Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

1 hour ago, Jattdogg said:

Think Conte would have knocked tuchel out, would have been fsntastic to see.

Glad it wasn’t just me thinking let these 2 go at it full bloodied dusty cuffs let’s see how it ends up. This handbags stuff just makes me laugh and then afterwards they say to the camera oh it was nothing really 🤣

• Like 1

8 hours ago, splinterdream said:

i personally prefer to hear from ex pros that have played the mens game, especially in commentary as a co commentator. There is plenty of space in the womens game, not quite sure why women commentators and pundits need to be in the mens game also. I've seen women fans sharing the same opinion

You realise the point of women's sports in general isn't to segregate the fans, pundits and general non-players by gender? 

Like yea, I also know a fair few women who want nothing to do with the men's game and can hardly blame them - they're lesbians and where the WSL and women's fanbase is a lot more relaxed and welcoming, men's football is still deeply homophobic and transphobic, particularly the fans (see the shit that gets pulled when Brighton come to town, while the only time I've seen transphobic street harassment was in the immediate aftermath of the Sevilla game outside the chippy on welford road). They understandably feel like the men's game doesn't want them in any way, shape or form, and the answer to that is not to say "you're right to feel unwelcome, **** off back to your own sport", it's to include them and fix the culture in the men's game

• Like 4

Everton reject £43m bid from Chelsea for Anthony Gordon
Everton have rejected a bid worth £43m including add-ons from Chelsea for forward Anthony Gordon, according to the Evening Standard and Nathan Gissing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/brendan-rodgers-alex-smithies-wesley-fofana-cardiff-leicester-b2144998.html

Brendan Rodgers realistic about top-six hopes after lack of summer signings
Leicester have only brought in former Cardiff keeper Alex Smithies this summer.
Rachel Steinberg
7 hours ago

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers admitted his top-six hopes are severely diminished after budget constraints have resulted in just a single summer signing.

Former Cardiff keeper Alex Smithies, who on Friday joined the Foxes for two years on a free transfer, is the lone new addition to Rodgers’ squad so far.

Rodgers readily acknowledged his situation was in pronounced contrast to the new-look Arsenal side who beat Leicester 4-2 on Saturday.

I obviously want the club to be up there fighting and challenging for European football,, but that’s going to take investment, and if we can’t do that than I also have to be realistic as well

Brendan Rodgers
“It obviously feels a little strange not to be signing anyone,” he said. “However I understand the predicament the club is in, so from that I can’t then get too down and too disappointed about it. The reality is there, we’ve been unable to do any business.

It’s just unfortunate because I’m an ambitious coach, I want to challenge at the top end of the table. That’s why I came here, in order to disrupt the market like I’ve said before, to be up there. But for that you need to constantly evolve and improve.

“I respect the club, I trust the club, and if we can’t do it then of course my focus purely goes onto the players that we have and try to maximise their potential.

“That’s it. There’s no point in crying about it, you’ve just got to get on with it. I drive into work every single day, I love the club. The training ground is amazing, I work with a really honest bunch of players that give me everything.

“So I can’t complain. I obviously want the club to be up there fighting and challenging for European football, top where we’ve been for a few years, but that’s going to take investment, and if we can’t do that than I also have to be realistic as well.”

Leicester finished fifth in both the 2019/20 and 2020/21 seasons but just missed out on European football with an eighth-place finish last term.

Rodgers’ reality check could prove even more prescient if rumours of a potential Wesley Fofana move to Chelsea come true before the transfer window closes on September 1.

Meanwhile, the impact of key winger Harvey Barnes’ absence from the squad with a knee injury has compounded Rodgers’ problems, forcing him to reconsider his tactics.

He added: “Because we don’t have the wingers, that means we’re restricted on what you can do in the game.

“But over the three years I’ve been here we’ve been flexible enough in our system. Our principles are always the same but the systems have changed. You could see that they’re comfortable in the systems they play but when you don’t have wingers you can’t play 4-3-3.

“He’s one of our top players. You’ve seen exactly what we were trying to do over the course of pre-season, five weeks, and then you take him out and the whole game-plan changes.”

• Like 2

^^^ That's exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to hear from Rodgers. I'm sure there will be accusations of 'on message' but in as much as I can tell, it seems genuine.

