Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

But by ‘letting it slide’ and it making a better spectacle, you are effectively supporting it, no?

As I said in another post there is a line.  For me the line has not been in the right place for a good while.  

It's always a balancing act, for me personally I much prefer the current move towards refs blowing for less or rather the 'meaningful contact' directive because overall I think it makes a better spectacle.  Sometimes they will still get it wrong. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yes, all the time. Its quite frequently called a "clever" foul by commentators. Just like Grealish and Sterling and Salah are applauded as "clever" for "buying" free kicks. 

You know, cheating. 

Perhaps you're right. I can't say I notice it that much but then the state of football punditry generally is so terrible I don't pay a huge amount of attention to it.  

10 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

But the games absolutely do flow better and the player histrionics have definitely been reduced (sadly not eradicated) because refs aren't having it anything like as much.  There's a line of course but fundamentally the change has been, for me, a God send.   

More fouls given?  I just could not disagree more really.  

Maybe "more fouls given" isn't the right way of putting it - it would be more accurate for me to say that I think that a lot of the perceived problems in the game could be at least partially resolved by properly enforcing the existing laws rather than always looking for ways to change or innovate. E.g. if you want to cut down on time-wasting, yeah I'm sure having a row of match balls along the side of the pitch will help, but you could also just start booking players for doing it - it's in the laws as a yellow card offence but the most you usually get is the ref strolling over and gesturing to his watch a few times. If you want to cut down on diving, book players who dive, don't raise the threshold for a foul/booking to the extent that nobbling players as soon as you give the ball away is the most effective, risk-free way of preventing counters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Guest said:

Maybe "more fouls given" isn't the right way of putting it - it would be more accurate for me to say that I think that a lot of the perceived problems in the game could be at least partially resolved by properly enforcing the existing laws rather than always looking for ways to change or innovate. E.g. if you want to cut down on time-wasting, yeah I'm sure having a row of match balls along the side of the pitch will help, but you could also just start booking players for doing it - it's in the laws as a yellow card offence but the most you usually get is the ref strolling over and gesturing to his watch a few times. If you want to cut down on diving, book players who dive, don't raise the threshold for a foul/booking to the extent that nobbling players as soon as you give the ball away is the most effective, risk-free way of preventing counters.

I take your point and that makes more sense.  

That said, I don't think the threshold has been raised to a dangerous level and I am glad it can be a more physical game.  With a caveat that I absolutely don't want to be at a point where players are kicking lumps out of each other. I think it's about right now.  Be interesting to see if there are more injuries which can be directly related to bad challenges this season.  That might be something to consider.  But I think it'll be fine. 

• Like 1