Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

Glad VAR was put to good use then. Never a red. Cynical foul deserving of a yellow.

Also why I like Gillette as a ref. Probably the one that will use his common sense fairly regularly if the A-League was anything to go by. 

Some other refs wouldn't have had the balls to overturn their own decision.

• Like 3

Just now, Finnegan said:

Unpopular opinion possibly - I'd rather see more tackles like that get red cards. 

If you can't get anywhere near the ball and you're literally just swiping the legs of a player that's sprinting away from you, you absolutely should be sent off. It's just straight up booting someone. 

I hate that "clever foul", "professional foul" shit. Trippier literally just flies at him to take him out, it's not a tackle its just assault. 

Really annoys me that we normalise that anti-football negative shit. 

This is why I can't get behind the "let it flow" mantra they're supposedly trying to lean towards this year. If anything I'd want more fouls being given, not less. Sick of seeing teams - and it is usually the better teams as well, with there being a provable link between number of fouls committed and points won - being able to instantly shut down counter-attacks without any serious punishment by just tripping or bundling them over.

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Unpopular opinion possibly - I'd rather see more tackles like that get red cards. 

If you can't get anywhere near the ball and you're literally just swiping the legs of a player that's sprinting away from you, you absolutely should be sent off. It's just straight up booting someone. 

I hate that "clever foul", "professional foul" shit. Trippier literally just flies at him to take him out, it's not a tackle its just assault. 

Spoken like a man who truly loves his tickle taka football this

• Haha 1

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting I think Trippier's tackle was intensely dangerous and nor do I think it was a red card as per the current letter of the law. 

But I do hate this cynical cheating shit being applauded like its tactically intelligent or wise defending. No, it's just booting a guy over because he's gotten past you. It's not canny or clever or cerebral it's just cheating. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Guest said:

This is why I can't get behind the "let it flow" mantra they're supposedly trying to lean towards this year. If anything I'd want more fouls being given, not less. Sick of seeing teams - and it is usually the better teams as well, with there being a provable link between number of fouls committed and points won - being able to instantly shut down counter-attacks without any serious punishment by just tripping or bundling them over.

But the games absolutely do flow better and the player histrionics have definitely been reduced (sadly not eradicated) because refs aren't having it anything like as much.  There's a line of course but fundamentally the change has been, for me, a God send.   

More fouls given?  I just could not disagree more really.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, taupe said:

I don't know the rules but I thought the challenge both cynical AND dangerous. That made it a candidate for red for me, so I wasn't surprised.

I thought so at the time, but as I am watching this on some hooky internet whilst on holiday, quality wasn’t the best (so probably should not have commented to be fair. :D)

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting I think Trippier's tackle was intensely dangerous and nor do I think it was a red card as per the current letter of the law. 

But I do hate this cynical cheating shit being applauded like its tactically intelligent or wise defending. No, it's just booting a guy over because he's gotten past you. It's not canny or clever or cerebral it's just cheating. 

I agree but is anyone really applauding cynical fouls like that?  

Edited by Bordersfox

1 minute ago, Samilktray said:

Spoken like a man who truly loves his tickle taka football this

I know you're on the troll but in fairness, it's sort of the opposite. What it kills more than anything is good counter attacking play. How many times have we had promising counters snuffed out against the top teams because some cvnt like Fernandinho has just straight up twitter Madders from behind. 

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Agreed.

Felt like Chellieni against Saka was a twattish move, as was basically every Fernandinho foul at Man City

Just now, Finnegan said:

I know you're on the troll but in fairness, it's sort of the opposite. What it kills more than anything is good counter attacking play. How many times have we had promising counters snuffed out against the top teams because some cvnt like Fernandinho has just straight up twitter Madders from behind. 

Yeah I’m joking finners relax mate 

• Sad 1

Just now, Bordersfox said:

I agree but is anyone really celebrating cynical fouls like that?  

Yes, all the time. Its quite frequently called a "clever" foul by commentators. Just like Grealish and Sterling and Salah are applauded as "clever" for "buying" free kicks. 

You know, cheating. 

• Like 1