Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Leicester to appoint Martyn Glover as head of senior recruitment.

11 hours ago, st albans fox said:

He understands we’re a team that wants to play with a high energy and an intensity, that wants to get through the pitch quickly. We need speed in the team and we need technicality in the team, and that shapes the recruitment.

“Wout [Faes], as an example, he’s aggressive, he’s strong, he defends well, he has personality, and he can play football, which is critical. You have to be able to take the ball and pass the ball.

“In our conversations, he understands. That’s what’s key. There has to be synergy in the recruitment otherwise you bring in players that don’t fit the style.”

so how come we brought in vestergaard?   He has no intensity or energy ! 

Panic.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

From a Telegraph article today:

Kristiansen is 20 yet already has experience of playing in the Champions League and winning titles with FC Copenhagen. A modern defender who plays on the front foot, the left-back was spotted by Leicester’s new recruitment chief Martyn Glover and his scouting team.

Glover pushed for Kristiansen to be signed after being highly impressed by the Dane’s performances against Manchester City and Borussia Dortmund in Europe.

Tete is Leicester’s first Brazilian player and a winger who will provide excitement along with goals and assists. The 22-year-old was targeted by Glover in his previous role at Southampton and he has maintained contact with Tete’s representatives.

Souttar, 24, stands at 6ft 6in and will provide the profile and height Rodgers has been targeting for his defence.

This move was rather unlike Leicester: they acted ruthlessly on the penultimate day of the window, paying the £15m asking price that Stoke wanted but leaving the Championship club surprised at the timing.

While Stoke are now clear of breaching Profitability & Sustainability (the EFL’s FFP) rules, the money will still be a huge boost for their finances. Stoke had also assured Souttar after his impressive performances at the World Cup with Australia that he could leave if a Premier League club agreed to pay the fee.

Rodgers spoke with Michael O’Neill, the former Stoke manager, and Australia’s assistant coach Rene Meulensteen and received glowing recommendations from both.

@Ric Flairas expected, you can thank the new head of recruitment for Tete.

Hang on a minute... has anyone seen Ric and Martyn Glover in the same room at the same time...? :ph34r:

Wasn’t Tete targeted by the club prior to Glover also?

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

I believe so, but as stated here, Glover had direct contacts with the player so could get the deal done faster. I wonder who else he has in his back pocket?

Yes very true. But Tete acknowledged the previous contact and interest with our club as being key also. Nonetheless, Glover was obviously important. As for further targets, I just hope they’re sorted in a timely fashion in the Summer. I imagine he has two lists , one for the Premier League and one for the Championship.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I believe so, but as stated here, Glover had direct contacts with the player so could get the deal done faster. I wonder who else he has in his back pocket?

It was the perfect combination on Tete by the sounds of it. He was a sign at all costs recommendation from our recruitment team last winter and I can't remember the timings but back then we may already have been negotiating with Glover to take over so this could have been fed in by him but likely not.

We held talks with Tete's representatives last winter too as did Glover several times so the fact both parties have coveted him and continued to do so must have been very powerful in Tete deciding Leicester was his next destination. We now need to continue that level of admiration for him to secure him for many years.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sambiasso said:

Just need to find the experience along with the youngsters with potential.

Very popular person within the club. 

Bar Jonny Evans I can't recall a single decent player over the age of 25 we've signed who's done any good for us since we won the league. I might be wrong but it's pretty damning. 

17 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Yet again people making suggestions that BR had real impact on who we went for from absolute thin air. when hes 'consistently' said he concentrates on the players he has to coach and lets the recruitment do its business. I dont  recall or had any feeling BR was the driving force for past tranfers, prove me wrong. These so called lcfc fans cant help themselves thesedays but eject hatred over nothing. We have no idea what happens behind the scenes.

Calm down Brendan 

18 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Yet again people making suggestions that BR had real impact on who we went for from absolute thin air. when hes 'consistently' said he concentrates on the players he has to coach and lets the recruitment do its business. I dont  recall or had any feeling BR was the driving force for past tranfers, prove me wrong. These so called lcfc fans cant help themselves thesedays but eject hatred over nothing. We have no idea what happens behind the scenes.

Who brought Congerton with him who was the one behind recruitment…..

• Like 1

On 02/11/2022 at 23:50, StriderHiryu said:

Well to be fair, how on earth did we think it was a good idea to sign Vestergaard? Vestergaard did have a good European Championships, but that was playing in a counter attacking team that sits back at national level, in a slower paced game. The reason why he was doomed from day one at Leicester is because we play a high line and pressing game. Faes has been great for us, but one reason is because he fits our style.

We may have been desperate to sign a replacement for Fofana last year, but that was a huge mistake by the scouting team. At least with Daka, Soumare and Lookman, the signings made sense.

It's an old post, but I want to weigh in nonetheless. I think Denmark's success at the Euros was very much in spite of Vestergaard. He was perpetually targeted by the opposition and both of Belgium's goals came from him being isolated and exposed v Lukaku as I recall. England also mainly attacked down that side with success. 

Secondly, I would not say Denmark were playing counterattacking football or sitting deep at that tournament. 

I still agree though that Vestergaard was a bad fit in hindsight. His supposed strengths (passing, set pieces, physical presence) have been glaring weaknesses.

• Like 2