Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Leicester to appoint Martyn Glover as head of senior recruitment.

5 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Can’t answer the question so resort to that?

I’ll let you off as you are just spending your whole time trolling for bites which is pretty sad….

lol.. 'Prove me wrong'....... the other guy failed to answer my question. You just spitting statements that you dont even know is true or not, wheres the facts that BR recruited him then?. Where is this information coming from? just like the previous guy. Just making this up to hate on BR.

Edited by Simoken
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Simoken said:

lol.. 'Prove me wrong'....... the other guy failed to answer my question. You just spitting statements that you dont even know is true or not, wheres the facts that BR recruited him then?. Where is this information coming from? just like the previous guy. Just making this up to hate on BR.

Whether Rodgers directly asked for them ir didn’t, he brought congerton to the club who was renowned for making bad signings at Celtic too. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Can’t answer the question so resort to that?

I’ll let you off as you are just spending your whole time trolling for bites which is pretty sad….

Yeah because 'calm down Brendan' was such an on-point and well-made counter-argument wasn't it lollollol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Oh ok, came into Martyn Glover thread so assumed we were dealing with contemporary times.

Oh no, I was purely referring to pre-Glover. Think someone was trying to say recruitment had had nothing to do with Rodgers but even the most hardened BR fan boy surely can see that Congerton was brought in at his request and nothing good came from that time!

Glover seems like a good addition. Liking what he’s doing so far.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Bar Jonny Evans I can't recall a single decent player over the age of 25 we've signed who's done any good for us since we won the league. I might be wrong but it's pretty damning. 

I, for one, appreciated the laid-back continental class that Vicente Iborra brought to the squad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Bar Jonny Evans I can't recall a single decent player over the age of 25 we've signed who's done any good for us since we won the league. I might be wrong but it's pretty damning. 

I don't know what to read into that really. Is it a trend and an issue or is it coincidental and a bit light on the sample size?

I find it slightly arbitrary to put a criteria at 25 years of age - is this because it is considered prime age for a footballer? I feel this is highly dependent on the individual player.

If you had said 24+ then Souttar, Faes, Ricardo, Castagne, Ghezzal and Mendy would be included which changes the picture a bit.

Just for fun, I had a look and compiled the first team signings below with your criteria:

22/23 (4 transfers, 1 loan):

Smithies (32)

21/22 (4 transfers, 1 loan):

Vestergaard (29)

Bertrand (31)

20/21 (2 transfers, 1 loan):

-

19/20 (4 transfers, 1 loan):

Perez (25)

Praet (25)

Bennett (29, loan)

18/19 (7 transfers, 1 loan):

Ward (25)

Evans (30)

17/18 (6 transfers, 1 loan):

Silva (28)

Iborra (29)

Dragovic (26, loan)

Jakupovic (32)

16/17 (7 transfers, 1 loan):

Slimani (28)

Zieler (27)

Hernandez (27)

Wague (25)

Bar the two seasons after the league win, we've only signed 7 players (+1 loan) in the last 5 seasons that were 25+ out of 21 players (+5 loans) total.

And if you disregard the 25 year olds, it's only Evans, Bennett, Bertrand, Vestergaard and Smithies that have joined.

In conclusion, the sample size is maybe a bit small and players like Bennett, Smithies, Bertrand, Vestergaard and Ward (until this season) were really only ever earmarked as backup players. It's also interesting to see the clear shift in transfer targets after 17/18.

1 minute ago, shen said:

I don't know what to read into that really. Is it a trend and an issue or is it coincidental and a bit light on the sample size?

I find it slightly arbitrary to put a criteria at 25 years of age - is this because it is considered prime age for a footballer? I feel this is highly dependent on the individual player.

If you had said 24+ then Souttar, Faes, Ricardo, Castagne, Ghezzal and Mendy would be included which changes the picture a bit.

Just for fun, I had a look and compiled the first team signings below with your criteria:

22/23 (4 transfers, 1 loan):

Smithies (32)

21/22 (4 transfers, 1 loan):

Vestergaard (29)

Bertrand (31)

20/21 (2 transfers, 1 loan):

-

19/20 (4 transfers, 1 loan):

Perez (25)

Praet (25)

Bennett (29, loan)

18/19 (7 transfers, 1 loan):

Ward (25)

Evans (30)

17/18 (6 transfers, 1 loan):

Silva (28)

Iborra (29)

Dragovic (26, loan)

Jakupovic (32)

16/17 (7 transfers, 1 loan):

Slimani (28)

Zieler (27)

Hernandez (27)

Wague (25)

Bar the two seasons after the league win, we've only signed 7 players (+1 loan) in the last 5 seasons that were 25+ out of 21 players (+5 loans) total.

And if you disregard the 25 year olds, it's only Evans, Bennett, Bertrand, Vestergaard and Smithies that have joined.

In conclusion, the sample size is maybe a bit small and players like Bennett, Smithies, Bertrand, Vestergaard and Ward (until this season) were really only ever earmarked as backup players. It's also interesting to see the clear shift in transfer targets after 17/18.

Yeah sample size is definitely smaller but we really haven't done well with such players and can see why there's a nervousness to do so. Especially if paying decent money for them because if it doesn't work then it really can be disastrous as we have seen with a fair few of them.

I'm of the opinion if we can add the odd shrewd purchase of an experienced player either on a free or for a knock down fee then it's something very much to consider but I'd expect experience to be gained by those that have been here several years already and have actually achieved success here, which should count for far more than some of the perceived experienced and PL proven players we've gone for in the past that have failed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Simoken said:

It annoys me so much that anything bad that happens the club does is Brendan fault,

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lanefox said:

It annoys me so much that anything bad that happens the club does is Brendan fault,

Precisely why I defend him so much. Best manager we’ve had in a long time and gets harshly criticised at times for shit that ain’t in his control. Guarantee someone will jump on this comment and criticise as per usual cause I’m pro BR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah sample size is definitely smaller but we really haven't done well with such players and can see why there's a nervousness to do so. Especially if paying decent money for them because if it doesn't work then it really can be disastrous as we have seen with a fair few of them.

I'm of the opinion if we can add the odd shrewd purchase of an experienced player either on a free or for a knock down fee then it's something very much to consider but I'd expect experience to be gained by those that have been here several years already and have actually achieved success here, which should count for far more than some of the perceived experienced and PL proven players we've gone for in the past that have failed.

That list is shocking, yet it's something Pearson, Shaky and Walsh got right so many times. Morgan, Huth, Wasyl, Simpson, Cambiasso, Phillips, Powell, Berner, Solano, Hammond, GTF mostly free transfers and all a success to a degree

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

That list is shocking, yet it's something Pearson, Shaky and Walsh got right so many times. Morgan, Huth, Wasyl, Simpson, Cambiasso, Phillips, Powell, Berner, Solano, Hammond, GTF mostly free transfers and all a success to a degree

Would have been interesting to see how that list would have progressed if that trio had stayed longer as we became established. The last name that you have missed off the list (probably because he never played under him) was Fuchs so yeah that record carried on to the end!

11 hours ago, Jordan said:

I, for one, appreciated the laid-back continental class that Vicente Iborra brought to the squad.

I remember thinking if you stuck him in the Barcelona side and told someone who'd never watched football pick out the player who actually isn't a Barcelona player and played for Leicester, they wouldn't have picked him. He was a Rolls-Royce of a player in terms of ball retention and moving it.

In fact, Brendan would probably love him but he wasn't suited to the harum-scarum nature of the Premier League at the time. 

Edited by Collymore