Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think liverpool would rather make CL …..

5 minutes ago, Mark_w said:

Think the vast majority of them would rather relegate us, don't blame them.

Just 5 minutes of hope / dreaming is all I ask for 😂

34 minutes ago, Sly said:

If we get out of this, I’d it the great great escape? 

I'd considered this and whilst technically yes it would be better than the great escape, I took pride from our original great escape, we were a newly promoted team, it was expected but they found fight, desire to keep us up, I'd take no pride whatsoever from this bullshit - albeit relived and happy we've stayed up, i'd still be desperately glad to see the back of this unlikeable bunch of ***** we have playing for us.

Edited by Matt

16 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Look at you guys all running scared of relegation. Some of you lot have swallowed the ‘Premier League’ pill hard. 

I’ve always watched loads of Leicester. This season I’ve also watched loads of Gillingham and Maidstone United 

Perspective is a super thing. I have it. 80% of you lot. I don’t say that negatively. Try it. Please. 

“Perspective” should include the fact that this club has been managed as if it could never be relegated.

And so most of our parachute payments already belong to Macquarie Bank. And after being stripped, our remaining players under contract (Ward, Vestergaard, et al) already add up to a high-end Championship wage bill, for guys who will be useless and/or injury risks. There won’t be much left for promising talent under cost control rules.

Those of you who think this relegation will be a quick and pleasant detour through Preston and Hull are choosing to ignore the financial realities.

Under these constraints, it will be difficult to assemble a squad that can compete for 46 games of Championship rough and tumble. Much less come right back up.

Burnley managed it via the miracle appointment of a gaffer who supercharged their recruitment as well as their play. Does anybody think that Swansea guy will do that for us? I can’t believe Potter will drop to this division.

• Like 2

Just now, Matt said:

I'd considered this and whilst technically yes it would be better than the great escape, I took pride from our original great escape, we were a newly promoted team, it was expected but they found fight, desire to keep us up, I'd take no pride whatsoever from this bullshit - albeit relived and happy we've stayed up, i'd still be desperately glad to see the back of this unlikely bunch of ***** we have playing for us.

Same here tbh.

If we somehow shithoused survival from here, I would be very concerned that it'd be used to paper over the cracks and painted as some massive achievement to pretend all is well.

However this season ends, it has been a disgrace considering the personnel and resources available to the club compared to what we had in 2014-2015. Our wage bill, training ground, Rodgers' wages and squad point to a side that should be about where Brighton are, not 9 points behind Bournemouth. 

If we stay up this season, then the lessons won't be learned and we'll go down next season instead. 

• Like 3

Rudkin: So Jurgen, let us have the 3 points and we'll let you have one of our best players cheap in the summer

Klopp: But all of your players are either incompetent, out of contact or both.

Rudkin: Err...

31 minutes ago, Sly said:

If we get out of this, I’d it the great great escape? 

I think to qualify as a great escape, you have to still be in danger on the final day. In 2014/15 we were actually mathematically safe going in to the last match of the season. In my opinion, the greatest of the great escapes was probably West Brom in 2004/05 when they were bottom going into the last match, won it and stayed up.

3 minutes ago, KingsX said:

And so most of our parachute payments already belong to Macquarie Bank. 

Not really true though is it, they belong to us in the form of cash advancement with a small amount in interest to the bank. Not saying they haven't but it doesn't mean we've spent it all!

7 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Same here tbh.

If we somehow shithoused survival from here, I would be very concerned that it'd be used to paper over the cracks and painted as some massive achievement to pretend all is well.

However this season ends, it has been a disgrace considering the personnel and resources available to the club compared to what we had in 2014-2015. Our wage bill, training ground, Rodgers' wages and squad point to a side that should be about where Brighton are, not 9 points behind Bournemouth. 

If we stay up this season, then the lessons won't be learned and we'll go down next season instead. 

Agreed

Should we survive this season, it’ll be very much like the season before we did get relegated to League 1. 

It’ll just be a delay on the inevitable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bilo said:

He's right though.

Our luck that season was absolutely abhorrent and we gave pretty much everyone we played a damned good game. The reaction we were getting every week was 'how the hell are you bottom playing like that?'

We just didn't get the rub of the green and therefore couldn't build up any momentum. When we finally bagged a win against West Ham, we were pretty much an unstoppable force.