However I understand the predicament the club is in, so from that I can’t then get too down and too disappointed about it. 

I respect the club, I trust the club, and if we can’t do it then of course my focus purely goes onto the players that we have and try to maximise their potential.

That’s it. There’s no point in crying about it, you’ve just got to get on with it

...and he explains his context...

It’s just unfortunate because I’m an ambitious coach, I want to challenge at the top end of the table. That’s why I came here, in order to disrupt the market like I’ve said before, to be up there. But for that you need to constantly evolve and improve.

That acceptance of the situation and the desire to get on with it is what I wanted to hear. So respect to kudos to Rodgers for putting that into his words. Next half dozen matches, I want to see what he puts into practice.

Edit: this really should be in (one of) the Rodgers thread!

Edited by taupe
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, taupe said:

^^^ That's exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to hear from Rodgers. I'm sure there will be accusations of 'on message' but in as much as I can tell, it seems genuine.

...and he explains his context...

That acceptance of the situation and the desire to get on with it is what I wanted to hear. So respect to kudos to Rodgers for putting that into his words. Next half dozen matches, I want to see what he puts into practice.

He’s only saying that to save his own skin and also he can have no complaints with the lack of investment this summer because of the utter guff he signed last season and also the fact we are not in Europe if he gets the bullet he can have no complaints imo

Edited by Happy Fox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

He’s only saying that to save his own skin and also he can have no complaints with the lack of investment this summer because of the utter guff he signed last season and also the fact we are not in Europe if he gets the bullet he can have no complaints imo

What exactly is it you think he is only saying to save his own skin?
He has given an honest assessment of where we are, where we want to be, and the challenges we face in achieving our goals. 
Not sure why people get so irate about what Rodgers says, and look to read things into it that aren’t really there.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

because of the utter guff he signed last season

I'm pretty sure that wasn't solely down to Rodgers, a whole cross section of people at the club would have provided input and he'd have as much say about fee and wages as you. and I

• Like 1

11 hours ago, splinterdream said:

I've never suggested what women should watch, I've stated my own opinion on watching the game and who i prefer to listen to in commentary and ex pro's opinions. It isn't sexism, it's a preference and it seems like you're just trying to shut that opinion down, and it's an opinion also shared by women fans. It's just a disagreement, that's all

You dont seem to understand the context of what iwas trying to say?

So because its your opinion or preference it isn't sexist?! I'm not trying to shut your opinion down. You can think what you want thats up to you but I'm sorry to tell you it was absolutely sexist.

3 minutes ago, The Bear said:

In Forest's case it needed to be done though. They had 8 or 9 players leave after promotion. 

Teams shouldn't be allowed that many loan players, if they had to own them they probably couldn't have afforded them or the players wouldn't have gone there.

Loans should be either for

development, so not from the same league,

with an agreement to buy or

as a result of an extreme number of injuries.

8 minutes ago, The Bear said:

In Forest's case it needed to be done though. They had 8 or 9 players leave after promotion. 

Spoke with a Bochum chap over this weekend and he was saying how a huge club like Schalke could only spend five million euros having come up to the top flight like Forest.

35 minutes ago, Raj said:

Love to see that passion that conte and Tunchel  showed yesterday.

Wish we had a manager like that...

I love to see passion too but there is a fine line between that and aggressive bullying behaviour. Tuchel cant use physicality just because conte doesn’t want to look at him and listen to his crap. Passion mixed with empathy and true leadership is what we need. Someone who inspires players and makes the players want to run that extra mile for. Potter seems to be able to do it without being aggressive and plenty of other examples. Sometimes the toughest thing to do is to suck it up, say nothing and walk away. Use it in training and work harder for next time. Don’t get me wrong. It is fun to watch but doesn’t set a good example for kids or encouraging diversity. It’s not boxing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

will end up around £100 after these few are in (inc loan fees ).  Add on a bit for a/o fees too 

using next years money in the hope they stay up 

It’s within the current rules of FFP. Doesn’t address this situation. The flip side is a club like ours is caught in its current situation. Both clubs need to think long term. Risk taking is fine if the dice fall favourably and you’re unlikely to get anywhere quickly in top level English football nowadays without it unless you are one of those established big clubs with massive revenue incomings guaranteed.