Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

8 minutes ago, stu said:

Poor? Surely that makes it even more remarkable what we achieved?

What we achieved was undoubtedly remarkable. Achieved predominantly by way of an excellent strategy of good scouting with high player sales. At some point this club shouldn’t have gone for Bennett, Vestegaard or Bertrand on the cheap and properly invested - that’s all I’m saying. I think our risks were taken in the wrong areas

Edited by Mickyblueeyes
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Fox 4 Life said:

They have 85 points, one bad game, how are Forest, who have won 2 in 15 going to beat them easily. 

Well obviously Arsenal have the better team and players but they're struggling now. and Forest have something to play for and are half decent at home and Arsenal will be feeling totally deflated after losing such a big lead.

Edit

Gunners have only won 2️⃣ of the last 7️⃣ games in Premier League, not enough as Man City are flying.
Arsenal have also conceded 15 goals in last 7 games
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Brighton haven’t achieved anything yet.

They are a southern club so will naturally get more praise than us. 

They can take the praise…We still have the romance of a title, and a Corona breaking F.A.cup…We have had 60yrs of the occasional bloody praise….

Brighton,Brentford,Fulham have done well,nic to see them prod eyes out with their stick…But not yet turned that feel good to that WoW factor…

Its stillshows how difficult it is,with a good but moderate budget to break that top6.

Also shows ,how good a go we gave it,with teams like Everton,W.Ham ,Wolves spending big. Southampton. A.Villa stuttering,

North London clubs not even a fizzle…

We grabbed that moment,but the believed Entrenched Hero Ranieri,also destroyed our strong platform.Puel tried and stopped the fall ,. Only to fall off on the field.

Rodgers had it,but just wanted to carry on insistently his experiments, with little space for flexability…

Though we irritated for 6 seasons, we still didn’t break the fortress.

So called bottlers,Spurs & Arsenal still buzzing around the honey pot..

Arsenal should still go and win at Forest. They've won two out of 15, and one of those was squeaking through with their backs to the wall against an awful Southampton side.

57 minutes ago, davieG said:

Well obviously Arsenal have the better team and players but they're struggling now. and Forest have something to play for and are half decent at home and Arsenal will be feeling totally deflated after losing such a big lead.

29 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I would say I'm jealous of Brighton but we know from our own experience what's coming for them. Their best players will be poached by the 'rich 6' (now the 'rich 7'). They'll find it harder and harder to replace them. Eventually they'll get fed up of selling their best players and sign them to expensive contract extensions that they can't really afford. It's unsustainable. Hopefully they can win a cup or two and have some European adventures before they fall away. And hopefully their fall won't be as hard, quick, or as brutal as ours. But it is inevitable. 

Feel awful for saying it but I hope it does happen to them. Nothing against Brighton, but it hurts seeing other clubs take up our mantle as the great well run overachievers. Sorry 😖

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Corky said:

The Arsenal fans streaming out at 2-0 with a fair amount of time to play annoyed me more than it should. I understand ours leaving after another gutless display under Rodgers but Arsenal have given their fans a great season and deserved better than to look around at a bigger version of St Mary's yesterday at full time.

Worst fans in the PL by a mile the 'Gooners' 

However will temper that, they must be so disappointed to have thrown away the title, it must be so hard to take. Imagine how wed have felt finishing 2nd in 2016. They won't have another chance like this for years. 

Edited by Arriba Los Zorros
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I would say I'm jealous of Brighton but we know from our own experience what's coming for them. Their best players will be poached by the 'rich 6' (now the 'rich 7'). They'll find it harder and harder to replace them. Eventually they'll get fed up of selling their best players and sign them to expensive contract extensions that they can't really afford. It's unsustainable. Hopefully they can win a cup or two and have some European adventures before they fall away. And hopefully their fall won't be as hard, quick, or as brutal as ours. But it is inevitable. 

You've genuinely hit the nail on the head perfectly.

That's the cycle of teams our size being successful, it's either the above or they don't have the funds to continue and their squad runs out of steam and end up in a relegation battle.

It's thoroughly depressing, Brighton will hit a ceiling where they can't sustain what the players want to be payed, whilst replacing a big player or two every year. This'll only be hardened by Newcastle now having money to burn.

