Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

11 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Last time a team stayed up on goal difference in the premier league was 2008, it just doesn't really happen.

It can happen. I read it somewhere that such a scenario happened back in 2008. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, melvinmmelvin said:

And Newcastle now needing a point on Monday for top 4  - 'ass' and 'pain' spring to mind...

Newcastle don't need a point. The need to lose 0-1 against us and have a good deal regarding Madders. Win/Win. If Liverpool manage a 7 or 8-0 win vs Southampton everyone is in trouble and under investigation. PL risked the integrity of their league. 

Newcastle are not guaranteed to beat us, they need a result which means they can feel the pressure and bottle it.

They failed to beat Leeds, Southampton were leading at HT and Everton were better side against them in the 1st half all in their last 5 matches - If our players actually show effort then we can give Newcastle a game and take something from them.

Those who think we are guaranteed to lose at Newcastle are those same people who are correctly asking about the players effort & work rate - if we are guaranteed to lose against Newcastle why do you think the players work rate and effort would improve so we would get 3 points against West Ham?? We have to see improvement and if we do we can get something from both matches and if we don't then it really does not matter what other teams are doing

Edited by beepee1984

The only upside is, as someone else pointed out, I'd have taken an Everton draw at 3pm. Likewise, I'd take a Leeds draw right now too. Which, theoretically, leaves us needing a win last day without needing a draw at Newcastle. 

The only other slither is, if, say Everton are 1-0 up v Bournemouth with 15 to play, needing only a draw, they will close up as they have a cushion. But could prove disatrous if Bournemouth do equalise late with say, 10 mins of added time. Them needing a win might mean that they are never comfortable at 1-0 and go for a second. 

This, I accept, is herculean straw clutching 

5 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I know crazy results happen but no one can truly believe our defence keeps out Newcastle or beats West Ham. They’ve buckled every year whenever they’ve heard a roar. Who in our midfield takes control ? We don’t have it in us. I am so sure of it that if we take even 4 points from our remaining games, I will happily buy a Forest shirt. 

It’s over. It was over 3 weeks ago.

You said it yourself… crazy results happen.. No one in their right mind would think we are better than Newcastle or have a better team or play better…. But we have to have the same logic a non league team has against a prem team in the FA cup….. crazy results happen!

9 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

It doesn’t? Everton have 33 points…. Football can throw surprises up from time to time, and if we do beat Newcastle and Leeds don’t beat West Ham, then on goal difference we will be out of the bottom three….

Which means Everton will have to better our result come the last game of the season to stay up. 

Even if they had lost it wouldn’t have changed what we need to do on Monday…… the aim of our game is to try and creep out of the borrow three by next weekend. 

If you can't comprehend why Everton turning 0 points at 98 mins into 1 point at 99 mons makes relegation statistically more likely then not much I can say.

Again, it puts much more stock on actually getting a result at Newcastle so that Everton need to win on the final day to be sure of survival rather than just a point.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

I can very much see us beating West Ham. I'd even make us marginal favourites, especially given none of their players are gonna want to get hurt before a cup final. 

That would put us on 33. I don’t see it. West Ham will score. We will make at least one heartbreaking mistakes. But even if we do, Everton will not lose at home to already safe Bournemouth. They might be push to a draw but that takes them to 34. I might sound incredibly negative but I’m just being realistic. Even if we get the “boys tried and just fell short” media posts after West Ham. The Newcastle defeat will do us. 

5 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

Would have taken Everton drawing before that kicked off. We can still finish above them on GD if they lose next week and we beat West Ham.

Nope, I'd take a coin flip on a winner or loser of that match if I had the option. 

That's a great result for Everton in the context of finishing above us, it now means we either need 4pts from our two games or Everton to lose.

Up until the last minute then we needed to beat West Ham which would force them to beat Bournemouth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

I’ll reiterate, don’t do it to yourselves. It’s over. Been over for a long time. 

Curious as to when it was over as you say?

Just now, Finnegan said:

I can very much see us beating West Ham. I'd even make us marginal favourites, especially given none of their players are gonna want to get hurt before a cup final. 

I think we win that too. Everyones talking about West Ham like they are frikin Inter or something. 

1 minute ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Newcastle don't need a point. The need to lose 0-1 against us and have a good deal regarding Madders. Win/Win. If Liverpool manage a 7 or 8-0 win vs Southampton everyone is in trouble and under investigation. PL risked the integrity of their league. 

Are you saying Newcastle would fix the match to get first dibs on James Maddison?

Read some whacky shit on here man but come on.

Guest Col city fan

Have I missed something here but Everton getting that point means we are as good as down doesn’t it?

We ain’t getting nowt at Newcastle and Everton will beat Bournemouth on the last day.

It looks good as over