Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

24 minutes ago, Hammo said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/12677124/raheem-sterling-chelsea-forward-left-fuming-and-raging-by-manchester-city-exit

Sterling is so self-important and entitled - and so vastly overrated - it makes me laugh.

The reason Guardiola dropped him repeatedly is that - as pretty much every Man City fan would tell you - he constantly gave the ball away, ran into trouble, butchered countless attacks and missed loads of easy chances. The guy has serious pace and clever off-the-ball movement but little else. Yes, he had a good Euro but if Thomas Muller had finished that easy chance he gifted him, it could have been a very different story for both him and England, and I've still never heard an explanation as to why he never volunteered to take a penalty in the shoot-out of the final, leaving poor Saka to take that fatal final kick. Sterling seems to have made himself such a protected species in the media that no one has ever dared to ask.

I'll be amazed if he succeeds at Chelsea. 

He was absolutely incredible for Manchester City. A wildly underrated footballer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Hammo said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/12677124/raheem-sterling-chelsea-forward-left-fuming-and-raging-by-manchester-city-exit

Sterling is so self-important and entitled - and so vastly overrated - it makes me laugh.

The reason Guardiola dropped him repeatedly is that - as pretty much every Man City fan would tell you - he constantly gave the ball away, ran into trouble, butchered countless attacks and missed loads of easy chances. The guy has serious pace and clever off-the-ball movement but little else. Yes, he had a good Euro but if Thomas Muller had finished that easy chance he gifted him, it could have been a very different story for both him and England, and I've still never heard an explanation as to why he never volunteered to take a penalty in the shoot-out of the final, leaving poor Saka to take that fatal final kick. Sterling seems to have made himself such a protected species in the media that no one has ever dared to ask.

I'll be amazed if he succeeds at Chelsea. 

The abuse I got on here last year for pointing out that despite the goals he wasn't actually that a good a player and was playing poorly at the Euros was ridiculous. You're spot on. His movement is excellent, but his footballing ability isn't great. As you say he runs into trouble, loses the ball, holds onto it too long. He also can't really strike the ball very well. Look at his long shots, crosses and set pieces attempts. He's got a lot of goal from getting on the end of Man City moves with tap ins. It's stat padding. Massively overrated.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

He was absolutely incredible for Manchester City. A wildly underrated footballer. 

Agreed, Sterling is definitely far more underrated than overrated. The amount of people who seem to want to write him off as a Theo Walcott/Aaron Lennon type limited but fast player is just bizarre to me. He'll rightly go down as one of the greatest English players ever - and one of the few who actually performed for England when it matters too (his Euro 2020 was up there amongst the very best individual tournaments by an English player since 1966).

Edited by Sampson
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Jenas coming out with a couple of comments that highlight why pundits with connections to the club playing shouldn't co-commentate.

Firstly he said "Wolves are finding it too comfortable." No that's a Spurs fan view. Wolves are just finding it comfortable. Too comfortable implies that the coverage favours Spurs. He then referred to Spurs as "us". You don't play for them anymore mate, you supposed to be am impartial pundit.

This annoys me too. Almost annoying as Neville's ostensibly false impartiality when commentating on Man U games. Just get neutrals in.

Edited by Danizen
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Jenas coming out with a couple of comments that highlight why pundits with connections to the club playing shouldn't co-commentate.

Firstly he said "Wolves are finding it too comfortable." No that's a Spurs fan view. Wolves are just finding it comfortable. Too comfortable implies that the coverage favours Spurs. He then referred to Spurs as "us". You don't play for them anymore mate, you supposed to be am impartial pundit.

i don't think he is supposed to stay impartial, seems to be a trend that they get a co commentator that's a fan of the club hes co commentating on, Sky and BT sport both do it

15 minutes ago, KFS said:

Listening to Peter Schmeichel on bbc 5 live say we don’t have any money is a bit harrowing. 

How does he know this? Is he the accountant of the board? Was his son processing the end of day banking every night and calling him? It's one thing being cautious as a club with the finances and another being unofficially bankrupt. 

Did he say anything about ManU's or Spurs debt? I guess not. 

Edited by Fear Of The Fox

15 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

i don't think he is supposed to stay impartial, seems to be a trend that they get a co commentator that's a fan of the club hes co commentating on, Sky and BT sport both do it

You're probably right. Doesn't make it any less annoying. 

14 minutes ago, KFS said:

Listening to Peter Schmeichel on bbc 5 live say we don’t have any money is a bit harrowing. 

He didn't expand on it, just an "I've been told" then moved on. Nothing concrete in it.

2 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

How does he know this? Is he the accountant of the board? Was he son processing the end of day banking every night and calling him? It's one thing being cautious as a club with the finances and another being unofficially bankrupt. 

He also said about how Maddison would be in a disgruntled three if he didn’t get his Newcastle move, so it’s clear he doesn’t know much.

Spoke just now on Kasper’s move. It’s basically pre-retirement!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

It is time to have one fully neutral co commentator or one each from both teams. Jenas is not going to give an impartial view of the match.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

How does he know this? Is he the accountant of the board? Was he son processing the end of day banking every night and calling him? It's one thing being cautious as a club with the finances and another being unofficially bankrupt. 

Kasper will know this information so likely will his Dad. I've said before i thought it's very likely Top doesn't have control of King Power finance and with the downturn in their business, wouldn't surprise me if any investment spend has been holted, this always seemed like Vichais project, I wonder whether Lineker knew as well with his comment about Leicester going back to be Leicester again.

3 minutes ago, KFS said:

He also said about how Maddison would be in a disgruntled three if he didn’t get his Newcastle move, so it’s clear he doesn’t know much.

Spoke just now on Kasper’s move. It’s basically pre-retirement!

Sometimes I really wish we had as a club a proper aggressive media related team to handle all this journos, agents, ex players etc. 

1 minute ago, splinterdream said:

Kasper will know this information so likely will his Dad. I've said before i thought it's very likely Top doesn't have control of King Power finance and with the downturn in their business, wouldn't surprise me if any investment spend has been holted, this always seemed like Vichais project, I wonder whether Lineker knew as well with his comment about Leicester going back to be Leicester again.

Kasper shouldn't know anything unless we're doing business as a local pub and not a professional football club. 

1 minute ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Kasper shouldn't know anything unless we're doing business as a local pub and not a professional football club. 

like a business, i imagine clubs are gossip factories. If we're in trouble and there is no money, would be very difficult for a club to keep that secret. If Peter said publicly Maddision wants the move, I am surprised, I thought he'd have more respect for us to keep that quiet unless he's disgruntled about something