Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

2 minutes ago, Bilo said:

They remind me a bit of Holloway's Blackpool. Very attacking, lots of pace, playing without fear but little in the way of real quality. They'll punish a few teams who underestimate them, especially at home, but will have to take a few heavy defeats. If Forest are sensible, they don't sack Cooper even if they go straight back down. 

Cooper is definitely one I'd be looking to if Rodgers continues his decline this season. We're not gonna be able to sign a ready made top class manager, but we can sign one that's on their way up, there's a few in the UK and then obviously @Ric Flair has his sexy list of young European managers on the way up.

Will be interesting to see how they operate, I feel like we'll be seeing a few greeks signed for them this season. Seems to be the way, foriegn owners/managers seem to want to sign players from their own country if they can.

I can't get over the fact that the forest chairman looks like Borat's manager as well.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Cooper is definitely one I'd be looking to if Rodgers continues his decline this season. We're not gonna be able to sign a ready made top class manager, but we can sign one that's on their way up, there's a few in the UK and then obviously @Ric Flair has his sexy list of young European managers on the way up.

Will be interesting to see how they operate, I feel like we'll be seeing a few greeks signed for them this season. Seems to be the way, foriegn owners/managers seem to want to sign players from their own country if they can.

I can't get over the fact that the forest chairman looks like Borat's manager as well.

Yeah, he wouldn't be a bad shout if Forest do a respectable job of their first season in the Prem. Question is whether he can do it at this level; he's certainly earned his shot, but so did Billy Davies and Neil Warnock and they never looked like Premier League managers. 

It'll be interesting to see how a Greek influx would do for them, but l wouldn't be optimistic. Even Olympiacos, Marinakis' other team who dominate Greek football, are well off the pace in Europe and the Greek national side is pretty dire. 

22 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Yeah, he wouldn't be a bad shout if Forest do a respectable job of their first season in the Prem. Question is whether he can do it at this level; he's certainly earned his shot, but so did Billy Davies and Neil Warnock and they never looked like Premier League managers. 

It'll be interesting to see how a Greek influx would do for them, but l wouldn't be optimistic. Even Olympiacos, Marinakis' other team who dominate Greek football, are well off the pace in Europe and the Greek national side is pretty dire. 

Agreed, plenty have looked capable in tier 2/3 and then just can't translate it to the bigger leagues. Based on Joe Worral's post match interview and the fact he won the u17 world cup, I'm going to guess his man management is absolutely top notch. Half the battle is making your players believe they can achieve things (take note Brendan)

A greek influx would be a terrible idea, for their sake they need a strong DOF who will say no to stupid signings otherwise they'll very quickly be back battling relagation in the league below.

Whilst i agree with the comments directly above in that Cooper has done a great job getting them into the Premiership, & well done them, i don't think the bounce will last long.

3 of their best 4 players were there on loan Spence, Garner & Zinckernagel so unless they are brought will require replacing, leaving Johnson as the star man but really don't think he will be there much longer.

They have a few steady eddies in Mighton, McKenna, Worrall & Yates but if you take those 4 (loans + Johnson) out of that PO winning team i can see trouble ahead.

They have a few up & comers in Braian Ojeda, Loic Mbe Soh & Joao Carvalho but they have played less than 8 championship games between them so tall order to come in at their ages & hold a team in the Premiership.

Out of the 3 promoted these will struggle the most i feel.

• Like 1

I understand why you fans living near Forest fans are obsessed with their promotion added to the cup loss to them. Living down south I've never met a Forest fan. Used to having a plethora of fans of London clubs plus the usual Man U and Liverpool glory hunters. As a result hurt just runs off my shoulders as the song says. Let's enjoy the break and recharge for the new season. If you feel queasy how do the Derby fans feel. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Merging Cultures said:

Football, especially English teams have truly sold their souls.

Sad to see this guy and Newcastle owners being adored by their fans when in a fair a just society would be nowhere near owning a premier league football team earning multi-millions £’s.

I bet there’s all sorts of dodgyness at this level, and not just football but to be in the premier league with so much attention shows how money can blind ppl.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Whilst i agree with the comments directly above in that Cooper has done a great job getting them into the Premiership, & well done them, i don't think the bounce will last long.

3 of their best 4 players were there on loan Spence, Garner & Zinckernagel so unless they are brought will require replacing, leaving Johnson as the star man but really don't think he will be there much longer.

They have a few steady eddies in Mighton, McKenna, Worrall & Yates but if you take those 4 (loans + Johnson) out of that PO winning team i can see trouble ahead.

They have a few up & comers in Braian Ojeda, Loic Mbe Soh & Joao Carvalho but they have played less than 8 championship games between them so tall order to come in at their ages & hold a team in the Premiership.

Out of the 3 promoted these will struggle the most i feel.

Agree about Johnson as I think the January transfer window, coming immediately after the World Cup, will be big with lots of moves. If Forest are in the bottom three by then and a midtable club like Brighton or Villa come in for Johnson, he leaves. 

4 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Agree about Johnson as I think the January transfer window, coming immediately after the World Cup, will be big with lots of moves. If Forest are in the bottom three by then and a midtable club like Brighton or Villa come in for Johnson, he leaves. 

