Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

6 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Opinions. 🤷 But I know which one I think causes more mayhem for defences 🤷

Assists and goals win games. Mayhem doesn’t necessarily do that. 

2 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Classic wind up clickbait ?

I just don't think Savage has the wit for that.  I remember when he was playing for City and they had an interview with him in one of the match programmes and he came across as being thick as mince then - I haven't changed my opinion decades later.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Screenshot_20220821-191253_Chrome.jpg

I get why it is done but there is nothing clever about it, anyone can just trip or hack a player if they wish. Really don't like the way it is almost applauded.

49 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Opinions. 🤷 But I know which one I think causes more mayhem for defences 🤷

Factually ASM is hit and miss. Barnes PL record is factually better than his and he shows more consistency. 

Don’t really get the dump on one of our best players. Compare him to Perez by all means 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Factually ASM is hit and miss. Barnes PL record is factually better than his and he shows more consistency. 

Don’t really get the dump on one of our best players. Compare him to Perez by all means 

Not a dump. Can’t help it if you interpret it as such. He’s a good player. But I prefer ASM 🤷

"Things Brendan would never say":

Thomas Tuchel said the win was nothing to do with Leeds’ style or press, what’s your reaction to that?

He can have his opinion. I think that our way of playing dictated the match almost entirely, limited them, created chances, made them make mistakes. If you if you saw their first games against Everton and Tottenham, if you give these quality players time, they can pass the ball all day and we didn't want to do that. We wanted to make them uncomfortable, we wanted to be aggressive but intelligent, and we wanted to push the game that way. And I think we did.

How did you feel at half-time? What did you say knowing that they would have a real go in the second half?

We were ready that if they played with built up with three or four that we were going to adapt. We talked about with the ball, what our match plan was and how to commit to the added to be brave with the ball, if we were at deeper at times and they were putting pressure on us to remain aggressive because we felt we felt that Southampton that we just not just that we defended deeper but we weren't aggressive enough and we invited pressure into our own box more. So I thought that part was good.

Then we said don't play backwards, don't play conservative, keep being on the front foot, keep playing, playing brave and they did that. It was really, really confident and strong performance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

"Things Brendan would never say":

Thomas Tuchel said the win was nothing to do with Leeds’ style or press, what’s your reaction to that?

He can have his opinion. I think that our way of playing dictated the match almost entirely, limited them, created chances, made them make mistakes. If you if you saw their first games against Everton and Tottenham, if you give these quality players time, they can pass the ball all day and we didn't want to do that. We wanted to make them uncomfortable, we wanted to be aggressive but intelligent, and we wanted to push the game that way. And I think we did.

How did you feel at half-time? What did you say knowing that they would have a real go in the second half?

We were ready that if they played with built up with three or four that we were going to adapt. We talked about with the ball, what our match plan was and how to commit to the added to be brave with the ball, if we were at deeper at times and they were putting pressure on us to remain aggressive because we felt we felt that Southampton that we just not just that we defended deeper but we weren't aggressive enough and we invited pressure into our own box more. So I thought that part was good.

Then we said don't play backwards, don't play conservative, keep being on the front foot, keep playing, playing brave and they did that. It was really, really confident and strong performance.

Nothing to see here. He makes more excuses. He was blaming travelling on a bus.

27 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Love how carried away fans get when their club is near the top after a couple of games. Southampton last year wasn't it? Now I see loads of social media posts about how great it is seeing Leeds upsetting the top 6 and challenging at the top lol

The early doors excitement of a team doing 'a Leicester', which no one has actually sustained, apart from us. 

Last season or the one before, Everton or Wham or someone were on to win the league, until the other teams played their 6 games in hand....

It's always happened that an underdog has a good early run and is high in the table. Mostly they fade away. The exact same was said about us. We didn't and that gives credence that it's not impossible now. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Love how carried away fans get when their club is near the top after a couple of games. Southampton last year wasn't it? Now I see loads of social media posts about how great it is seeing Leeds upsetting the top 6 and challenging at the top lol

I’ll never forget that year where Saints fans had a combined Leicester XI of mostly saints players. We went on to finish 5th and win the FA cup…

56 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Good for them. "Keep dreaming, why wake up?" 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

The amount the media are tripping over themselves to rim Newcastle for drawing a game kinda nauseates me if I'm honest. 

