Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

5 hours ago, Raj said:

When you look at the calibre of managers who have previously  failed at Spurs, makes you think there really is a big problem  there.

Is there a big problem there though?

Before our title winning season where were spurs in the premier league pecking order? Probably about where they are now? I think there's delusions of grandeur there because they've had some of the best players they've ever had in this period and they've gone close in some of the competitions, but realistically have they ever been favourites to win any competitions? No. So in every instance they've had to upset the odds. And they haven't. Like most clubs don't. Like they never did before the Levy era. I think far more is made of what Spurs should have achieved purely because we won the title. If it had been one of the usual suspects instead of us, nobody would be saying that that was their opportunity, yet it's always the one pointed to by pundits. "They should have won it in 2016". Even though they came 3rd and were never once top of the table. They came closer the year after, but nobody mentions that they should have won it instead of Chelsea.

Spurs are an also-ran. They've been that for a very long time. Getting top managers in has improved their status from a participation trophy to runners up medals. With new money elevating the financial status of clubs like Newcastle, Chelsea, Man City and probably soon to be Man Utd, the chances of anyone doing anything of note at Spurs are incredibly slim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Will Postecoglou go to Spurs?

Obviously a very good manager but will the media and fans put pressure on him straight away .

And if he doesn’t start well the comments like “it was only Celtic in Scotland” might come out.

I don't really get the hype surrounding him, what's he done? Managed in Australia, managed Australia, in Japan and Scotland, that's not to say he won't do well, I just don't see any yardstick to measure it with either way.

A 73.45% win record at Celtic, impressive, but let's have it right Neil Lennon had a 70% win record at Celtic. 

However,

:appl:Breaking the mould in the dirge of the modern game.

Edited by Matt

33 minutes ago, Matt said:

I don't really get the hype surrounding him, what's he done? Managed in Australia, managed Australia, in Japan and Scotland, that's not to say he won't do well, I just don't see any yardstick to measure it with either way.

A 73.45% win record at Celtic, impressive, but let's have it right Neil Lennon had a 70% win record at Celtic. 

However,

Yes I guess it really be a step up for him and a different amount of pressure potentially?

2 hours ago, Matt said:

However,

Regardless of honours, his teams are entertaining to watch and he doesn’t suffer fools gladly in the media. 

He has that bit of Bielsa in him where I don’t thinking winning trophies is the be and end all with him 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JimJams said:

Is there a big problem there though?

Before our title winning season where were spurs in the premier league pecking order? Probably about where they are now? I think there's delusions of grandeur there because they've had some of the best players they've ever had in this period and they've gone close in some of the competitions, but realistically have they ever been favourites to win any competitions? No. So in every instance they've had to upset the odds. And they haven't. Like most clubs don't. Like they never did before the Levy era. I think far more is made of what Spurs should have achieved purely because we won the title. If it had been one of the usual suspects instead of us, nobody would be saying that that was their opportunity, yet it's always the one pointed to by pundits. "They should have won it in 2016". Even though they came 3rd and were never once top of the table. They came closer the year after, but nobody mentions that they should have won it instead of Chelsea.

Spurs are an also-ran. They've been that for a very long time. Getting top managers in has improved their status from a participation trophy to runners up medals. With new money elevating the financial status of clubs like Newcastle, Chelsea, Man City and probably soon to be Man Utd, the chances of anyone doing anything of note at Spurs are incredibly slim.

Absolutely spot on post. I've always said this, Spurs are a big club but never have been expected to win things. Pre Levy and pre Harry Redknapp they were absolutely terrible, couldn't fill White Hart lane and had Chris Armstrong up front. Their mega stadium, Bale and Modric, Pochettino years are as good as it gets probably for them. Kane will go to United or Madrid and they will go back to being shite again.

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Dyche brought him to Burnley 

if Everton are going to play to a big CF (DCL) then they need a second option who will play in a similar way because DCL is so often unfit 

Sold to the highest bidder.  It was quite funny last season seeing Weghorst playing for Man United because he wasn't wanted in the Burnley squad.

Tottenham going to struggle again next season, don't think Ange can solve their problems. Kane will soon be wanting away if he is appointed. If you look at the club he's managed he's never managed in a strong competitive league, Australian top league, Greek League second division, Japanese league, Scottish SPL. not exactly over whelming. 

Edited by Leicesterpool

10 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Tottenham going to struggle again next season, don't think Ange can solve their problems. Kane will soon be wanting away if he is appointed. If you look at the club he's managed he's never managed in a strong competitive league, Australian top league, Greek League second division, Japanese league, Scottish SPL. not exactly over whelming. 

That’s true to an extent, but it’s also true that he’s been successful everywhere he’s been and that’s not meaningless.  Also, the J League for example may not be on the level of a top tier Euroloeague,  but it is wide open - anybody in the table can win any given year.  I do know that he’s extremely well-regarded from his time here.

I posted 4 posts that we should get Postecoglu between August and November 2021.

Back then Spurs were interested in Brendan after we won the FA cup aswell.

But everyone who reacted dismissed the idea and thought he wasn't good enough for us.... and now he going to Spurs!

When Arsene Wenger joined Arsenal everyone was saying the same in that he's only won the J league and look how he turned out for them.

Edited by CrispinLA in Texas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watching the cup final, it was noticeable to me that even Pep is realising that pure football alone won't get the job done these days. They did not particularly outplay Utd. but consistently out muscled them. Silva is their only lightweight these days and Rodri and Haaland in particular were often just too strong for Utd. We should take note of this in our supposed rebuild.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cincinnati Fox said:

Shows that Rodgers stock has fallen despite the press still rimming him

Back to Celtic is the latest rumour - which their fans don't seem keen on. 

If the reaction from the Spurs fans on their fans forum is anything to go by there isn't much faith in Ange Postecoglou maybe due to his lack of top management experience (in their eyes) or the he won't get backed.

For example" He (Levy) has sunk us so low that we are appointing a manager who, I'm convinced, would not be offered a job by a single other Premier League side currently. This is who we are now"!

Suspect Postecoglou will have to start well or the knives will be out quickly. 

Edited by Super_horns

8 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

I posted 4 posts that we should get Postecoglu between August and November 2021.

Back then Spurs were interested in Brendan after we won the FA cup aswell.

But everyone who reacted dismissed the idea and thought he wasn't good enough for us.... and now he going to Spurs!

When Arsene Wenger joined Arsenal everyone was saying the same in that he's only won the J league and look how he turned out for them.

I still think he’ll flop in the Premier league - won’t see out the season.

• Like 1