Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

I say it every season now but I think Southampton will drop. 40 points last season, 4th worst defence, only scored 43 too.

Their squad is full of players you'd best describe as average besides Ward-Prowse

Ward-Prowse is average outside of set pieces as well 

• Like 3

Just now, when_you're_smiling said:

I don’t understand what difference it makes. Are they saying the other teams will go easy on them?

They don't want the high intensity games just before a World Cup. I don't see the point in the request. 

Next it'll be not to face each other on first day, final day, boxing day and NYD etc. Or don't make us play one after the other. 

No club or FA should be dictating when they play another in this fashion. 

• Like 1

I don’t understand what difference it makes. Are they saying the other teams will go easy on them?

The majority of England players are with the big six teams.  It’s feasible that if these sides aren’t playing each other then they may rest some players and the fa hope it will be england ones!  In addition, their assumption is that games between the big six are more intense. 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

They don't want the high intensity games just before a World Cup. I don't see the point in the request. 

Next it'll be not to face each other on first day, final day, boxing day and NYD etc. Or don't make us play one after the other. 

No club or FA should be dictating when they play another in this fashion. 

Are they more high intensity? Are the refs going to be instructed to protect the big six more (than usual)?

1 minute ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Are they more high intensity? Are the refs going to be instructed to protect the big six more (than usual)?

Wouldn't surprise me. If the FA are requesting this, what's next? 

Some of them are higher intensity. Why do these clubs get preference of being protected over any others? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The majority of England players are with the big six teams.  It’s feasible that if these sides aren’t playing each other then they may rest some players and the fa hope it will be england ones!  In addition, their assumption is that games between the big six are more intense. 

A quick tally and only 12 of the current squad are ‘big six’.

No way they’d rest them. They’d rather they picked up a niggle and have a rest during the tournament.

A quick tally and only 12 of the current squad are ‘big six’.

No way they’d rest them. They’d rather they picked up a niggle and have a rest during the tournament.

Tbh, intelligent managers would not be rushing to play too many of those who are off to Qatar the following week as they aren’t likely to be putting 100% in.   Usually, there is a month between the last game of the season (which is often meaningless) and the start of the WC. Players can risk a strain or a knock. This will be different. 

• Like 1

It's a joke. Associations had this "rule" in other European Leagues also where the title contenders weren't facing each other in the first 3-5 games of the season including Italy, Spain and Greece. This thing can backfire badly. Leeds vs Liverpool before the break for World Cup. Let's see how many Liverpool internationals will risk an injury. 

37 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Pathetic. 

Shite how they get favoured in terms of fixture preferences. 

Don't get why anyone is particularly bothered about this. Exceptional circumstances this year and the majority of the national side's players turn out for these clubs. It's the FA protecting themselves rather than the clubs being arseholes.

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
Typo
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Pathetic. 

Shite how they get favoured in terms of fixture preferences. 

Hardly a fixture preference is it?

Would rather our best players didn't run each other ragged a couple of weeks before the world cup.

If it were up to me then the teams that have English international players would play against the likes of Forest, Bournemouth, Fulham etc on that weekend.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Would rather our best players didn't run each other ragged a couple of weeks before the world cup.

If it were up to me then the teams that have English international players would play against the likes of Forest, Bournemouth, Fulham etc on that weekend.

Where's the logic behind that? There are more chances these players will get injured by playing against some EFL, League 1 quality/mentality players. 

17 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Where's the logic behind that? There are more chances these players will get injured by playing against some EFL, League 1 quality/mentality players. 

Not sure about that given the speed and demands of the sport at the very elite level. Also love the assumed trope that the EFL is not revered because of its quality at all levels and full of seven figure footballers, but is instead full of plodders with names like Chopper and Hacker who are on day release.

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

That could just be sensible practice to hold back a sum on the basis that no one at Chelsea could provide warranties that there could not be any FFP investigations brought by uefa or the PL .  And who would you accept a warranty from!  Certainly not abramovich. 

it’s probably a non story 

4 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Yep, I was thinking the FA/Premier League would be doing this anyway too.