They're a really average mid table side that flustered Man City by pressing and countering, it's hardly the first time. 

Last season alone we put five past them at their place, Leeds drew with them, West Ham drew with them, Tottenham beat them, Leeds then beat them at the Etihad and Brighton beat them. All largely by doing the same thing, it's been pretty much the only way to beat Man City for years. 

They've even pulled Shearer out of the woodwork to write chapter and verse like it's their coming age and they've finally hit the big time and all of that. Meanwhile there's barely a word written on the BBC about Leeds absolutely thrashing Chelsea in a genuinely impressive display. 

Even the narrative Sky were trying to push yesterday was like it's the two big wealthy giants pitting off against each other as if Newcastle still didn't just have a squad of bang average journeymen, it was nuts. 

Best of the rest? Not only had it only been three games, they're behind Leeds and Brighton on the same points as Fulham ffs. Calm the fvck down. Every season there's one of these insane early over reactions to teams having a positive start but this might be the most sickening. 

For some reason they don't want to highlight the poor start by Villa or Everton, so makes for an interesting diversion.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

The amount the media are tripping over themselves to rim Newcastle for drawing a game kinda nauseates me if I'm honest. 

They're a really average mid table side that flustered Man City by pressing and countering, it's hardly the first time. 

Last season alone we put five past them at their place, Leeds drew with them, West Ham drew with them, Tottenham beat them, Leeds then beat them at the Etihad and Brighton beat them. All largely by doing the same thing, it's been pretty much the only way to beat Man City for years. 

They've even pulled Shearer out of the woodwork to write chapter and verse like it's their coming age and they've finally hit the big time and all of that. Meanwhile there's barely a word written on the BBC about Leeds absolutely thrashing Chelsea in a genuinely impressive display. 

Even the narrative Sky were trying to push yesterday was like it's the two big wealthy giants pitting off against each other as if Newcastle still didn't just have a squad of bang average journeymen, it was nuts. 

Best of the rest? Not only had it only been three games, they're behind Leeds and Brighton on the same points as Fulham ffs. Calm the fvck down. Every season there's one of these insane early over reactions to teams having a positive start but this might be the most sickening. 

not sure about this, there was quite clearly a major difference pre and post Howe for example

probably best you get used to it as Newcastle aren't going anywhere sharpish

3 minutes ago, Dave Fishwick said:

not sure about this, there was quite clearly a major difference pre and post Howe for example

probably best you get used to it as Newcastle aren't going anywhere sharpish

I'm not suggesting they haven't improved, it would be hard not to. But they are currently an extremely average mid table squad that will struggle to qualify for Europe unless the the league continues to be this inconsistent all season. 

And of course, give it a decade and they'll be right up there dominating in the top four, I have no doubt. But right now they're a long way off and the desperation from the press to celebrate them as if they're happy to pander to the sportswashing scum financing it is really tragic. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

The early doors excitement of a team doing 'a Leicester', which no one has actually sustained, apart from us. 

Last season or the one before, Everton or Wham or someone were on to win the league, until the other teams played their 6 games in hand....

It's always happened that an underdog has a good early run and is high in the table. Mostly they fade away. The exact same was said about us. We didn't and that gives credence that it's not impossible now. 

Interestingly about West Ham. Purred over and particularly on this forum. Currently in a run of 1 PL win in 10 and that was to Norwich. They are feeling the heat much we did and are 

17 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Interestingly about West Ham. Purred over and particularly on this forum. Currently in a run of 1 PL win in 10 and that was to Norwich. They are feeling the heat much we did and are 

Expectations change. If you've been good for two years the players are at a level that fans think should be the norm. Keeping it going is hard. Also, West Ham fans don't like the owners so won't take too much to turn.

1 minute ago, Corky said:

Expectations change. If you've been good for two years the players are at a level that fans think should be the norm. Keeping it going is hard. Also, West Ham fans don't like the owners so won't take too much to turn.

Went under the radar a bit but a Czech billionaire owns a third of them now 

1 minute ago, Corky said:

Always said Covid was the biggest blessing to that football club. Remember before it all kicked off their fans were storming the directors box? This could get ugly again.