This season isn't that. We've been second best by a distance most weeks and have shipped an absurd number of points to teams around us.

This is revisionism.

We gave the top teams a good game and narrowly lost. However we were generally very poor against the lesser sides, even in some of the games we won like Hull away when they could have 5 and Mahrez scored on the break.

If you look through the fixtures it will jog your memory. West Ham away, Villa away cup and league, both Hull games, QPR away, Stoke at home, West Brom at home, Sunderland at home, Palace both games, Swansea away, Newcastle away, Southampton away.

We were poor to awful in all these games, tending to play very negatively with Vardy out wide and only coming out of our shells when behind. We raised our game against the top sides but were tactically poor and deserved to be bottom until we threw caution to the wind in the last 10 games.

Looking forward to Arsenal Brighton. 

I’ve really had to cling on to these games that mean nothing to us in recent weeks, because it’s too stressful watching the rest to be able to enjoy! lol 

West Ham result is interesting, provided we beat Liverpool we can still catch them and they'll be motivated to beat Leeds to avoid a last day winner takes all (potentially of course!).

3 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I’ve really had to cling on to these games that mean nothing to us in recent weeks, because it’s too stressful watching the rest to be able to enjoy! lol 

Tbf it's not totally irrelevant to us. If Arsenal win there, they're still in the title race and have Forest next after that. If they go there with a chance of lifting the title, they'll tear Forest to shreds. 

5 minutes ago, Tuna said:

West Ham result is interesting, provided we beat Liverpool we can still catch them and they'll be motivated to beat Leeds to avoid a last day winner takes all (potentially of course!).

this is what i was saying earlier.  If they ended up going down after fielding a weakened side today their fans would be absolutely livid. 

Im shocked they’ve been that complacent tbh. yes they are 95% done but you should never gamble on that 5%. 

A leeds win and somehow we scrape a win and a draw in the next 2 and they are in an all or nothing situation when in reality they should have been in the clear now 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

Some guy on Facebook still thinks the players have what it takes, maybe I'm getting too old but lol even if we somehow managed to get something into Liverpools half time drinks and won we'd still botch the rest up.

11 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

this is what i was saying earlier.  If they ended up going down after fielding a weakened side today their fans would be absolutely livid. 

Im shocked they’ve been that complacent tbh. yes they are 95% done but you should never gamble on that 5%. 

A leeds win and somehow we scrape a win and a draw in the next 2 and they are in an all or nothing situation when in reality they should have been in the clear now 

Think it's more like 99%+. Leeds would have to win both remaining games, and handsomely to catch them. Everton would have to win both theirs too. Forest would have to take 4 points from their games. Just not happening, they're safe.

33 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Agreed

Should we survive this season, it’ll be very much like the season before we did get relegated to League 1. 

I don't think we would. We'd rebuild and have a solid starting XI. Mid table. Next season cannot be this bad as there's no Brendan for 80% of it!

40 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Agreed

Everything will depend on how Top approaches next season. It seams the management team just wanted to get through this season, which has turned out to be a very dangerous approach. They know they have messed up, and i cant believe for one moment that they would approach next season the same. I think wholesale changes were planned.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AjcW said:

It's why I don't really watch the Premier League. 

I've watched significantly more Serie A this season than Premier League. 

It's easy, too, BT show a LOT of it. Possibly more or as much as BT and Sky combined show Prem? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

It's why I don't really watch the Premier League. 

I've watched significantly more Serie A this season than Premier League. 

It's easy, too, BT show a LOT of it. Possibly more or as much as BT and Sky combined show Prem? 

All I hear is Italian football is slow, defensive, boing, but from what i've seen its far from it and the former could be said about the Premier League in the most part over Serie A.

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

All I hear is Italian football is slow, defensive, boing, but from what i've seen its far from it and the former could be said about the Premier League in the most part over Serie A.

Serie A hasn't been a slow, defensive league for a decade or more tbh. 

Napoli have been one of the most exciting teams in Europe to watch, not just this year, but probably for the last five or six? Inter and Milan both play some terrific counter attacking football, so do Lazio. 

The quality isn't as universally high, there's more of a drop off after the top 6 or 7 compared to the Prem so it's not quite as competitive. But the entertainment can be terrific. 

• Like 1