing in someone like Glover who is vastly experienced in the role and that itself will bring a lot of benefits with it

Missed opportunity in my eyes, Where's the progression and recognition? But that said, Glover does come with a decent reputation.

Guess that rules out us @Ric Flair unless Martyn Glover reads the Summer 2022 priorities thread 🤷‍♂️

I hope he asserts his Southampton modelling and we look for shrewd signings. KWP(13m), Salisu(12m), Perraud(12m), Livramento(6m) & Broja is exactly the type of business I hope we do.

The only way I want to see us spending over £20 million on a player this summer is a replacement for Youri.

Apart from that I hope Glover identifies shrewd signings, we can’t afford to keep spending 15-30 million on busted flushes, as seen with the likes of Perez, Vestergaard & Soumare.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cropwellfox said:

Can’t even make this announcement properly ourselves, admin too busy posting pictures of Perez working hard in training. 

I swear its always Perez whenever they post training pictures and videos 🤣

3 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Guess that rules out us @Ric Flair unless Martyn Glover reads the Summer 2022 priorities thread 🤷‍♂️

I hope he asserts his Southampton modelling and we look for shrewd signings. KWP(13m), Salisu(12m), Perraud(12m), Livramento(6m) & Broja is exactly the type of business I hope we do.

The only way I want to see us spending over £20 million on a player this summer is a replacement for Youri.

Apart from that I hope Glover identifies shrewd signings, we can’t afford to keep spending 15-30 million on busted flushes, as seen with the likes of Perez, Vestergaard & Soumare.

Always the bridesmaids pal

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Missed opportunity in my eyes, Where's the progression and recognition? But that said, Glover does come with a decent reputation.

With regards to Callum Smithson it could that head of recruitment isn’t quite the right role for someone like him

He is Head of Technical Scouting already which may be a lot more suited to someone like him, it focuses a lot more on actually using data, watching matches, using player reports and assessments etc.

If you see the below job spec for Head of Recruitment that Brentford have used previously there is quite a bit of focus on networking, setting strategies and things like that

Smithson may be very good at what he currently does, but Head of Recruitment is a very different role that he may not just be suited to

D030B180-9B3D-4B50-B8E7-52DA796AE106.jpeg

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Agree and disagree with this. We’re shopping in a different market to Southampton. If we want to challenge for the top 6 then the likes of KWP, Salisu and Perraud are unlikely to get us there, they’re very mid table players and wouldn’t improve our team IMO.

Although agree with the sentiment that we should be targeting young up and coming players as we have had far more success with that model, rather than “Established” players. 

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The in-house promotions are probably ok for a couple of windows, as the head of Scouting and Recruitment has probably shared a wealth of Knowledge on proposed targets and pros and cons on buying those players at said time.

But it’s an ever changing dynamic, wasn’t we still linked with players Walsh suggested long after his departure? 

2 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Looks like we’ll have to rely on my & Ric’s wish lists this summer after all :yahoo:

That is a shame

Even if he joined now though I can’t imagine it would have made much difference to this window

18 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

With regards to Callum Smithson it could that head of recruitment isn’t quite the right role for someone like him

He is Head of Technical Scouting already which may be a lot more suited to someone like him, it focuses a lot more on actually using data, watching matches, using player reports and assessments etc.

If you see the below job spec for Head of Recruitment that Brentford have used previously there is quite a bit of focus on networking, setting strategies and things like that

Smithson may be very good at what he currently does, but Head of Recruitment is a very different role that he may not just be suited to

D030B180-9B3D-4B50-B8E7-52DA796AE106.jpeg

You might be right but we've lost plenty of up and coming analysts and scouts to promotions and we seldom offer them in to the highest positions in that field.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You might be right but we've lost plenty of up and coming analysts and scouts to promotions and we seldom offer them in to the highest positions in that field.

Previously people like Wrigglesworth and Mackenzie left as we still had Walsh, Fontes made a “non-promotion” move, and like Macia I think quite a few of the scouts who left with him were very interested in that Bordeaux project (that went well)

But like Man City have just seen in losing that guy to Southampton, there isn’t always going to be a job available for them to have a promotion

I think now could have obviously been a good time to do it, maybe with Smithson (maybe he went for it, we don’t know)

I think we should’ve given it to David Mills, he is great on Football Manager lol

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Be absolute laughable if we've agreed to him not being allowed to start until September having now left Southampton, but their new man can start from Man City straight the way.

Bunch of fannies

Off the record he will be involved. He just can’t officially start until September due to gardening leave but we will be cross referencing players to see his thoughts.