Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

33 points has a reasonably high chance of safety for us. Weeks ago I said this, forget Everton, they probably were always going to get safe after we left them off the hook. 

But Forest's last two games against Arsenal and Palace away are extremely hard for them. 

West Ham at home is more winnable for us than either of those games are for Forest and Leeds have West Ham and Tottenham. 

Obviously all of those games are winnable for all of those teams. It's the Premier League, everyone can beat everyone that's why it's entertaining. 

But talking about what's LIKELY? We're nowhere near as "down" as people have been making out for the last couple weeks. 

Obviously if Arsenal bottle this then it's over but until then 🤷

Forest have 34 already ……

I just can't be arsed. I'd love it if it happens, but LCFC have broken my spirit at this point.

I can't wait for the squad clear-out, whatever division we find ourselves in.

Just now, Finnegan said:

33 points has a reasonably high chance of safety for us. Weeks ago I said this, forget Everton, they probably were always going to get sage after we left them off the hook. 

But Forest's last two games against Arsenal and Palace away are extremely hard for them. 

West Ham at home is more winnable for us than either of those games are for Forest and Leeds have West Ham and Tottenham. 

Obviously all of those games are winnable for all of those teams. It's the Premier League, everyone can beat everyone that's why it's entertaining. 

But talking about what's LIKELY? We're nowhere near as "down" as people have been making out for the last couple weeks. 

Yeah but if you think 33 is safe and are letting Everton off the hook by virtue they’ll get more, that means we need more than 33 points to stay up?

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

33 points has a reasonably high chance of safety for us. Weeks ago I said this, forget Everton, they probably were always going to get safe after we left them off the hook. 

Forest are on 34. We beat West Ham puts us on 33. We are asking a group of players who prone to bottle and lacking desire (not effort) to pull off a draw at one of the PLs hardest places with free scoring strikers. That is highly unlikely. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Forest are on 34. We beat West Ham puts us on 33. We are asking a group of players who prone to bottle and lacking desire (not effort) to pull off a draw at one of the PLs hardest places with free scoring strikers. That is highly unlikely. 

Yes ignore me. I completely forgot Forest drew with Chelsea. 

Getting wins out of nowhere isnt against the realms of possibly. In our great escape season, Newcastle had one point from their previous 10 matches before the last game and were absolutely awful under John bloody Carver and they needed to beat West Ham to guarantee safety on tbe last day which they did out of nowhere. 

34 minutes ago, shailen said:

That goal changes nothing for us. We need to win on Monday and match Everton's result next week. It would have been the same even if they lost. 

In terms of maths and logic, you're correct but it will give them a psychological advantage. That might be big. Especially as it was so last minute. 

I so what Everton to go down. I don't know why. Haha 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, shailen said:

Do you really think two draws would have kept us up? The key was that Everton didn't win as it would certainly have taken two wins to stay up and that's before we consider what Leeds may do tomorrow. 

Realistically it was always going to take 2 wins to stay up! 

no-ones saying that. so, imagine Leeds draw both their remaining games, we lose v Newcastle and beat West ham, Everton draw v Bournemouth. who stays up? who would have stayed up if wolves had won today 

If everyone thinks the West Ham game will be so easy, don't you think Leeds will beat them tomorrow - add in the fact that they have just had an emotional week.

And Everyone is certain we can't get anything from Newcastle, the Everton point is not important as we won't be able to catch Leeds.

We started the weekend knowing we need to get something from both matches - nothing has changed, before the weekend I think many of us thought Everton could beat Wolves and really leave us in (even more serious) trouble.

Just now, fox_favourite said:

In terms of maths and logic, you're correct but it will give them a psychological advantage. That might be big. 

Only if we lose to Newcastle. On Tuesday morning we will be able to say what we need, but until then, there’s still a game to be played. And this club has produced the ridiculous before, no matter how shit we’ve been, we’ve got a big result in us. If it’s saved for Monday then I’m all for it. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Doctor said:

no-ones saying that. so, imagine Leeds draw both their remaining games, we lose v Newcastle and beat West ham, Everton draw v Bournemouth. who stays up? who would have stayed up if wolves had won today 

This x 10, any other logic is completely flawed 

6 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I hope not. We need it in our hands we’d be the biggest fools in the game if we settled for a point imo 

A point is a great result at Newcastle assuming Forest lose today and Leeds don't win tomorrow.

We no longer have the luxury to demand it's in our hands on the final day. I'd take a situation that we need to win forcing Everton and Leeds needing a win and Forest needing a point to finish above us when we can afford one of them doing that.

A point might not be good enough at Newcastle after the weekend is over but I'd certainly take it now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nalis said:

The vast majority of us have an emotional connection to the club so we cant help it. Most of know we are almost definitely doomed but despite logic when there is a mathematical chance there is still hope albeit small.

You know enough about this team/regime to know that when we’re on the edge we invariably always shit the bed. 

13 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

But, like I’ve said….. if you entertain for a second that Leeds can drop points too… draw or lose. That puts Leeds on 31 or 32 points and Everton on 33.

Again, theoretically if we produce a shock result and beat Newcastle that puts us on 33, with a far superior goal difference we go above Everton and out of the bottom three… then we go into the last game of the season out of the bottom three, and a win keeps us safe. So I do not know why you keep babbling on about Everton needing just a point to be safe…. That will be the case if we lose to Newcastle, on Monday, which is on Monday, today is Saturday which is before Monday and not after Monday, so as things stand, on this very Saturday Everton will need more than this one magical point you keep referring too. If on Monday, we’ve lost, then yes, Everton will only need a point to stay up. 

I was going to mention that your whole argument is predicated on a win v Newcastle, in which case yes the last minute goal at Wolves today was inconsequential, but then I got to your last sentence and saw the penny has finally dropped.

if on Monday we've lost and Everton hadn't nicked that equaliser today, then Everton would not be safe with a point on the final day.

Ergo, statistically that equaliser makes us more likely to drop, and maths could be used to back it up. Which was the whole point you were trying to contest.

Anyway, enough now.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

There is a huge step from parking on a yellow line to fixing football matches 

please don’t spend your life diving down rabbit holes…… it’s too short as it is 

A certain footballer got a ban for betting, dozens are certainly "using" relatives for betting purposes and you're telling me about parking yellow lines? Ignorance and innocence is bliss. 

Guest bennytwohats
15 minutes ago, shailen said:

That's not the point I'm making. Our approach should have been always to win both games regardless of what happened elsewhere and barring Leeds winning tomorrow, a win on Monday and it's in our own hands. 

Of course the goal makes a difference to our chances, but assuming Leeds don't win tomorrow it's still in our own hands! 

Well, respectfully, the comment you made was ‘the goal changes nothing for us’. That’s what I’ve disagreed with.

Agree with the rest but I just can’t see us getting anything at Newcastle, it’s too big an ask and we’ve been so bad. 

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yes ignore me. I completely forgot Forest drew with Chelsea. 

lol honestly, if you told me 2 games to go and the team sat in 17th had just lost their striker and we had two games left, I would say you were mad if you still didn’t have belief. My problem is we will line up with Tielemans and Soumare. Be passive and lose both. 

• Like 1