We saw it last year with Wood moving from Burnley. Why play for Brighton for £60/80k a week, when Newcastle will pay another 20/30k a week on top.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Calvert-Lewin was withdrawn at half-time because he apparently felt a ‘tightness’ in his groin. Apparently the last time he was taken off with a tight muscle he didn’t play again for 10 weeks…

He's busted, and will never stay fit enough to be reliable. A shame as he's a good player. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Worst fans in the PL by a mile the 'Gooners' 

However will temper that, they must be so disappointed to have thrown away the title, it must be so hard to take. Imagine how wed have felt finishing 2nd in 2016. They won't have another chance like this for years. 

It will be a very Pyrrhic first St. Totteringham's day since 2016 for them. :ph34r:

EDIT - oh wait, that's long gone. Holy moley, Spurs are shite this year aren't they? lol

Edited by OntarioFox

34 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

You've genuinely hit the nail on the head perfectly.

That's the cycle of teams our size being successful, it's either the above or they don't have the funds to continue and their squad runs out of steam and end up in a relegation battle.

It's thoroughly depressing, Brighton will hit a ceiling where they can't sustain what the players want to be payed, whilst replacing a big player or two every year. This'll only be hardened by Newcastle now having money to burn.

We saw it last year with Wood moving from Burnley. Why play for Brighton for £60/80k a week, when Newcastle will pay another 20/30k a week on top.

Not sure if money has ruined it all, or if it was always pretty much the same. The big clubs have pretty much always been the big clubs. They change a bit over time, but the core of Man Utd, Liverpool. Arsenal etc are always there. 

Everyone else picks over the bones. 

11 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Calvert-Lewin was withdrawn at half-time because he apparently felt a ‘tightness’ in his groin. Apparently the last time he was taken off with a tight muscle he didn’t play again for 10 weeks…

He wouldn’t have played during that 10 weeks as he tried to get himself mentally right and also remove the physical issue he had. Often the mental one is more tricky as feel that you cannot trust your body  

this is quite different now and I reckon he plays at wolves - they can’t risk losing there and only getting to 35 points 

Like most on here my initial reaction to the Arsenal result was that it was a big plus for Notts Forest ahead of their game. However having thought about it, with the way the fixtures are scheduled Arsenal now absolutely have to win that game. Admittedly the chance of them winning the league is extremely slim, but they have to win to keep in the race especially with Man City playing on the Sunday. I think Arteta's the type of coach that'll expect his team to keep going until it's actually over especially with the remaining fixtures that Man City have to play. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

Like most on here my initial reaction to the Arsenal result was that it was a big plus for Notts Forest ahead of their game. However having thought about it, with the way the fixtures are scheduled Arsenal now absolutely have to win that game. Admittedly the chance of them winning the league is extremely slim, but they have to win to keep in the race especially with Man City playing on the Sunday. I think Arteta's the type of coach that'll expect his team to keep going until it's actually over especially with the remaining fixtures that Man City have to play. 

I agree, the fact they play before Man City play again is a massive bonus. 
If you’re an Arsenal player/coach you’d have to be thinking Man City still have to win at Brentford and Brighton - not the easiest places to go to.

They have to make sure they get six points on the board.

For us, I’m still going with the optimism route. 9 games left that will have an affect on us, of those only 3 do we have any say in.

The other six only Everton are playing games against teams with nothing to play for. 
IF, and it’s a big IF, we can get to the final day within three points of Leeds, Forest and Everton, I am confident we will do it.

Ideally, we will be above Leeds and need a win at home to West Ham and Everton or Forest to not win. 
We've got to keep the faith! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Should all players be treated the same or do some require more protection ?

https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1657785335974166529

What the article should say is at some point Saka is going to need to evolve his game to deal with defenders who are bigger and stronger and try and shut him out of the game.

No player should be getting any special treatment, the great players become the great players because they adjust to their surroundings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I'd back Brighton to stay around for the European places for a while yet. Reason being is they are backed by a billion pound sports betting hedge fund - their job is to know more about football than anyone else and have been doing so for twenty years. They can give Brighton all the info on recruitment. We had Steve Walsh and a few guys that know their way round a laptop. Their chairman is very switched on, I can't see him letting things slip the way Top et al have. 

Still, I bet they won't win a league title. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Poznan34 said:

I'd back Brighton to stay around for the European places for a while yet. Reason being is they are backed by a billion pound sports betting hedge fund - their job is to know more about football than anyone else and have been doing so for twenty years. They can give Brighton all the info on recruitment. We had Steve Walsh and a few guys that know their way round a laptop. Their chairman is very switched on, I can't see him letting things slip the way Top et al have. 

Still, I bet they won't win a league title. :thumbup:

They could well hang around the top 6 longer than we did. But no system or set of algorithms is bulletproof though. It will only take one bad transfer window for it all to start to unravel.