Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

1 minute ago, Stevosevic said:

It doesn’t last forever for any team that dabbles with the top 6.

Leicester, Saints, West Han etc… have all done it. Unless you get much deeper pockets it’s not sustainable. 

Bloom and benham have a recruitment model that’s different because it’s totally data led (apart from their south and Central American conveyor of young talent which is hardly a risk given the fees) 

I think they may make a better fist of it than you think for a few seasons. Of course this probably depends on whether they have a coach lined up to replace de zerbi who will likely not be there beyond the season after next.  I could see him replacing pep if he doesn’t go back to Italy to manage a juve or inter before then. 

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Bloom and benham have a recruitment model that’s different because it’s totally data led (apart from their south and Central American conveyor of young talent which is hardly a risk given the fees) 

I think they may make a better fist of it than you think for a few seasons. Of course this probably depends on whether they have a coach lined up to replace de zerbi who will likely not be there beyond the season after next.  I could see him replacing pep if he doesn’t go back to Italy to manage a juve or inter before then. 

I think people are forgetting how ordinary Brighton were before the current manager.

Perhaps he’s a special manager who has taken them to this level? It certainly wasn’t that way before with Potter. They were actually pretty dull with one top half finish 

Edited by Stevosevic

6 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

I think people are forgetting how ordinary Brighton were before the current manager.

Perhaps he’s a special manager who has taken them to this level? It certainly wasn’t that way before with Potter. They were actually pretty dull with one top half finish 

Do find it weird how desperate people are to put Potter down. They’ve only finished three positions higher than they did last season with the squad he basically built.

Will be interesting to see where they and De Zebri are this time next season. I hope they’re still up there and challenging to be honest. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Do find it weird how desperate people are to put Potter down. They’ve only finished three positions higher than they did last season with the squad he basically built.

Will be interesting to see where they and De Zebri are this time next season. I hope they’re still up there and challenging to be honest. 

Yeah people speak as though he left them towards the relegation zone. Something clicked for them this season, and Potter not only saw the start of it this season but put the steps in place in previous seasons. They've been decent to watch for a while now but were never clinical. De Zerbi coming in has made them even better that's probably fair to say, but if Potter had stayed the whole season I doubt they'd be much worse off 

Edited by Stinky
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Stinky said:

Yeah people speak as though he left them towards the relegation zone. Something clicked for them this season, and Potter not only saw the start of it this season but put the steps in place in previous seasons. They've been decent to watch for a while now but were never clinical. De Zerbi coming in has made them even better that's probably fair to say, but if Potter had stayed the whole season I doubt they'd be much worse off 

If Potter stays the whole season at Brighton and Tuchel stays the whole season at Chelsea, no way do Brighton finish above Chelsea.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

They were ordinary. His league finishes with Brighton suggest that.

New manger took them to a new level in no time. 

5 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

So the Potterati refuse to admit that the Chelsea gig ever happened? 

Oh Potterari? Interesting take. I still don't follow where you're going with this, my original post was based solely on Potter Vs De Zerbi. 

9 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Maybe you're right.

But I'll be impressed and surprised if they keep it going. The stinking rich greedy seven will grab any of their players, coaches, backroom staff they think are good, and however good Brighton's recruitment is, it only needs to be less than perfect once for them to suddenly be at the other end of the table.

The problem for everyone outside the stinking rich greedy seven is that they need to get it right all the time, as they don't have the money to simply replace any signing that doesn't work out with a better one - whereas the SRG7 can just keep throwing money at it till it clicks.

• Like 2

It is defo going to be Rodgers now. My guess the situation whenever they have talks with a potential manager they ask the same question about Harry Kane is he staying? and when they can't answer or give the wrong answer there decision is made.

9 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Slot rejects spurs, most be some serious behind the scenes issues. 

Can't wait for their rage when Rogers is appointed 

They'll be ok about it when he's been there a year and they're second in the league, playing brilliant, dazzling football.

Might change their minds again though when he's been there three years and it's all gone wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevosevic said:

They were ordinary. His league finishes with Brighton suggest that.

New manger took them to a new level in no time. 

I appreciate a table so early on the season doesn't mean a great deal, but Potter when he left had them 4th, 13pts from 18 available. The new level De Zerbi has taken them to is 6th. Why do you choose to ignore his form at the beginning of the season, small sample size or not, when it more or less matches what De Zerbi has done for the remainder of it?

He was there 3 full seasons and was given the task of changing their style of play after Hughton consolidated them. Think in his second season he started to draw more plaudits but they weren't anywhere near ruthless enough infront of goal, still finishing fairly low but their expectations were probably still just to survive at a minimum. 3rd year it finally clicked and went to a new level, finishing 9th with Brighton is better than ordinary let's be honest. Then the upwards curve continues this season. The least he deserves is credit for taking them in the right direction and totally upgrading their style of play. You'd think as fans of a club where some of us still like to hold Pearson jointly responsible with Ranieri for our title win that we would understand that. 

Edited by Stinky
  • Like 3

lets be right, why would Slot move to spurs when he feels like hes building something at Feyenoord; spurs seem like a mess to be, the same way we are

plus Fey. have champions league football next season too; could be a bigger shop window for him

Spurs consider themselves bigger than what they are, massive impressive stadium yes, but an empty trophy room. Owner that don't spend, squad that's rapidly agining, not in the champions league constantly. Tottenham are no bigger than likes of Villa and Newcastle. 

It's amazing to think in the time Spurs have won nowt, Swansea, Wigan, Leicester x2 have all won things and spent 10x less. Chelsea lifted the europa league during a transfer embargo as well.  Tottenham need to face reality there not of the main elite. That's not cause I don't like them but it's not an attractive job to top coaches. They consider Tottenham being too small. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Tottenham need to face reality there not of the main elite.

In many ways you're absolutely right, but it's all about money, and money-wise they're firmly in the top what was six and is now seven.

It may well be that over the next few years Man C, Newcastle and Man U (if the Qatar thing happens, whoever gets a Qatari takeover otherwise) become a big/top/greedy three, with everyone else scrabbling to be best of the rest.

47 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Spurs consider themselves bigger than what they are, massive impressive stadium yes, but an empty trophy room. Owner that don't spend, squad that's rapidly agining, not in the champions league constantly. Tottenham are no bigger than likes of Villa and Newcastle. 

It's amazing to think in the time Spurs have won nowt, Swansea, Wigan, Leicester x2 have all won things and spent 10x less. Chelsea lifted the europa league during a transfer embargo as well.  Tottenham need to face reality there not of the main elite. That's not cause I don't like them but it's not an attractive job to top coaches. They consider Tottenham being too small. 

I see Spurs basically being West Ham long term, maybe without the relegation fights. Big impressive stadium, average team, challenging for Europe but not the champions league places.

1 hour ago, FrankieADZ said:

lets be right, why would Slot move to spurs when he feels like hes building something at Feyenoord; spurs seem like a mess to be, the same way we are

plus Fey. have champions league football next season too; could be a bigger shop window for him

He went to Feyenoord when he was building at AZ