Yeah it could be a tough summer for the lad with all his links to the club pulling at his heart strings & a dream he has probably had with playing for Forest in the Premier league, but whilst he has said he will almostly certainly stay for next season any big offers for both him personally & for the club might just change that stance.

It's great that he has said he will stay its the same if KDH said the same for us 1 of your own & all that but as they all keep saying about short careers you say no to the right offer & it could set you back & totally re-map your future

2 minutes ago, ForestAreMagic said:

Forest need to:

- sign Spence or replace him

- sign Garner or replace him

- get a better left back/left wing back

- get a decent striker 

- stick with Cooper whatever happens 

I’m reasonably optimistic we’ll do this as we have an excellent CEO who works well with Cooper on making sensible signings.  

It’s going to be tricky getting the balance right on transfers because we have to make sure we don’t overspend and endanger the club in the event of us going back down.

We need to stay up for 1-2 seasons, then use Leicester and Wolves as the inspiration for our next step.

Failing that we need to at least make sure we’re a yo-yo club for a while - with pockets too deep for us to stay down for long 

Looking forward to the leicester matches 👀 

Through the most gritted of teeth  I'll say good luck.

Nah actually sorry I don't mean it lol

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, ForestAreMagic said:

Forest need to:

- get a decent striker - were short of options here

I’m reasonably optimistic we’ll do this as we have an excellent CEO who works well with Cooper on making sensible signings.  

It’s going to be tricky getting the balance right on transfers because we have to make sure we don’t overspend and endanger the club in the event of us going back down.

We need to stay up for 1-2 seasons, then use Leicester and Wolves as the inspiration for our next step.

Failing that we need to at least make sure we’re a yo-yo club for a while - with pockets too deep for us to stay down for long 

I am probably one of the few looking forward to you guys being back up. Very few local games which always drive atmosphere and interest.

Personally, not too fussed about the media potentially hyping Forest up, they did it for Leeds but so what. Looking forward to two good games and seeing how we both fare. Realistically we should be top half and you guys bottom half but I do think you will stay up fairly comfortably, Sheff Utd levels in their first season back up. Maybe 13th/14th.

Enjoy and will hopefully be back at the City Ground (fixture scheduling allowing).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bilo said:

Given their owner once allegedly blew up a bakery owned by a referee who displeased him, I don't think he'd be massively patient after a four game losing run culminating in a 4-0 home defeat to Brighton. 

His alleged links to heroin trafficking are pretty worrying too

• Like 1

I’ve not been paying attention but Forest’s owner kills referees, kills bakers and smuggles heroin? We’re only on the bankroll of an authoritarian dictatorship. Always trying to outdo us, they are. Not rivals, my arse.

57 minutes ago, ForestAreMagic said:

Forest need to:

- get a decent striker - were short of options here

Individuals are big in staying up at this level. Everton had Richarlison, we had players like Vardy and Cambiasso in the great escape season and teams that didn't have them, like Norwich, Watford and QPR a few seasons back, went down with a whimper. 

You'll need experience and a couple of scrappers, and it won't always be pretty. 

6 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

I've never made a bet - doesn't interest me, but the chance to enjoy some schadenfreude at Forest going down is tempting...

If you win your first bet you have a higher chance of associating gambling to winning and subsequent addiction. 

Old pea in the cup hustler trick- F`ing national lottery scratch cards were very generous when they first appeared, I won 40 quid on my first anyways, 

My advise, dont let Forest be the cause of your downfall and order some schadanfruede online if you cant find it in town

Would really love to see Forest play the opening game and lose, then stay on the bottom of the table all season long. Always within 3 points of 17th but never getting them when they need to lol

But honestly they’re an okay side and will pick up at least 30 points, maybe a lot more. If they avoid an awful start, they should be fine. Worse teams than them have come up and stayed up.

As for us, I expect nothing of interest to happen all season tbh. Which isn’t the worst thing. It’ll make it more special when we do storm up the league and get European football again. God knows when it’ll be but I hope we’ve got another few top six finishes in us before this golden era is truly over.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, filbertway said:

Momentum will be massive for Forest, Cooper has taken a squad that wouldn't look out of place in League one and had them on promotion winning form during his time there. Obviously a very good man manager and clearly a good tactician who has the ability to get the best out of what he has available. He's overachieved in every job he's been in so far, definitely earned his crack at a role in the premier league.

i thought they looked terrible in the play-off games. depends on who they bring in i suppose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bilo said:

Individuals are big in staying up at this level. Everton had Richarlison, we had players like Vardy and Cambiasso in the great escape season and teams that didn't have them, like Norwich, Watford and QPR a few seasons back, went down with a whimper. 

You'll need experience and a couple of scrappers, and it won't always be pretty. 

Bit simplified that, imo. QPR were shite but did have individual quality tbh, Charlie Austin scored 18 league goals in that 14/15 side which is insane.

I don't think there's any magic formula to be honest.

58 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

i thought they looked terrible in the play-off games. depends on who they bring in i suppose.

I think some of their momentum went a bit belly up towards the end. Defeats against Luton, Bournemouth and in the home leg against Sheffield United, and were extremely fortunate to get through against a pretty poor Huddersfield side in the final. 

They look a lot more fragile than the media would have you think.

• Like 1