Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

21 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I've never suggested what women should watch, I've stated my own opinion on watching the game and who i prefer to listen to in commentary and ex pro's opinions. It isn't sexism, it's a preference and it seems like you're just trying to shut that opinion down, and it's an opinion also shared by women fans. It's just a disagreement, that's all

No one is shutting you down, don’t use that strawman, you’re better than that. The other poster was simply disagreeing with you. 

1 hour ago, splinterdream said:

i personally prefer to hear from ex pros that have played the mens game, especially in commentary as a co commentator. There is plenty of space in the womens game, not quite sure why women commentators and pundits need to be in the mens game also. I've seen women fans sharing the same opinion

I’ve seen women fans not sharing the same opinion, and male ones. Not really a solid argument. I disagree with your viewpoint completely but I’m glad you’ve shared it and I’d never try and shut you down. What is it specifically about what the women commentators say that you find less preferable? Do you have any examples? I disagree with you but I’m always eager to hear opposing viewpoints to my own. To me it sounds like sexism but I wouldn’t want to accuse you of that without hearing your valid arguments first. I’m genuinely intrigued. Why do you prefer male commentators? Could you cite some specifics? 

Edited by RumbleFox

As long as people are there on merit then that's all that matters to me. Took me a season or two to get used to seeing women talking about football on these shows as it was totally alien, but now it's becoming more common I don't particularly notice it as much.

Women or men, you'll decide which ones are decent and which ones are awful. Much like I know Don Goodman is an awful commentator who speaks exclusive in clichés. Sue smith is the same. The world would be a better place if neither of them were working in football.

Ideally we'd just clone Ally McCoist and he would fill every football media spot, but unfortunately, we're just not there yet.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

No one is shutting you down, don’t use that strawman, you’re better than that. The other poster was simply disagreeing with you. 

I disagree, calling me sexist to somehow shame me is imo trying to shut that opinion down. Now I'm happy to concede as much as he's a legend, Matt Elliott isn't a great commentator, or Michael Owen doesn't have the cleverist opinions, but a choice between him and Karen Carney and I'm Matt and Michael everytime because I just value the level they've played at more. There are many ex pro's who I'd love to hear from rather than someone who's been involved in the womens game, that's it really, as for female Leicester fans, the more the merrier, I wish the females in my family were interested.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I’ve seen women fans not sharing the same opinion, and male ones. Not really a solid argument. I disagree with your viewpoint completely but I’m glad you’ve shared it and I’d never try and shut you down. What is it specifically about what the women commentators say that you find less preferable? Do you have any examples? I disagree with you but I’m always eager to hear opposing viewpoints to my own. To me it sounds like sexism but I wouldn’t want to accuse you of that without hearing your valid arguments first. I’m genuinely intrigued. Why do you prefer male commentators? Could you cite some specifics? 

I made the specific point about female fans sharing my opinion to emphasise the point it isn't sexist.

Edited by splinterdream
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Bert said:

Tuchel is such a ****

Didn’t see the game live  so hadn’t realised after the “foul” before the first goal there was 44 seconds of further play and Chelsea gave the ball away twice before Spurs scored .

Can understand their frustration but was avoidable from then too 

4 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I couldn't give a shit if the pundits have played the game before or not. It means absolutely nothing. 

Look at how many top managers over the years never played the game at any decent level. 

True but those who have played the game at a decent level generally have an advantage as they have better knowledge and experiences to share. As an aside fara williams is very good. As good as Alex scott imo. Gabby Logan and Coates very good hosts. All better than mcmanaman and jamie carragher michael Owen! I turn off when I hear their voices. Martin Tyler too. 

15 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I couldn't give a shit if the pundits have played the game before or not. It means absolutely nothing. 

Look at how many top managers over the years never played the game at any decent level. 

It's true, but it's also good justification for why they're in that role to begin with rather than being a certain sex. Karen Carney is without doubt the worse as well cause she's a bloody Brummy as well, so she hasn't even got being articulate in the bank 

Edited by The Horse's Mouth

21 minutes ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

Sue Smith and Karen Carney are absolutely terrible, Karen carney is probably the only female pundit that you could blame ‘tokenism’ on where she got bullied on social media as a guest on ssn and then bumped up to be on a programme every week despite having no clue what she’s talking about. 
Gabby Logan, Alex Scott and Laura Woods however are very decent to listen to imo. Compare them to the likes of mcmanaman , Owen and shearer and it’s night and day. I think there are very few decent pundits and commentators anyway tbh, but feel like women are put under more pressure. 

I'm rather partial to Laura Woods after she put Jamie O'Hara and Agbonlahor back in their lunatic boxes. 

1 minute ago, GoonerJeeves said:

I'm rather partial to Laura Woods after she put Jamie O'Hara and Agbonlahor back in their lunatic boxes. 

Laura Woods is a great presenter in football, like Helen Chamberlain had us watching Soccer AM for years, they are presenters though and not commentators or pundits

• Like 2

2 hours ago, splinterdream said:

I disagree, calling me sexist to somehow shame me is imo trying to shut that opinion down. Now I'm happy to concede as much as he's a legend, Matt Elliott isn't a great commentator, or Michael Owen doesn't have the cleverist opinions, but a choice between him and Karen Carney and I'm Matt and Michael everytime because I just value the level they've played at more. There are many ex pro's who I'd love to hear from rather than someone who's been involved in the womens game, that's it really, as for female Leicester fans, the more the merrier, I wish the females in my family were interested.

Ironic that you spelt that word incorrectly.

3 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Didn’t see the game live  so hadn’t realised after the “foul” before the first goal there was 44 seconds of further play and Chelsea gave the ball away twice before Spurs scored .

Can understand their frustration but was avoidable from then too 

That's where Tuchel lost me.  OK, an obvious common foul wasn't called ... happens 20 times a game ... play on.  Then he loses his rag after an entirely different phase of play.

That and the statistics confirming he's the worst moaner among all PL managers.

He seems to be a good tactician but the incessant excuses and deflection are poor leadership.  When the going turns to shit and his players all make excuses, where then?

Looking forward to the day when Chelsea flush him.  (Especially since we're not seeing the back of Klopp anytime soon)

1 minute ago, KingsX said:

That's where Tuchel lost me.  OK, an obvious common foul wasn't called ... happens 20 times a game ... play on.  Then he loses his rag after an entirely different phase of play.

That and the statistics confirming he's the worst moaner among all PL managers.

He seems to be a good tactician but the incessant excuses and deflection are poor leadership.  When the going turns to shit and his players all make excuses, where then?

Looking forward to the day when Chelsea flush him.  (Especially since we're not seeing the back of Klopp anytime soon)

Him and Klopp managed the 2nd best team in Germany by a mile. He got his own way over there. It isn’t the same in the PL. The sooner he learns that, the better.

Disclaimer: Klopp and Pep do get their own way. 

4 hours ago, splinterdream said:

I've never suggested what women should watch, I've stated my own opinion on watching the game and who i prefer to listen to in commentary and ex pro's opinions. It isn't sexism, it's a preference and it seems like you're just trying to shut that opinion down, and it's an opinion also shared by women fans. It's just a disagreement, that's all

Stone and flint comes to mind.